Ouya Already Has a Limited Edition

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
Ouya Already Has a Limited Edition

Ouya announces a last-minute offer and a new VEVO partnership for launch-day music content.

With 6 days left to go in Ouya's Kickstarter campaign, the company is making moves to attract last minute contributors to the console's development. It has recently issued a statement revealing a "last week of Kickstarter" special edition console, as well as a new partnership with music website VEVO.

The Limited Edition Ouya, personally color-coordinated by Yves Behar, is available for backers who pledge more than $140 to the project. Contributors who decide to stretch their $99 donation a little further to "cover the small production run" will receive a dark brown Ouya and matching controller, as well as any previous awards from earlier contributions.

Ouya also announced the formation of a partnership with VEVO to provide Ouya with high-definition music videos for the console's launch. Michael Cerda, SVP of Product of Technology at VEVO, says that the Ouya is "a natural fit" for VEVO's music programs.

"Through this partnership, we will bring our rich catalogue of over 50,000 high definition music videos and new, original programming from more than 11,000 artists to OUYA's groundbreaking new gaming console," Cerda said. "We support and share OUYA's vision that the future lies in being open and accessible for users looking for high quality entertainment experiences."

Ouya's Kickstarter has cleared 48,000 backers to date, and has pulled in a total of more than $6 million in contributions. The console's release date is planned for March 2013.

Source: <a href="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/279159
">Kickstarter

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Really looking forward to what these will be capable of. Gaming aside, HTPC capability more than covers the cost of contributing.

I'd be extremely happy if it gets some wireless video and audio mirroring from linux, win7, and osx.

Odin311

Mar 11, 2010
I am just a little leery of a console that only has 1 gb of ram, and 8 gb storage...

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
At this point the Ouya seems more like a portable computer that you just connect to a tv than a traditional console.
It's kinda like what the other main consoles are trying to become but open source instead, which I'm all in favour of and I really hope this works out well.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Odin311 said:
I am just a little weary of a console that only has 1 gb of ram, and 8 gb storage...
Me too.

Off topic, has anyone else noticed that it looks like a dreidel?

The_Craig1986

Jun 22, 2011
Mumorpuger said:
Odin311 said:
I am just a little weary of a console that only has 1 gb of ram, and 8 gb storage...
Me too.

Off topic, has anyone else noticed that it looks like a dreidel?
Holy Crap it totally does lol.

1GB of ram is twice the 360's RAM. It's true that it wont be able to compete with the next gen consoles graphics in any way or even come close, so if graphics are your issue than this console is not for you.

As for the 8GB of storage, you can plug in a external hardrive or flashdrive.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Graphics have never really been a deciding factor for me with games, so your news is comforting to hear.

...What level of Kickstarter does it take to get mine made out of clay?

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Ooh. Pretty. If only I had enough money to get one. Looks like I'm going to have to wait until release, and see how it goes.

newwiseman said:
Really looking forward to what these will be capable of. Gaming aside, HTPC capability more than covers the cost of contributing.

I'd be extremely happy if it gets some wireless video and audio mirroring from linux, win7, and osx.
If its able to run Android apps then I'm sure someone will develop something.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
I'm in for the lowest tier... but with all they are doing is talking about 'these people are with us!' rather than 'we are now addressing the points raised by our potential market about ethernet cables and international power sources', I'm tempted to drop even that...

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
so I haven't been following the ouya at all, can someone explain how this will work? is it all user-generated content? can you download any game off the internet? as far as I can tell this is basically going to be a larger version of iOS gaming where smaller developers can be noticed.

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
ritchards said:
I'm in for the lowest tier... but with all they are doing is talking about 'these people are with us!' rather than 'we are now addressing the points raised by our potential market about ethernet cables and international power sources', I'm tempted to drop even that...
They've already confirmed it will have Ethernet. They confirmed it in Update #3.

ritchards

Nov 20, 2009
Chatboy 91 said:
They've already confirmed it will have Ethernet. They confirmed it in Update #3.
...oh yes. They buried the lead on that one! Damn... now do I wait out for decent international power... wait for the thing to actually exist? ... or just go all in? (If they had power - bam! laser etched controllers...)

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I can't decide what's funnier, the fact that special edition is basically a different layer of paint/plastic color r that VEVO is supporting being 'open'. The little indie wonder cube is shaping up quiet differently from what I imagined it was back when the kickstarter started. Who wants to take bets on if they actually live up to there openness ideals or wind up being cowed by the partnership of other companies and subtly losing their soul?

The Random One

May 29, 2008
ritchards said:
Chatboy 91 said:
...oh yes. They buried the lead on that one! Damn... now do I wait out for decent international power... wait for the thing to actually exist? ... or just go all in? (If they had power - bam! laser etched controllers...)
Dude, if you're having second thoughts, just pull out your funding. They've got enough money that they won't miss your $90, and if you wait until the thing actually exists you'll know a lot more about it when you actually give up your money.

ritchards

Nov 20, 2009
The Random One said:
Dude, if you're having second thoughts, just pull out your funding. They've got enough money that they won't miss your $90, and if you wait until the thing actually exists you'll know a lot more about it when you actually give up your money.
Currently I'm only in for a whole $10. I'm willing to lay down that to be a part of the Ouya phenomenon... but I really want to be enthused for so much more... and yet...

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
Living_Brain said:
Is it bad I suddenly lost all interest and became unimpressed?
No I had a little interest when if was first announced, and then they started talking about it. I wouldn't mind a dedicated Android based console that I can plug into my TV to play games. But I started thinking about it really hard, and they started describing it. Why would I want a console that is the size of a Rubik's Cube? Why would I pay for something that can run On-live on my TV when I already have 3 PCs and a laptop? Why would I want something that can stream hi-def music videos to my TV when I have 3 PCs and a laptop? They aren't making anything that is ground breaking in the slightest.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Honestly I would love if they could deliver everything they offer. But I doubt it. that being said i do think they will release a console, and that it will function. It will probably be buggy, and be too difficult to use for the average person. So it will end up the Linux of consoles, fawned over by tech enthusiasts but ignored by the general populace.

So I guess I'm not in either camp, of the Doomsayers o the cautiously optimistic.