Outlast Review - Squeal for the Camera

Jan 12, 2012
I loved the video that Roosterteeth did of Outlast; It's a tricky balance to give you a game where you are a competent adult who can run, hide, etc., but still leave you feeling terrified and vulnerable. Normally not into horror, but I'm with Jim, it's easily one of the best games of the last year or so.

Darth Rahu

Critic of the Sith
Nov 20, 2009
Waiting for this to officially show-up on the store. Gotta check this madness out. Is the Whistleblower DLC included or is that still in development?

ISeeColours

Oct 17, 2011
Glad PS4 is getting this. my laptop just runs it and no more so I didn't get to finish it.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I had to download the game on my friend's computer when it went on sale because my laptop just barely runs it. That being said, of what I played, it lends itself to start and stop play tactics. Play the game for 45 minutes, stand up, walk away, and come back, and the game becomes scary again. If you play it a bit too long, it becomes draining, which may be the point, but when I get drained, I stopped getting scared and become annoyed after awhile.

However, I don't disagree with Jim's Review. I bought for the same reasons Jim liked it, and I wasn't disappointed in what I had played, Great Review, Jim.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
inb4 "lol not scary".

I'm pleased to see it's heading to PS4 and hope it does well. It's quite a rush, I gotta say.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Saw videos of this game and to me it looks like paying money to shit your pants. Saw the videos by Achievement Hunter and I like my pants too much to play it, it looks terrifying.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
Jimothy Sterling said:
Outlast Review - Squeal for the Camera

A delightfully brutal terror festival.

Read Full Article
Is it really good? I was among the first to ***** about it back when the first teaser trailers dropped. Everything about it looked and felt like a big dumb action game. Then later I saw PewdiePie play the free demo and it STILL looked and felt like a big dumb action game. It actually WAS Survival Horror, mind you. You run away from zombies and hide under a bed, for crying out loud. But it didn't *feel* like horror. It was too fast, too epic, the baddies too muscley. The company chose to call themselves Red Barrels, for crying out loud. They basically named their horror game company "explosions in a first-person shooter." And don't even get me started on the constantly screeching violins even when absolutely nothing is happening. I haven't played it, so I can't say I think it's bad, but it's like they've been agressively marketing the message: "This is bad, we promise!"

Intellectually, I can see how they could have done both, embraced a Big Dumb Action Game aesthetic while somehow delivering a legit horror title. But it still feels weird to me. Should we be rewarding this behavior? Should we be saying to the next generation of horror game developers: "Yes, make your game look and feel like a first person shooter. Ride that Call of Duty aesthetic into glory. Horror fans won't call you on it, and you just might pick up enough spare dollars from non-horror fans who were fooled to justify that Unreal Engine license and all those ZBrush seats!" Isn't that exactly what ruined Resident Evil? What does Red Barrels know that Capcom doesn't?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Yeh...never been scared at a game before...as soon as i press that continue button my senses are literally on edge!

Currently trying to find a key card (near the beginning of the game...just been thrown out of a window by delightful chap) so i can get into a security room, can't find it though :(