Outlast This Launch Trailer, If You Dare

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Outlast This Launch Trailer, If You Dare

Outlast looks like it will be a good time, if your idea of a good time is a horrific, blood-soaked waking nightmare from which there is no escape.

Outlast, for the benefit of those who haven't been keeping up, is a first-person horror game that follows journalist Miles Upshur as he tries to discover the dark secret behind Mount Massive, an abandoned, dilapidated insane asylum, where some kind of dark shenanigans are afoot. Sunshine and lollipops, it is not.

The game appeared to have a pretty powerful Amnesia vibe when it first E3 preview [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120208-Outlast-Trailer-Unveils-Asylum-Horrors], in which she said, "It's tough for horror games to live up to the hype of being 'genuinely scary,' but Outlast does a great job of it."

Outlast is available now on Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/238320/] for $19.99 and is expected to come to the PlayStation 4 sometime next year.

Beat14

Jun 27, 2010
I haven't played much, but I dig it so far. I enjoy the vibe of the game. In all honesty I don't play many proper horror games, and I'm not sure how well I will fair. Graphics are good, could do with turning off the motion blur though.

I'm not sure what sort of pace is normal for people to go through a game like this, but I'm inching my way along xD

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
From what I heard it uses a lot of jump scares, still going to wait for Daylight and Routine.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
@josemlopes
Agreed. Might be scary for a while, but I expect it to be the kind of horror you get used to quickly. Perhaps they can vary it up enough so it doesn't get old too quickly, but the trailer really implies the cheap "BOOWAGGAWAGGAARRRGH!"-kind of scares. And honestly, the amount of blood on display makes me think this isn't going to be scary in the first place apart from startling the player.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
The game appeared to have a pretty powerful Amnesia vibe when it first hit the radar [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120208-Outlast-Trailer-Unveils-Asylum-Horrors] but looks now to be a little more "in your face" with its scares and action bits.
Early reviews of the game are saying that half of the time the scares are really genuine, but the other half are all jack-in-the-box/monster-closet moments.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Well hey... jack-in-the-box scares are still scares, cheap or not.

And if RaedWulfGamer is to be believed, it's going to make for a hell of an LP.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
I'd say this game is more like Condemned: Criminal Origins but without the combat while sharing similar mechanics with Amnesia: The Dark Descent like managing light resources and hiding from enemies. The first major scare of the game was a bit of a jump scare but the game really does do a good job of building dread and it is well worth the $20.

EdwardOrchard

Jan 12, 2011
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

Call me a wuss, but that looks scary as hell. I could not play that.
*From somebody who has literally seen maybe 5 horror movies in his life, and played one horror game (It was FEAR, and yes, even it was too scary for me).
**Don't actually call me a wuss, I have an ego to maintain.

Its odd though. I'll never play it, but, like Amnesia, watching a Let's Play of it would be extremely enjoyable for me. In fact, I'm going to go look for a good Let's Play right now.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I'll be buying this right beside an Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs preorder. I just finished watching Tim Buckley from Ctrl+Alt+Del do a full playthrough, and if the game is anywhere near as fun to play as it was to watch it'll be well worth its minimal $20 pricetag. I do not scare easily but this game tickled my horror bone, and yes that sounds bad but it's soooo true. Can't wait to try it myself.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Remus said:
I'll be buying this right beside an Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs preorder. I just finished watching Tim Buckley from Ctrl+Alt+Del do a full playthrough, and if the game is anywhere near as fun to play as it was to watch it'll be well worth its minimal $20 pricetag. I do not scare easily but this game tickled my horror bone, and yes that sounds bad but it's soooo true. Can't wait to try it myself.
Does it look like a game that would be worth playing after watching a full play-through? In case I decide to watch some of it before I choose to pick it up.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
I like horror games, I like them a lot but at the same time I can only take so much. there are some games that are just too scary for me. That being said I'm keeping my eye on this because I want to try and get used to these sorts of things so that I can enjoy them. If you haven't heard of it yet try taking a look at Among the Sleep as well. I don't know how scary it will be but at the very least it's an interesting idea.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i rather wait until its on special. im busy with SC blacklist and later on i will be busy with BF4 and AC4. amnesia was a ok but not scary at all for me. at times i got a bit bored. this one might be interesting but as i said, i wait for a wile until its cheaper.

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
Decided to give it a whirl seeing as I really have nothing to do this weekend anyway. So far great game. Definitely one of the best horror games this year. Tension never lets up and the jump scares that it does have are of the better variety. Jump scares get a bad rap but really they're only bad if they're used as a substitute for immersion and tension rather than as a boost for it. I feel this game strikes a good balance (as far as I've played). There are enough scary dudes jumping out at you going "BOGAWOGAWO!" to keep you on your toes but they aren't behind every corner.
Immersion is some of the best I've seen. The fact that your dude actually does things like put his hands on the wall when moving close to one near a door frame and uses his hands as aid while crouching as well as leaving bloody footprings should you happen to step in one of the many pools of blood adds a great deal of "presence" to the game. Any game with a first person perspective can take cues from this game.

There are some issues of course. For example once you realise you can quite easily outrun the mental patients they become a lot less scary and while this may change later on for all I know it seems like often it is better to just run past an enemy than to try to do any sneaking. The gore also gets a little heavy-handed. I feel like a bunch of dead guys in a pool of blood should be cause for alarm even if you did just outrun the fifth deranged rapist with an underbite today but here you can't walk two feet without stepping in some schmuck's brain.

Well well, more pants to be shat.