outdoor cat

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
axlryder said:
The other option is to put her outdoors at night, which I really don't know much about other than "people do it". I also don't know if you need a cat door or if they're typically content with being outside from like 11 p.m.-6 a.m. I know they have their "territory", but what keeps them from running away? How do I know if she catches and eats a bird or something? Do I account for that in feeding her? If I do install a cat-door, will she still just come in at all hours of the night and meow incessantly when she gets bored?

I know she has a higher risk of parasites and sickness, but I'm not sure what other factors I'd need to consider. I also don't really know how that all works in the winter time. I know cats can be outside in relatively cold weather, but how cold is appropriate?
Even in the city you'll have to worry about wild animals, even in rural areas roads are going to be dangerous. With vaccinations most viruses are the least of your worries. Most outdoor cats never make it to 5 years old, 12 years of age is pretty much the upper limit. This is due to fights with other cats, other animals, even if your cat is a good survivor, it's a rather extremely harsh method of dealing with your current issue. It's also one no cat expert will ever suggest you do, outdoor cats have short, harsh, unpleasant lives, period.

What you need to do is play with your cat for at least 15 minutes a couple times a day, then once in the evening until the cat is literally too tired to play. This means getting a toy your will never lose interest in. The cycle is play until the cat is panting, once it catches it's breath repeat, each time the amount of play you'll get will be shorter, you're done once your kitty basically won't bother chasing the toy any more. Then you give the a treat, the kitty will groom and you'll have a much more restful night. This needs to be a habit, not just occasional thing. After a few weeks your cat will be fully set to calm down during your bed time and will lounge around for the entire night. It'll also be a good idea to invest in some food puzzles with a few treats, to occupy your cat's time with, if she's particularly restless. Also cat furniture, if she has one room she can navigate without touching the floor, that'll bolster her confidence, make her feel like she owns the space, which will calm her down. Also make sure she has access to window sills especially ones where she can see the most neighborhood, or animal activity outside.

The problem you seem to be having is that your cat is bored and you're not expending all her pent up energy.

A final note, find somewhere near your bed, that's somewhat above the bed, where you can put a cat bed. That'll be her place to lounge and relax while you're asleep, while not encouraging her to walk all over you at night when she wants to be in your presence during sleep. Make sure she knows that when people are sleeping she's not supposed to be on the bed, by moving her to her own bed perch near by.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Getting another cat sounds like a bad idea. The cat already sounds like it's stressing out and the idea of a competitor in an already controlled environment might make them behave worse. Honestly, I'd try cat toys ... and if that fails, then maybe they';re not thecat for you? Don't just dump it, naturally. Maybe one of your friends or relatives who have an environment more conducive to your cat's wellbeing.

Or yeah, just outdoor cat ... wait for it to die in a few years, and then don't get another cat.

I've heard good things about pet bunnies. They respond to small environments really well. They do all the things you want a cat to do. They'll curl up on you, you can pet them, they'll sleep on your bed, and they'll scratch the shit out of the carpet. Feeding them is cheaper, too.