Outdated Vs. Deliberate Design Choices

Machocruz

Aug 6, 2010
Shaun Kennedy said:
One of the classic examples is Turn-based Battle Systems, which is my preference, for many feels like a relic of the past that was only ever used due to design limitations
Because this is likely a defense mechanism, one that has no basis in reality. Real time combat in games predates turn-based computer RPGs. We have action-RPGs going back to the early 80s. A person can maybe make the argument that party-based real-time wasn't possible, but they would need to produce evidence.

It's a lie predicated on the defense of the new. It's a meme that started with one or two developers (like Jeff Vogel)and game "journalists" then trickled down to the audience, who love to parrot mindlessly anything that supports their position.

I mean, if a person can't see that without turn-based management (which is what it is, a system to manage a complex set of factors that would otherwise happen simultaneously) the AI would stomp a mudhole in the player's ass in games like like Wizardry, Temple of Elemental Evil, X-Com, Jagged Alliance 2, then there is not discussing game design with them.

hybridial

Feb 24, 2015
Phoenixmgs said:
hybridial said:
Best example for this to me is Classic Resident Evil vs New Resident Evil.

Classic Resident Evil is fun, awesome, feels different and feels like it has it's own identity. Oh but because some people find it clunky it's considered dated and Capcom were made to turn the series into a shitty 3PS that does everything everything else does.

I don't think people appreciated why classic RE worked and why everything about it's "clunkiness" was intentional design.
I only find clunky controls to break immersion because when I can't do stuff I can do in real life, my immersion is broken. In fairness, RE kinda pioneered 3PSs as RE4 was a breakthrough for 3PSs. Do you remember how shitty 3PSs were before PS3/360 gen? You can easily make a game scary with smooth controls, humans are rather weak (I don't see the point in making us any weaker).

Resident Evil 4 is also a vastly inferior experience to any of the classic games to me so ah yeah, I didn't care much for that.

The Suffering was a better horror 3PS and if anything RE4-modeled 3PSes are the worst examples of the genre. That and the ones that whore cover shooting.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
hybridial said:
Resident Evil 4 is also a vastly inferior experience to any of the classic games to me so ah yeah, I didn't care much for that.

The Suffering was a better horror 3PS and if anything RE4-modeled 3PSes are the worst examples of the genre. That and the ones that whore cover shooting.
I was mainly talking about the aiming sensitivities and such being smooth. Aiming with a controller in a TPS was really shitty with pretty much every game before PS3/360 gen. RE4 made great strides in that area.