Outside Aperture Answers Portal's Biggest Question

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
I always viewed Chell as the straight man (Woman) of the series, in contrast to the insanity of the aperture labs. You wouldn't think she actually cared about the cake or the companion cube and seeing that sort of portrayal of her character took me out of it. Also, this is isn't important (maybe it is) but at this particular point in the timeline. the seven hour war has come and gone. A more interesting concept would be an out of the oven and into the fire scenario where she escapes Aperture only to immediately encounter the combine. At the very least I would have expected more combine/dystopic imagery.

MarsProbe said:
Very good, I approve of this creation. Some nifty uses of portals there, from the backscratching to putting rubbish in the bin.

As an aside, I wonder why it is the Facebook comments for this short film are all (so far) positive while a lot of the ones that appear here on the forum are so generally a lot more whiney and full of nitpicking. Escapists, are you really all just that hard to please, or is it just that (perish the thought) the relative anonymity of the forums grants you the chance to be a bit of a grouch.

If the latter is true, then colour me disappointed. Chill out people, seriously. You are allowed to just enjoy something every now and then. It won't hurt.
We are allowed to dislike something, just as much as you are allowed to like something. Just because we have a differing opinion on a video doesn't mean we need to "Chill out". I know you are trying to act like the "Cool internet guy that puts all the 'haters' in their place", but you are just coming off as conceited.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
ThongBonerstorm said:
did anyone else thing using the portal to get out of bed was the greatest thing ever?
Honestly my favorite part of the video.

The premise overall...I dunno. Where is she, exactly? Why is she basically a squatter, from the look of things? Was she this bad off beforehand - is that WHY she applied at Aperture? Did she just run away from her old life after her escape?

It's a nifty video, but it seems like one that emphasizes the "fan" over the "film" in fan film. Not poorly done at all; just seems like there wasn't much put into the story, even if the way the story is told is pretty keen.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Daaaaaaaaw, that was so neat.

That was stupidly well done, I loved the aesthetics. So much attention to detail.

Also, I dont know about everyone else but im completely fine with Chell becoming a portal weilding chef. Imagine how quick she would deliver with portals and anti-motion boots.

Sudenak

Mar 31, 2011
irishda said:
She doesn't have anything though. Unless she was so poverty stricken that her house consisted of just a tiny tv and a betamax player to begin with, she went out and got this stuff after Aperture. That's why this doesn't work as a "life after" movie. It answers zero questions while just adding more. It's a cute, and technically well made, video, but it serves more as an homage than any sort answer.
I look at it in two possible ways:

1 - She just found some abandoned apartment near Aperture Labs and has been squatting there.
2 - In Portal 2, they emphasized science being all that really mattered, so it could be that those employed there only had Cave Johnson propaganda (Aperture food, Aperture entertainment, etc), and nothing else. So her apartment would just be empty, save for Aperture approved stuff.

Or she could just be banana-ham pudding crazy.

hamsteralliance

Sep 28, 2010
irishda said:
And where in the hell do you get a betamax in 2011? You don't even see that shit in pawnshops.
AFAIK, the Betamax player belongs to Eisen's dad and he bought it way back when. It's just been sitting in his office ever since. :p

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Haha. I love how people are taking this video as a continuation of lore and not just some (very talented) guy's "what if" Idea.
Problem that the girl is white? I'm guessing outside of Hollywood with no casting agents you have to work with what you have.

I loved it.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
I laughed so hard when she used portals to scratch her own back, that was good stuff!!

ThongBonerstorm

Feb 22, 2010
Mr Smith said:
Jandau said:
1. Using portals to scratch your own back is BRILLIANT!!!! :D

ThongBonerstorm said:
did anyone else thing using the portal to get out of bed was the greatest thing ever?
I was actually very impressed by this. I was starting to hope that this film would go on to show Chell applying her Portal skills to her everyday life. But still, I enjoyed it.
ya i was really hoping to be more portalness, but i assume it took forever to render and shoot and all that good stuff, so they limited it.

Gazisultima

May 25, 2009
I think this may be the best video game film ever :O I felt emotionally connected to Chell, even though I have no idea who she is really, even while playing the games themselves.