Other M Made Metroid Co-Creator Cry

Just Craig

May 21, 2010
I'm of the opinion that not every game really needs a story, or at least not some grand wannabe epic. As much as I'm excited for the new Metroid, I have to admit I'm kind of dreading the whole "now with extra story!" thing.

The thing about it is, especially with Metroid, is that for me the Metroid games are about exploring enormous maze-like worlds alone. Super Metroid was kind of the pinnacle of providing this feeling, although Metroid Prime was good at it too.

I didn't like Metroid Fusion much at all, and mostly because of how painfully linear it was compared to the other games. Shoving a story at you via an annoying computer AI was also detrimental to the experience.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I am so glad I recently bought a Wii. Now I'll be ready for this and Skyward Sword. This game looks pretty sweet.

Sounds moving, right? On the other hand, Kitaura jokingly offered another explanation for the tears: "Well, the cinematic did show Samus in tights."
Wait, what was that?

"Well, the cinematic did show Samus in tights."
Sorry, one more time?

"Samus in tights."
*runs off to pre-order*

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
Hmm Samus in tights, anyone else thinking "There Will Be Brawl" might have been an influence?

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I want this game so bad. The gameplay looks great, the story looks interesting, and... Samus + tights. Need I say more?

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Do we know these weren't due to the emotion of the cutscenes but instead the sadness of the horrific treatment his franchise is undergoing?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Amazing gameplay featuring first person view, great and touching story, amazing graphics and... Samus in tights... OMG... I'm SO preordering this right now.

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
Bobic said:
Do we know these weren't due to the emotion of the cutscenes but instead the sadness of the horrific treatment his franchise is undergoing?
Does it make a difference?
As long the game is fun it shouldn't matter how the franchise is handled, as long they insert a "press - to skip" feature.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Kiithid said:
Bobic said:
Does it make a difference?
As long the game is fun it shouldn't matter how the franchise is handled, as long they insert a "press - to skip" feature.
It makes a difference if you're Metroid co-creator Yoshio Sakamoto.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
Hopefully there'll be scope for exploration like in other Metroid games. If the game is mostly action focused, it could take the form of optional challenges. Add a strong storyline and you have a hit.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
Good to hear, although there's not much else to say. I am one sad panda because of the lack of Alesia Glidewell, though. I felt that she perfectly portrayed Samus's character in Brawl (what little we knew of it at the time) and the new voice is... eh, too high, too flat, not aggressive enough, and not, if I dare say, sexy enough. Not bad, per say, but... well, we'll see how well it works for 15 hours.

MasterV

Aug 9, 2010
Boo hoo. We have a saying around my parts. If you don't praise your home it'll fall on your head. This seems quite fitting here. Other M's cinematics will probably be made of fail story-wise. I for one am of the opinion that Metroid didn't need this kind of thing, and judging by the relatively recent Metroid manga mr. Sakamoto gave the green light for, my hopes are low indeed.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I do love it how games can make people come to tears, and show real emotion. Shows a real immersion in what your doing...

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Is it weird that the first thing i thought of when i read the title was that he cried because of pain, not joy? The kind of "what the hell are you doing to my creation" type of pain. I didn't realize that he was moved in a positive way until about half way into the article.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
i must say i never have been a huge fan of metroid games because i kinda sucked at them and the lack of decent story, but when a game is driven by a halfway decent story I WILL BEAT IT AND BECOME GOOD AT IT. The quality of the trailer from e3 look almost final fantasy good and the dialogue...i could feel it. It was moving to me. so i will definitely play this game.

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
And here I though that Molyneux was the only one to cry over his games. But it's a very good thing when someone gets so passionate about their game. Very rare, that.

pluizig

Jan 11, 2010
Thorvan said:
The new voice is... eh, too high, too flat, not aggressive enough, and not, if I dare say, sexy enough. Not bad, per say, but... well, we'll see how well it works for 15 hours.
So no Jennifer Hale anymore? Bummer.