Outcast - A Whole New (Open) World

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Outcast - A Whole New (Open) World

Outcast has its faults, but this early open world game absolutely deserves to be called "revolutionary for its time".

Read Full Article

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I know, right?! We were AMAZED at just the huge open world this WONDER called voxels made our PC's produce.
Before this it was always boxed into small environments so your super slow HDD and 4 MB high end video card didn't explode.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
This is one of those games that has been on my todo list for over 10 years or so, but I never got around to actually playing it.
Gotta start facing the reality that great games come in at a greater pace that I can actually play through them. So, unless a "good old game" is an absolute must-play, its hard to justify time for it when newer games are so much better.
I might have 20 hours for gaming next week. Should I play Witcher 3, Hearts of Stone, or Outcast? Hmm...

Guess I might as well scratch some of those games off my list.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
I had Outcast as a kid but for some reason was never able to make it outside the starting area.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I remember Outcast very fondly despite it few shortcomings.
They truly were ahead of their times there. Too bad it doesn't work on modern computers.
Does anyone know who holds the IP to this? A sequel would not go amiss.

As long as they don't implement over-the-shoulder view.
Or the wall-cover system.
Or quicktime events.
or DRM.

Modern gaming is in a sad state today when you have to add a bunch of caveats to get a good game.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Vendor-Lazarus said:
They truly were ahead of their times there. Too bad it doesn't work on modern computers.

Or quicktime events.
or DRM.

Modern gaming is in a sad state today when you have to add a bunch of caveats to get a good game.
The developers started a kickstarter sometime about 2 years ago or something. They didn't reach all goals, but they managed to release an updated version of the game that runs on modern PCs. Called version 1.1 or something. You should check it out on steam.
EDIT:
Looks like the remake might be happening after all. From their FB page on 29.12.15:
Dear friends,
In December 2015, Yves Grolet and the founders of Fresh3D, the three original Outcast authors and IP owners, fulfilled a long lasting dream and managed to recreate APPEAL as a studio.
Yann, Franck and Yves would also like to let you know that the studio is ramping up and is hard working on the reboot of Outcast. We will be able to give you more news in the beginning of 2016.
In the mean time, stay tuned and may the Yods be silent !
Happy holidays adelphians !

Vendor-Lazarus

Mar 1, 2009
NLS said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:

Or quicktime events.
or DRM.

The developers started a kickstarter sometime about 2 years ago or something. They didn't reach all goals, but they managed to release an updated version of the game that runs on modern PCs. Called version 1.1 or something. You should check it out on steam.
EDIT:
Looks like the remake might be happening after all. From their FB page on 29.12.15:
Dear friends,
In December 2015, Yves Grolet and the founders of Fresh3D, the three original Outcast authors and IP owners, fulfilled a long lasting dream and managed to recreate APPEAL as a studio.
Yann, Franck and Yves would also like to let you know that the studio is ramping up and is hard working on the reboot of Outcast. We will be able to give you more news in the beginning of 2016.
In the mean time, stay tuned and may the Yods be silent !
Happy holidays adelphians !
Now that you mention it, I do seem to recall that kickstarter.
Something seemed a bit off about it at the time though, or I would have kept a closer eye on it.

I will definitely look up v1.1, but not the DRM version. Thanks for the tip!

Keeping a hopeful thought for the reboot to come out without any of the modern trappings. ,)

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Vendor-Lazarus said:

Or quicktime events.
or DRM.

Umm, yes, yes it does work on modern computers - well, the recently released Outcast 1.1 on Steam and GOG does.

Vendor-Lazarus

Mar 1, 2009
Brad Tritone said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Too bad it doesn't work on modern computers.
You can also get Outcast 1.1 DRM-free for modern computers on GOG:

http://www.gog.com/game/outcast
Always nice to know that GOG has me covered. Thanks!

RealRT said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Umm, yes, yes it does work on modern computers - well, the recently released Outcast 1.1 on Steam and GOG does.
I was of course talking about the CD-ROM version I bought ..a few.. years back. ,)

fractal_butterfly

Sep 4, 2010
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Brad Tritone said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
You can also get Outcast 1.1 DRM-free for modern computers on GOG:

http://www.gog.com/game/outcast
Always nice to know that GOG has me covered. Thanks!

RealRT said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
I was of course talking about the CD-ROM version I bought ..a few.. years back. ,)
I remember, that I got that to run on a Windows 7 System, with the right patch. You should be able to find it somewhere on Teh Netz, or PM me. ;-)

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
I remember having that mount bug where I couldn't ride that alien raptor thingy because the game would flip me off, so I spent some time digging for workarounds. It felt kind of unfinished, towards the end you (I think) get a flamethrower kind of thing which pretty much one shots all the grunts and I think even the endboss was a chum. Iunno, it's been a while, I forgot

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Asking NPCs how to find other NPCs was my favourite part of Mount & Blade. "Sure, Lord Dicksbury is currently in the vicinity of Dicksbury Castle." Three days later, you ask the steward at Dicksbury Castle where the lord has gone, and he replies "He's in the vicinity of that city you were just at, three days ago, dickhead."

Apr 5, 2008
This game holds a unique place in my heart. It came at an important point in my life and my experience with it and of it is tied to some major personal events. For the game itself, tho it has been many, many years since I played it, I remember much of it. The lore voice acting, the symphonic score, the open world, characters and story were all fantastic.

I remember having trouble running it after I first bought it. It used some strange copy protection/DRM that didn't run on my PC. I phoned customer services and the guy I got forever made me grateful to him and his company. He was incredible, helping me through everything patiently for a long time. When we couldn't get it working, he promised to send me a replacement Disc 2. What I got in the mail was much more tho; as well as a replacement Disc 2 (which did work), he sent me the score CD, a bunch of other game and company memorabilia and a handwritten note from him.

Since then I've always loved Infogrames as a company, and still love Atari that they changed their name to. I'm a little sad in a way whenever they announce or release a new game now, none of which I'm interested in. I want to like their games because the company was good to me like no other company has ever been, but none of their recent titles are my cup of tea sadly.

I was a little annoyed when the Ulukai T-Shirts dissappeared from the outcast-game.com web site, and upset when the site itself disappeared years later. I really wanted that orange T-Shirt with the Outcast logo. As it happens, I found it a year or so ago elsewhere and promptly ordered one.

There is an "updated" Outcast 1.1 on Steam which is the original game tweaked so the engine can run on modern machines/displays. There was a Kickstarter to get a full, HD remake/remaster that I gladly backed, but was upset it didn't reach it's goal. I really hope they try again or do something. I would pay a lot to have the original updated and as much again for a sequel.

Lastly, the hilarious and obligatory "outtakes" reel: