Outriders, the actually released version now

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
So from what I has been said I was loving me some Remnant and while I did not even get past the first area I love what I was playing.

Also the description of Borderlands meets Mass Effect which is what I wanted Destiny to be it accomplished like 35% of that.

So I might just go ahead and grab this now since I do have day off tomorrow and gaming to detox from my stressful job is needed.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The always importsant first patch notes/dev update (Setting the tone and all)

Ironing out server issues, fixing crashes, expected stuff.
Apparently reversing the kind of silly idea to have Matchmaking on by default, which causes a lot of extra server load, joining AFK lobbies, joining lobbies with someone who kicks you because they wanted to play solo, etc.

Working on restoring the inventories of people who got caught by the big loadout wipe bug (didn't myself)

Now controversarily, they are adjusting the gun-buff abilities. They've positioned this as "unintended overperformance due to a bug introduced late in beta" being adjusted back down. I guess you get one crack at that before it outright becomes a nerf. Because nerfs in this type of game tend to be lead balloons.

Also a cut back on some of the technically legit, but obviously silly farming methods. In terms of how you could pick pretty simple low level bosses, bumrush them eg the loot, die and immediately repeat from the start of the fight again. The boss won't drop as consisgtent loot in this fashion, and the quest completion only awards the super-gear once. This isn't the actual endgame stuff, just repeatable side missions earlier on.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

The bounce back and forth between "this game doesn't need to be online" and "I need a full squad to enjoy this" (which is only 3 people btw, so if he got to 2, it wasn't gonna change much to get #3 in) was kind of hilarious. Of course, the game probably could be offline for a "Solo mode", plenty of people have "beaten" (story line) the game on solo too.

The game does have server issues (though hasn't been a huge deal since last weekend Fri/Sat that I've noted *shrug*), partially their dumb decision to have everyone matchmaking *by default* which they admitted is flooding them. And partially Xbox throwing its wad of money to shove the game on Game PAss for free and add however many thousand (million) extra player load on to it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The bounce back and forth between "this game doesn't need to be online" and "I need a full squad to enjoy this" (which is only 3 people btw, so if he got to 2, it wasn't gonna change much to get #3 in) was kind of hilarious. Of course, the game probably could be offline for a "Solo mode", plenty of people have "beaten" (story line) the game on solo too.

The game does have server issues (though hasn't been a huge deal since last weekend Fri/Sat that I've noted *shrug*), partially their dumb decision to have everyone matchmaking *by default* which they admitted is flooding them. And partially Xbox throwing its wad of money to shove the game on Game PAss for free and add however many thousand (million) extra player load on to it.
I haven't seen a full vid, just a little bit of it. I'll probably look at the rest when I'm finished with work and either on the way home or when I get home. I have no interest in the game, because I do not like looter shooters. But if you are having fun, more power to you

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I haven't seen a full vid, just a little bit of it. I'll probably look at the rest when I'm finished with work and either on the way home or when I get home. I have no interest in the game, because I do not like looter shooters. But if you are having fun, more power to you

The tl;dr... he has legitimate points. But also a lot of oddly conflicting ones. And turning off matchmaking/MP would've stopped 98% of the crashes by the general accounting on reddit and such. Which is in a temporary workaround post that the devs have linked in the main screen of the game at this point. So yes, could be better, but they've acknowledged most of the mistakes, the main server outages on last friday/saturday they were giving out updates by the half hour on them, and so on.

His gameplay critique such as it was, is just uhm.... apparently he's really really bad at the game. The Technomancer is considered the easiest of the four to play, and has an AoE melee that freezes anyone that tries to rush you like that. IDK if he even realized he had a melee (and its the same R3 its been in every shooter game forever). Also in his footage he's lobbing his grenade kind of randomly wherever.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I've sadly realized over time I'm no longer a fan of Jim Sterling. I feel like he's become somewhat one note, and that note is shrill screaming. I know I'm the bad guy, because I understand that he's playing a character and this is what his audience wants, it's just not for me. I miss pre-full time soap box Jim.

I appreciate that he makes note multiple times to say his experience has sucked and he seems very aware that other demographics are having a good time. Since they seemingly got all the server issues resolved the saturday after launch my experience has been I'd say around 80-90% solid. Few bugs here and there, but I'm a PC gamer and I'm kinda used to that. Morrowind didnt have health bars at launch like...wtf. I think as the line between console and PC is becoming increasing thin and console gamers are getting access to more complex experiences they also are experiencing the issues PC gamers have dealt with since the invention of gaming.

That's by no means an endorsement or excuse. I came pretty close to requesting a refund Saturday morning when Id planned my whole weekend around a game I couldn't even quit out of because you cant exit the game until you login which is possibly the stupidest decision Ive ever seen. I also acknowledge were supposed to be boycotting this thing.

The problem is - my friends and I are literally having more fun playing this game together than we did when Team Fortress 2 came out. When a bunch of middle-aged nerds actually find a game they can get play together and get all nostalgic about the old days when we were teens living in a competitive team house it's hard to muster up the anger about a shitty launch.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The problem is - my friends and I are literally having more fun playing this game together than we did when Team Fortress 2 came out. When a bunch of middle-aged nerds actually find a game they can get play together and get all nostalgic about the old days when we were teens living in a competitive team house it's hard to muster up the anger about a shitty launch.
There is nothing wrong with y'all enjoying the game. Everyone is different. I am happy for you, and it's clear Jim has no interests, even if some of it is no dedication on his part. I know he was more than happy and excited when playing SOR4 on Jimpressions. I could feel and taste it. I stick around with Jim, because I like them and they still serve useful information.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
What I have played of Outriders I am enjoying and I am not upset at the purchase but damn this hurts as an impulse buy. I was stuck on the sign in screen and had to google the fix to that. And the matchmaking is ass. I thought I could get one in with randos or someone drops in but nohting. Like I felt left out of one of the key componets of this game. Shame really had a friend who was interested and told him to hold off.

Have not watched Jims vid but I can the things they will rightfully go off on.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
What I have played of Outriders I am enjoying and I am not upset at the purchase but damn this hurts as an impulse buy. I was stuck on the sign in screen and had to google the fix to that. And the matchmaking is ass. I thought I could get one in with randos or someone drops in but nohting. Like I felt left out of one of the key componets of this game. Shame really had a friend who was interested and told him to hold off.

Have not watched Jims vid but I can the things they will rightfully go off on.

The patch that dropped today is supposed to sort out matchmaking (unless you're on PS5, that got pushed back).

Basically, because they had matchmaking default to On, there was just an insane barrage of matchmaking requests overloading the server (between launch overload, and GamePass added on). And then even if you got through half the time you'd be with an AFK dude, or some solo guy who'd kick you because he didn't think it was on.

Granted, I haven't tested out MM, was mostly playing with my buddy earlier, but we had a lot less trouble with the disconnects and only one full crash.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
The patch that dropped today is supposed to sort out matchmaking (unless you're on PS5, that got pushed back).

Basically, because they had matchmaking default to On, there was just an insane barrage of matchmaking requests overloading the server (between launch overload, and GamePass added on). And then even if you got through half the time you'd be with an AFK dude, or some solo guy who'd kick you because he didn't think it was on.

Granted, I haven't tested out MM, was mostly playing with my buddy earlier, but we had a lot less trouble with the disconnects and only one full crash.
Been playing today taking a quick break.

Matchmaking is still wonky I did get a confirmation and accepted but nothing happened.

Game is still great and I wish I could get my friends on board but again stuff still needs to be ironed out. Also the it might be my gear progression but the gameplay fills smoother I don't there was anything about gameplay fix so I guess I am just getting the feel of the game and good weapons helping me out.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Worth noting, at present there's a potential bug that will wipe your equipped items and can stop the same character from logging in.

So if you were going to dive in, probably hold the horses there.

They are working on it (and deployed a patch Sunday morning, which is unusual enhough), and there's gonna be rollbacks for affected folks. Although some vagary of the loogt system means you'll get the same items, but may have different attribute rolls)

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Watched Nick's thing with Parris today. I agree with everything they said, though I'd go as far as to say that them not calling it a live service game was a factor in my picking it up. That term immediately put me off any game. I really do enjoy it just being a straight forward single player game with MM snuck in there. I'm still having odd issues as to when I can and can't invite and join my friends, but it's more nuisance than stopping our ability to play. Im a little bummed out that once you make world tier 10 or so single player is out the window. No way am I willing to admit defeat and lower it. I just join randoms when my friends are busy.

I don't expect I'll stick around once I beat the game, I get bored by that post game grind stuff.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

See, that guys clearly played the game, and understands at least of the mechanics.

Though I didn't mind the story. Its not edge of your seat or anything. The "Outrider" is probably purposefully dull as the generic stand in (he's also frozen for 37 years prior to the game starting, so he becomes the audience window for exposition). He does get his moments of charm in, usually when he's subtly calling out the tropes of it a bit. The rest of the cast tend to fair a bit better overall.

(Ending spoilers)
The ending is also a bit of s subversion. There's a lot of obvious telegraphing that we're iether getting the planet/gaia/nature fighting back against the technology spiel, or that there's timey-wimey stuff involved with the signal.

Nah, when you finally get through to the source of the mystery signal. Its another ship from Earth. Turns out one of the Warlords left back on eArth unified enough dudes to rebuild the other colony ship that blew up in orbit, and tech had advanced enough for them to beat your ship here. They were paranoid of natives that were controlling the anomaly with their soace-fantasy tech, and started imprisoning and enslaving them. Which started a wa,r the natives all mutated themselves into ferals to fight back, and at the end no one was left to suppress the anomlies.

You'd expect that dude hiding out in his ship to be the final boss like some JRPG villain, but nah, just old war criminal, Outrider shoots him in the head in the same cutscene then you head off to fight the Altered Feral Chief as the final boss.

So other then raging energy storms that occasionally give people super-powers, no ancient prophecies, lost civilizagtions, time loops, etc.

Mechanically speaking, yeah enemies can resist interrupts, but only if you hit them while a resistance buff is on them from resisting a previous one. Its a matter of saving your interrupts for the crucial big attacks. Takes some learning the bosses to get used to. And about 90% of the game is designed around mid, if not close range, forward pushing, so having to be kind of near a boss to interrupt isn't exactly at odds with the rest.

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
There is nothing wrong with y'all enjoying the game. Everyone is different. I am happy for you, and it's clear Jim has no interests, even if some of it is no dedication on his part. I know he was more than happy and excited when playing SOR4 on Jimpressions. I could feel and taste it. I stick around with Jim, because I like them and they still serve useful information.

Their easy street streaming vid was funny, even if I didn’t completely agree with the basic message behind it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
See, that guys clearly played the game, and understands at least of the mechanics.

Though I didn't mind the story. Its not edge of your seat or anything. The "Outrider" is probably purposefully dull as the generic stand in (he's also frozen for 37 years prior to the game starting, so he becomes the audience window for exposition). He does get his moments of charm in, usually when he's subtly calling out the tropes of it a bit. The rest of the cast tend to fair a bit better overall.

(Ending spoilers)
The ending is also a bit of s subversion. There's a lot of obvious telegraphing that we're iether getting the planet/gaia/nature fighting back against the technology spiel, or that there's timey-wimey stuff involved with the signal.

Nah, when you finally get through to the source of the mystery signal. Its another ship from Earth. Turns out one of the Warlords left back on eArth unified enough dudes to rebuild the other colony ship that blew up in orbit, and tech had advanced enough for them to beat your ship here. They were paranoid of natives that were controlling the anomaly with their soace-fantasy tech, and started imprisoning and enslaving them. Which started a wa,r the natives all mutated themselves into ferals to fight back, and at the end no one was left to suppress the anomlies.

You'd expect that dude hiding out in his ship to be the final boss like some JRPG villain, but nah, just old war criminal, Outrider shoots him in the head in the same cutscene then you head off to fight the Altered Feral Chief as the final boss.

So other then raging energy storms that occasionally give people super-powers, no ancient prophecies, lost civilizagtions, time loops, etc.

Mechanically speaking, yeah enemies can resist interrupts, but only if you hit them while a resistance buff is on them from resisting a previous one. Its a matter of saving your interrupts for the crucial big attacks. Takes some learning the bosses to get used to. And about 90% of the game is designed around mid, if not close range, forward pushing, so having to be kind of near a boss to interrupt isn't exactly at odds with the rest.
Exactly why GGManlives is one of my favorite reviewers.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Sad to announce one of my friends got hit by the bug last night. They have this weird function where if you're in a fight and someone drifts away too far, instead of kicking that person it resets the team and fucks everyone. When we came back he couldnt logon at all and when he eventually could his inventory is locked/gone. I'm weirdly enjoying myself enough that we offered to have him start over and wed speed level him, but I think we're basically just going to hit pause until this bug is resolved. I guess I'm saying I agree people might want to hold off or take a break until they get this patched.

Its a shame, I'm having fun, but I can't deny this thing has been a clusterfuck which is bizarre considering it's a triple A game. It's getting tiresome. I quite enjoyed Cyberpunk, but again it was an absolute train wreck. I'm not sure why I have such a tolerance for these things. Then again I do frequent bars who make a rum and coke thats all rum and a splash of coke.