Osama Bin Laden Celebrations labelled "Disguisting"

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
I know we really don't need another one of these, but I think it's quite relevant:

"THE director of the Forum on Australia's Islamic Relations (FAIR) has labelled US celebrations over the death Osama Bin Laden "disgusting" and called on people to be more reserved.

Kuranda Seyit said the images of Americans rejoicing in the streets of Washington and New York after US President Barack Obama announced bin Laden had been killed in Pakistan were not appropriate.

"I'm just totally disgusted about it," he said.

"(The celebrations) are just like the so-called reports by American television of Muslims celebrating after September 11, this is just as bad.

"We need to show a little bit more respect towards humanity, even if they're the bad guys."

Mr Seyit said the al-Qaeda leader had galvanised the Muslim community in the past.

"The way he is viewed now, I would say 50 in terms of pro and 50 in terms of against.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"A lot of people see him as a negative representative of the Muslim community.

"But then, other people see him as someone who is at least having a go at some of those colonial powers interfering in Muslim affairs."

However, Mr Seyit did point to the advent of social networking as a great way of breaking down radicalism and promoting democracy, as shown in the recent revolution in Tunisia.

"Connecting other people who have similar grievances through that medium has meant that people can talk about that and it helps people to be less radical," he said.

Nevertheless, Mr Seyit said he was sceptical of the news bin Laden was dead and was waiting for photographs of the body to be released."

( http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/us-celebrations-labelled-disgusting/story-e6frfku0-1226048586138 )

Now, personally, I'm inclined to agree. It's not that they're celebrating, Bin Laden was obviously a very hated person all over the world. But it's the fact that they're celebrating the death of a man, no matter how evil.

I think Mr. Seyit is absolutely right in that US citizens are doing exactly what they critisize Islamic communities in the Middle East and Asia of doing.

I think a bit of celebration is absolutely warranted, but I also think that a bit of reservedness is also in order. At the end of the day, this is still the death of a person.

What do you think?

Edit: Ooops, Sorry, I put it in the wrong forum, if any mods wanna move it to the right one

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
Thats FAIR. Hm.

I think thats true that we shouldn't celebrate a man dying.

EDIT: Been quoted about 8 times. None of which about the terrible pun.

pixiejedi

Jan 8, 2009
That was the first thing I thought when I saw that footage!!! I am an American and I'm pretty sure my facebook is going to get nasty by saying basically that.

Many Americans talk about patriotism and how this country is the best and everything, I like it and have minimal complaints but it felt icky just how reminiscent it all looked like. I guess I just would have hoped we would be mature enough to do a little yey on the inside and move on. The survivors and families of victims of his attacks really have every right to feel relieved though. They are the only exception though.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I think deaths in general can be worthy of celebration, seeing how the person gets to pass on to whatever happens after life and all that, but celebrating the murder of a person isn't something you should do if you want to come out of it looking like the bigger person.

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
It's not about maturity or any of that nonsense. It's good ol' fashioned shadenfreude.

It's what makes us human.

Feb 13, 2008
Harry Waizer, a survivor of 9/11, told the New York Times that "I just can't find it in me to be glad one more person is dead, even if it is Osama bin Laden."
But then, you saw small-town America's response to the Tsunami.

And I'm sure small-town Iran will be speaking of his assured place in Heaven.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Well, I wouldn't be celebrating if I lived in those places, I would be at home glued to the TV/Computer like I am now, but let's be fair. This is the man who planned the deaths of 3,000 Americans and would only kill more if he could have. All that said, there are no effigies, no rioting, no fires, no flag/picture stomping, and as far as I have heard, no attacks on Muslim community members as happened in the after math of the actual attacks (this is the way it should be and I would/will be ashamed if they happened).

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Harry Waizer, a survivor of 9/11, told the New York Times that "I just can't find it in me to be glad one more person is dead, even if it is Osama bin Laden."
But then, you saw small-town America's response to the Tsunami.

And I'm sure small-town Iran will be speaking of his assured place in Heaven.
Granted.

But for the last 30 years we've been claiming to be better and more civilized than them in every conceivable way.

Now it's time to put our money where out mouths are.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
I do agree i found it weird watching people in usa celebrating like it was new year or something.I do agree that this is a good thing bin laden is not in this world but partying because of it is not something you should really be doing.

Also expect some backlash from the terrorist networks this isnt the moment to be celebrating

Lem0nade Inlay

Apr 3, 2010
Totally agree.

I mean they have a right to be happy....but I don't think singing the national anthem on Ground Zero is appropriate somehow....

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
What's fun, is that this makes Bush right on all things.
All.
Things.

Torture, kidnappings, 5 wars are now completely legit in face of 1 terrorist attack.
And it's not him saying so.
It's his rival (?).

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Wolfy2449 said:
I think everyone who hates Bin Laden is <censored because honest offensive opinion=trolling on escapist>
Ppl didnt even know they guy, they have no idea about his motives or why he did anything. Stupid hate for no real reason...
Only think i know is that he looked cool in his photo xD

Even if he did kill someone i cared about i wouldnt go mad, i would actually like to talk with him but this would be impossible so i would simply go on...Even if he response was "americans suck, they need to die herp derp" i would still not hate him since he would simply be stupid, which i doubt this is the case since doing big things actually requires some brains.
Motives don't matter when you are talking about the mastermind of a mass murder.

CGAdam

Nov 20, 2009
People celebrate when an enemy falls. Always. They still have parades and celebrations in Russia commemorating the end of World War II. You can't tell me part of that isn't being glad the leaders were dead. The Italians hung Mussolini in the town square like a butchered pig. This is nothing new.

I'm going to sleep with the world that much brighter.

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
Any sort of overt displays of patriotism are general disgusting to me to some degree. Unless you fought in the war, played on the sports team or were part of the governing body that accomplished something, you don't personally have anything to be proud of. Being born in or moving to a specific section of land isn't an accomplishment.

That aside celebrating someones death is always going to see quite rude to a lot of people. Plus they don't even know what they are celebrating, this won't be a landmark power play in their "war on terror".

And having a Muslim group be the one to speak out on this, really? You need to hire new PR consultants, you are only going to piss off more rednecks till they are burning effigies.
Sarge034 said:
Yikes, did that post really just happen?

FoAmY99

Dec 8, 2009
Fuck that. the only reason i'm not out there celebrating myself is because I have to finish a final exam thats due in about 4 hours.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
xdiesp said:
Torture, kidnappings, 5 wars are now completely legit in face of 1 terrorist attack.
Listening to Obama talk about how "justice" had been served just made me want to laugh.

There is no justice.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Celebrating the deaths of thousands of innocents is not the same as celebrating the death of one mass murderer. End of fucking story.

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
FAIR said:
"(The celebrations) are just like the so-called reports by American television of Muslims celebrating after September 11, this is just as bad.
I was working on some final projects for school today (yes, a sunday) when I heard about the death of Osama. When I read the news I was calm. When I told others about the news, we were calm. I can't seem to get excited over this. Yeah, the man reportedly orchestrated one of the most grievous attacks on America in the last decade, but, I can't get my head around celebrating a death. Revenge was never a quality I felt invested in.

On the flip side, I didn't lose anyone, nor was I close to anyone lost in the sept 11th attacks, or anyone sent to Iraq (that was kia). So maybe I'm just not invested enough in the event.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
CGAdam said:
People celebrate when an enemy falls. Always. They still have parades and celebrations in Russia commemorating the end of World War II. You can't tell me part of that isn't being glad the leaders were dead. The Italians hung Mussolini in the town square like a butchered pig. This is nothing new.

I'm going to sleep with the world that much brighter.

Like I said, there's no way I'm ever going to stop Americans from celebrating this occasion. But perhaps something a little less "New Years Eve".