ORPG Games?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Zyst said:
Eric the Orange said:
WC3 isn't really an ORPG as you define it. It's a strategy game, maps and goals are pre set. and you control an army not a single person.

So I guess what I'm saying is perhaps you should list some games from this category that you have played instead of a game from a different category.
Warcraft III just some custom maps that fit the bill:

Defi4nc3's ORPG
The Black Road ORPG
Curse of Time ORPG

This just to mention a minuscule amount of them. Remember Warcraft III with the custom map maker becomes a new game, I never actually liked the base RTS game much (Ladder as we called it) and despite that I can still say with confidence that it was the best game I've played.
Ah well you should probably mention that. If you name a game most people will probably assume you mean the way it came out of the box.

Though ironically I never played online matches only the story line so I never played any "ladder" matches.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
CriticalMiss said:
The Might and Magic games sound like they would fit the bill, I only have experience of having watched a friend play them but they are open world with dungeons and you can go pretty much anywhere from the beginning. They are easily older than 10 years so whether you could get hold of them legitimately I don't know, maybe something like Good Old Games will have them available?

Whether they are good and have a decent story is up to you.
I second Might and Magic. Both 7 and 8 are pretty good and not...as dated. Although they still look like a complete ass (used to even back in the day). M&M7 is my personal favourite. However, as mentioned they are 10+ years old - I think M&M7 is pushing close to 15 (it came out in '98 or '99). It's pretty awesome, since the enemies don't level but areas can still stay challenging. In fact it's as much "challenging" as actually they'll become possible to survive if you start oneshotting easier enemies.

souper soup guy

Aug 8, 2011
Mount and Blade is a very good suggestion, its a fairly simple game, but it can be as big and epic as you want it to be.

However if you are looking for a very unique experience I would recommend the X series, they are basically space simulators where you can do anything you want. Want to be a big shot trader and dominate the galactic economy, bam you've done it, take over the known universe, sure why not?

It takes a bit of time to get into but it sounds like something you would enjoy.

Duck Sandwich

Dec 13, 2007
Exile 3: Ruined World. You have a party of 6 characters. There's pre-made ones, but you can make new ones from scratch if you want. Combat is on a grid, (think Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Chess, etc.) There's tons of side-dungeons and secret passages to explore, cool spells (like a giant wall of fire, an overpowered bless/haste spell, and two spells that let you "capture an enemy's soul" so that you can summon them at will to fight for you (or if you want, you can use Capture Soul on a random townsperson, or their dog, and then create an army of townspeople/dogs to fight for you).

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Eric the Orange said:
WC3 isn't really an ORPG as you define it. It's a strategy game, maps and goals are pre set. and you control an army not a single person.

So I guess what I'm saying is perhaps you should list some games from this category that you have played instead of a game from a different category.
Well in frozen throne there was the Rexxar campaign.

OT: Well I 3rd Mount and Blade Warband. Other than that though, Far Cry 3 is an amazing open world rpg.

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
Scow2 said:
The Elder Scrolls are the biggest one I can think of, aside from MMOs. I wish I could think of more, but you're making me want to re-install Warcraft 3 because its ORPGs were so awesome... even if copying the save codes wasn't xD.

Unfortunately, I think Warcraft 3 still owns the market in that regard.

I'd say Mount & Blade Warband is NOT quite what you're looking for, due to its emphasis on raising armies.

EDIT: Oh yeah! Sacred 2: Fallen Angel comes to mind as well, and it's EXACTLY the ORPG formula used in Warcraft 3 games, but on a MUCH larger, more open level - The wide open map of an ORPG (I think it's HUGE), with the control scheme of a Loot'em'up. But now that I think of it, its loot system's pretty... wonky.

The first Two Worlds game, if you can get over the horrific Voice Acting, is also another good ORPG - except that you end up depopulating the world because of a complete lack of respawning enemies. I think the Gothic series works as well, but I've not had enough experience with them.
I looked at the premise of Sacred 2 and bought the Gold pack! Thanks for the recommendation, I hope it lives up to my expectations.

Duck Sandwich said:
Exile 3: Ruined World. You have a party of 6 characters. There's pre-made ones, but you can make new ones from scratch if you want. Combat is on a grid, (think Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Chess, etc.) There's tons of side-dungeons and secret passages to explore, cool spells (like a giant wall of fire, an overpowered bless/haste spell, and two spells that let you "capture an enemy's soul" so that you can summon them at will to fight for you (or if you want, you can use Capture Soul on a random townsperson, or their dog, and then create an army of townspeople/dogs to fight for you).
I'll check that out briefly, sounds extremely interesting. Thanks for the recommendation.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Depends on how open you want and what else you want exactly.

Arcanum
Neverwinter Nights 2 Storm of Zehir
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Ultima 4
Ultima 6
Ultima 7 + Serpents Isle
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Saints Row 3
Skyrim
Oblivion
Morrowind
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Are all open world to some degree. Some better than others. Ultima 7 is one of the best ORPGs I have ever played, with an amazing amount of detail to it that even new games have difficulty matching. The ability to bake bread, placing it on a hearth or by a fire, watching the dough turn into bread. To play any instrument you want to. Forge a sword, manning bellows, hammering it, utilizing water to cool the metal. Needing warm clothes to survive the cold, and magical spells to lower the heat upon getting too near lava to prevent heat exhaustion. U7 is as far as I know, still the king of open world RPGs. And with the way games have been trending for the past decade, I doubt it will be unseated soon.