Ouya Announces $60/Year Subscription to Unlock All Titles

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
I bought an Ouya, and I was so underwhelmed. The games were mostly either ported from phones or broken messes, or poor ports of PC games still waiting for Steam greenlight or that had recently been greenlit. One fine example and I kid you not, I got a better frame rate from sideloading the mobile phone version of Sonic 4 Episode II than from the official Ouya release.

The media centre apps were unstable, and to be honest achieved a worse result than just connecting my other consoles to plex. The emulators ran worse than those on my PSP and phone.

The final straw was when an official update bricked my console. I had to pay international shipping costs (no pre-paid postage label) to send the console to the Ouya team, and it took a month and a half for them to send a replacement after having to hassle them constantly due to their administrative incompetence.

I received the replacement and thoroughly tested it before ebaying it for £70.

Oh also every game I purchased also came with an additional currency conversion charge.

Now I was not in any way expecting a blockbuster line up. I'm not one of those morons who's all "ehrmagerd it doesn't have CoD or Fifa". What was I expecting? Some decent indie stuff. I'll start with examples of obvious and well known indie titles, Fez, Super Meat Boy, Braid, Shank, Limbo, Cave Story, bit.trip.

I'm not saying that I'm pissed because these games weren't ported. I'm pissed because there wasn't really anything of comparable quality.

Seriously, to the 5 or so people in the world who enjoyed your Ouya consoles, I'm glad for you. I personally would rather just play the games on other platforms that can handle them more competently, and use my consoles' inbuilt DLNA features for media server purposes.