Out-Of-Work Borders Employees Deliver an Honest Farewell

Furyaki12

Jul 20, 2009
littlewisp said:
What tickles me about these kinds of things are that while true, you also forget that they clock out, leave their work place, and become consumers themselves. Odds are, each and every single retail worker out there -- no matter their intentions! -- have done something to irritate or cause grief to some other retail worker.
This. It has always baffled me how some customers can act in such a way to a retail employee only for them to put on their retail uniforms and become angrily exasperating when dealing with another bad customer - you'd think be able to sympathize...or are some people really that vindictive and determined to spread the ire that customers have given them?

On another note, I've always had an issue with the fact that the higher-ups make so much more money than the store employee. I'll admit to being completely naive and ignorant as to what their job is, but is it truly more taxing than having to deal with certain undesirables? It leads to scenarios where the person who decided to raise the price of a box of cereal is paid loads more than the person who has to try to mollify a customer who's mad about the price of said cereal.

Ariyura

Oct 18, 2008
Rancid0ffspring said:
HAHA! Hell yes.

Did you store have a star bucks? People lining up rattling the doors on a Sunday morning.... Absolute savages those people.

One of our supervisors would tease them by finishing his morning team meeting, go to open the door but turn back to the staff at the last moment, pick something up and then say something like "I don't really have anything more to say but want these people to wait a bit longer, just look like i'm saying something important" Just to see the tremor of disappointment that they have to wait another 30 seconds for their coffee fix.....

Small victories. Sometimes we needed them.

RiffRaff said:
"I'm looking for a book" is correct. They walked into your store looking for a book. They didn't say they looked for a book when they hadn't. If they did you'd have a point, but if not then shut up and do your job.
They are not bitching about the fact that the customer is after a book.

It's the fact that they've walked in the door straight up to a member of staff (without having browsed, searched... anything) and said "I'm looking for a book". The correct phrasing would be "could you help me find this book" or "Do you know where I can find this book"

Yes, it was our jobs to assist people in finding the books they wanted and I know it seems a petty thing to get annoyed about, but it was infuriating.

I would also like to point out that I worked with some incredibly helpful and friendly people at Borders. Customers were really bloody rude in that store and did treat you like crap.

The only positive thing I have taken from that place is some amazing friends.

Oh, and if there was only one issue of that book left.... and it wasn't where it was supposed to be? Chances are someone was spilling coffee on it in Starbucks!
Sorry RiffRaff I think you have to have the experience of that situation a couple of times to really understanding where the underlying venom comes from. From an outsider looking in it might just look like spite towards the customers but I assure you it's not. I ran several departments in my store and I had no problem assisting customers but most of the time they enjoyed yanking your chain more than anything else. People seem to look down on you because you work in retail.

My manager would do the exact same thing during morning meetings but we had people lined up outside everyday even though there was an actual Starbucks right across the street they would knock on the window and point to their watches or stare at you until you tell them they have to wait another fifteen minutes because it's only eight forty five and they're screaming that they gotta go to the bathroom. We actually had one woman stand outside our store at 8:30 in the morning doing the peepee dance and screaming obscenities at the closed front door because we would not let her in early to use the restroom...

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
I hate some customers. They either ask the dumbest questions or act like dicks to you. I enjoy the few that realize that I don't control the store and everything in it, but am simply a lowly cashier/merchandiser/supervisor.

One to add to the list "Where is X item?" as they stand within arms reach of it.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
One thing that surprises me isn't on there and bothers me even though I've never worked in a bookstore is the people who go into a bookstore and stand there (and sometimes even sit down) and read the thing then and there so they don't have to buy it. It normally happened in the graphic novel section. People would just come in, take a book, and read it all the way through before leaving. HOW IS THAT OKAY!?

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
One thing that surprises me isn't on there and bothers me even though I've never worked in a bookstore is the people who go into a bookstore and stand there (and sometimes even sit down) and read the thing then and there so they don't have to buy it. It normally happened in the graphic novel section. People would just come in, take a book, and read it all the way through before leaving. HOW IS THAT OKAY!?

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Not sure if it was necessary to say that thing about Nicholas Sparks. Never even heard of the guy, but no one likes being told that their favourite author is no good- especially not in a manner that resembles objective fact.

Otherwise, the list was fairly amusing. Doesn't make me enjoy retail less, but then I do relish the sense of smug superiority that comes with keeping your cool as the customer's face slowly transforms into a tomato.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
hooksashands said:
Employers are always looking for people who have the patience of a monk abbot, because yes, customer service is not very fun. I was a trashman at one point. I drove around and picked up garbage, recycled bags, encountered raw human feces and vomit and sputum, and horrors the likes of which no human being should be meant to endure.

My clothes smelled awful, 'cause I worked with garbage, so eventually I would have to burn the clothes I wore to work. One time I was hosing down the compacter part of my truck and a mcdonald's salad cup with a piece of rolled roast beef stuffed inside it fell out, and the meat was swarmed with maggots that writhed and pulsed. Another time I observed (and carefully avoided) a hairbrush drenched with what I am fairly sure was human blood, like someone combed off a person's scalp with it.

Oh, but you work at a bookstore, huh? And... and kids make you occasionally replace the carpeting in their section. Sounds rough.
Cool story.

Uh I mean.. Sorry, here we all are bitching about our retail jobs, we completely forgot that that's not allowed. Clearly garbage men are the only people allowed to complain about shitty work conditions.
Please good sir, take this thread, we offer it to you and your waste disposal kinsmen in hopes that you will use it to ***** about all the yucky stuff you have to deal with.

Or y'know maybe theres enough room for everyone to ***** if they have a problem. What the fuck's up with your attitude? Nobody here said being a trashman is easy, I havn't heard anyone compare retail to other jobs in any demeaning way.
Not to mention there's no objective answer to "which job is worse". There are people who would have no problem with what you did, but would be scared shitless by retail. Likewise there are those who thrive in retail but wouldn't go near a garbage truck.

They are 2 different jobs, which suck for 2 different reasons. Feel free to complain about yours, but you don't have any right to tell us we can't complain about ours.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
fletch_talon said:
Uh I mean.. Sorry, here we all are bitching about our retail jobs, we completely forgot that that's not allowed. Clearly garbage men are the only people allowed to complain about shitty work conditions.
Only until the guy in the radioactive waste barrel [http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2314#comic] shows up.

II Scarecrow II

Feb 23, 2011
I totally agree, and for the most part, the customers I deal with are nice and amicable, even when we make the occasional mistake. Unfortunately, it's the stupid assholes that abuse you over the smallest thing that stick in your mind and make you hate your job

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
EverythingIncredible said:
I have actually worked in retail at one point and I don't think I've ever had the beef with customers that you guys had.

The customers were usually the best part. They were usually too tired or too casual to get into an argument with the employees. Because it only set back their own goals.

The management and co-workers were far worse. Especially when the conversations about the best masturbation moments come up. :\
where were you working?

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
The only issue I have with this is how self righteous it is - acting all kind of helpful and then being total douches behind your backs. Real mature guys.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
In a way I dont blame them, some retail stores REALLY cop alot of dick-wad customers. I'm gunna miss Boarders though, was my favourite store to get my books from and I was a gewd customer, knew what I wanted, went in, pick it up, bought, left.

On the note of it though, Retail work can be a freaking nightmare. I've worked in it for only 3 years (20yr old mind you) and some people are just twats. Thankfully when you get the grandma's in it cheers you up a bit as I've never once had a grandma not be so immense polite and kind.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I still work retail, because under the right circumstances (and in small, tightly-controlled doses), it's a hell of a lot of fun. Yes, some retail employees are dicks, and yes, retail employees talk shit about some customers behind their back (although this generally isn't a problem if you're not a dick), but believe me, if we didn't blow off steam to each other in less-than-professional ways every now and then, we'd be axe-murdering people.

We all have stories to tell. That list is incredibly tame, and I give props to the folks who wrote it for keep it civil from start to finish.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
dagens24 said:
The only issue I have with this is how self righteous it is - acting all kind of helpful and then being total douches behind your backs. Real mature guys.
Have you worked in retail? It might sound self-righteous from the outside, but every single thing on that list is 100%, certifiably true. And, realistically, a retail worker will only talk shit about you behind your back if you were a complete jackass. My coworkers and I are just as apt to sing the praises of our more awesome customers as we are to curse out the unbelievable jackasses.

Treat the employee with respect and kindness and you can pretty reliably expect to receive the same in return.

S-Unleashed

May 14, 2009
I always did my best to be nice, and respectful to them . It's a shame that they all lost their jobs. I my home town the borders guys and gals thought of me a good luck charm. They called me Blind D,a nd I loved them for it.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
*Takes off imaginary hat* *Claps slowly*

Bravo! Couldn't have said it better myself. Bravo indeed to all those brave woman and men who speak the truth. May the world remember their brave sacrifice and may we remember this list- nay, these rules forevermore.

Seriously it applies anywhere. :/ *Thinks of some similar rules for Gamestop*

-Do NOT leave your kids unattended and go to some other store. We're not a day care."
"If you're buying a game for someone else but you don't know what game it is, neither do we! Bring at least a picture of the game with you, will you?

-Yes, all brand new games are 60 bucks. They're not overpriced. Yes, you may go check other places. I assure you, we're not trying to rip you off.

-For that matter, don't say "I'll be right back!" when you know it's not true. We're big boys; you're not gonna hurt our feelings if you decide to buy a game at Wal Mart instead

-If you're angry about all the people showing up at the Midnight release event, guess what? We're MORE angry because we have to clean after you.

-We know you're not over 17 years old. Stop trying to fool us; we've seen it all. Like they say, proof or it never happened.

-Here's how it works. If you return a game because it sucked and the game was used, that's fine. If you return a brand NEW game because it sucked, how do you expect us to sell it again as new? It's as if you wanted your money back because your Happy Meal didn't make you happy at all.

-Stop trying to give you our discount.

-If we don't have a game, that's it. We don't have it. There's only so much we can do for you. We do not own all the games in the planet, sadly.

-Quick questions are fine. And we know you love games. But there are other customers who are just as eager to ask US questions.

-Call of Duty, Halo and Gears of War are not the greatest games ever. For that matter, being good at these games does not make you a video game authority.

-Yes, we know slightly more about games overall than you. So you, little 10 year old, stop pretending to know more than we do. We're just, what do you call it, patronizing you.

-We're not your maids: Treat us well and we'll do the impossible to help you. Treat us bad and...well, who's got more to lose?

-"Where's the PS2 section?" Have you tried checking the...PS2 section? With the giant banner on top?

-No, kid, we cannot sell the game cheaper, not even if you get it without a box.

Oh, man. I could go on, but let's stop there. Look, I LOVE my job. I really do! I love talking to people, I love helping those confused parents and geeky-as-me customers, I love telling people I think FFXIII was good while they're buying MW2, I love midnight releases, I love to try and give customers the best deal, you name it. And I'll never badmouth a customer because I've been on the other side side of the counter, where employees have been useless and rude to me for no reason at all. But if there's ever a customer that treats me like scum for whatever reason, oh, I'll be polite because A) My job is more important than a dumb customer and B) At least they won't be back. But yes, I WILL badmouth rude people because it's the only outlet I have. Nice people, hell, I'll welcome them any time of the day.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
Regardless of how they were treated and as kind as that note was, the comments in this thread have been quite insulting and not on the same level as that note. I don't think in any capacity should we decide to rage and insult people because they are "customers" and make it to be the worst thing on the planet. That is NOT the situation for everyone.

We should also not talk about work camps for people with children who might be unruly once in a while. God forbid.