Ouya Replacing Original Controller

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Ouya Replacing Original Controller

A new version of the Android-based console, Ouya 2.0, will follow next fall.

Developers of the Ouya have already begun work on the next iteration of their hardware, starting with a redesign of their controller. The company has already started "quietly replacing" the original after poor customer response, according to Polygon. Changes include adding more texture to the thumbsticks, making sure action buttons won't stick when depressed and tightening the triggers.

"The feel of the controller today is actually probably a lot better then in June," said company founder Julie Uhrman. "Our goal is to build a great controller. We wanted to build something that was ergonomic, that had great weight, that had a great feel, that offered developers a different way to develop games by including a touch pad in the design ... We're constantly going to work and iterate on the controller."

The only problem, by Uhrman's own admission, is that purchasers won't know if their Ouya has a new or old version of the controller until they buy it. So, if you see a new display full of Ouya's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128998-Ouya-Heading-to-Target-Stores-Nationwide>now on sale at your local Target you won't know what controller you get until you check out and open the box at home. When asked about this, Uhrman responded that it's something all console manufacturers do, they just don't talk about it. Ouya has already started producing the newer model with older versions of the controller no longer being made.

Due around this time next year is a new iteration of the Ouya hardware, appropriately named Ouya 2.0. The device is still in planning stages and firm details aren't available just yet. Uhrman couldn't say just yet if the new Ouya will exist alongside the old one or replace that hardware outright. Ouya did announce earlier this year plans <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121990-Ouya-CEO-Plans-To-Release-New-Console-Every-Year>plans to annually release new versions of the console, similar to the mobile phone market.

Update: Ouya has been replacing defective controllers for customers, and Uhrman recommended people who have problems with existing controllers call the company.

Source: <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/25/5027940/ouya-2-new-controller>Polygon via <a href=http://gamepolitics.com/2013/10/25/report-ouya-20-coming-2014#.UmrHw_kWLl0>GamePolitics.com

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
The Ouya feels like a bootleg console developed in Russia. I don't think anyone of this website even has one. (Or hasn't already bought it, and has actually touched it since)

EDIT: I played an Ouya game. Can't remember the title. I played ten minutes of it.
Firstly, I questioned what I was doing. Then I questioned how they got the walking sound effect, maybe they pinched their cheeks really fast, or slapped a wet wall with a wet whip.. it founded like... fap, fap fap.... fap.... fap.... fap fap. Then constantly loop it.
Then I found a bouncy castle.
Then I realised that I was basically in Hell. A Hell that is the glorious city of Swindon, perhaps one of the most depressing places, in real life, now on the Ouya.

God bless whoever's idea the Ouya was... it's basically like an XBox Live Arcade, except with an entire console dedicated to it.

ellers07

Feb 24, 2013
dylanmc12 said:
The Ouya feels like a bootleg console developed in Russia. I don't think anyone of this website even has one.
I sort of do. My brother backed their kickstarter, then left the country. So, I thought it only fair to test his Ouya for him. It's a little underwhelming to be honest.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
ellers07 said:
dylanmc12 said:
The Ouya feels like a bootleg console developed in Russia. I don't think anyone of this website even has one.
I sort of do. My brother backed their kickstarter, then left the country. So, I thought it only fair to test his Ouya for him. It's a little underwhelming to be honest.
Hilarious, how they advertise it as a "safe-haven" for first time indie developers.

Most of the sales have come from Square importing the Final Fantasy trilogy and more to come to the Ouya's online store.

There went that heartwarming piece of non-existant sentimentality.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I've not been following this console but is this the story so far.....

Overly successful kick starter, bit of a drama at E3 with there stall being outside, Microsoft and Sony render this console useless, releases anyway with waves of negative comments aimed at it, redesign the controller and start work on version 2.0?

...If that's the case, I'd take the ordeal as a learning experience and move on. They could be taking the Thomas Edison work ethic? "I didn't fail. I just found 2,000 ways not to make a lightbulb; I only needed to find one way to make it work."

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Oh, the board game is called Ouija. Damnit.
Now how will the deceased get to play games? That thing doesn't look particularly ghost-friendly.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
When asked about this, Uhrman responded that it's something all console manufacturers do, they just don't talk about it
Good to know that Ouya is breaking the mold and blazing a new trail by doing stuff because other manufacturers do it. Or will they market this as the Ouya blind box? You could get any random part of the console, even the power cable.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Or you could just use a PS3 or 360 controller. You can get both working on Ouya with relatively few difficulties.

Kalezian said:
to be fair, it's often too spoopy for most people, good thing 'dead' consoles still get games released on them. Yes, there are games still being developed for systems like the Dreamcast.
It's one of the things I love about the Sega's final console offering: the homebrew community. Funny thing is that Sega themselves continued publishing games for the console long after having discontinued it, the last being as late as 2006.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I love using the controller with my laptop, the touch pad is sweet. I'll think about a PS4 controller when I can get my hands on one but I've never been fond of Sony's joystick placement...

The only weird thing is the up/downs are flipped on the Ouya compared to every other controller I've used with PC, nothing Pinnacle can't fix but it's still annoying.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
dylanmc12 said:
That's quite a claim, which is wrong as I do have one.

OT: Eh as they said all manufacturers slowly upgrade their hardware with small improvements like this, nothing new or special. I think the Ouya is getting more flak than it deserves.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Shine on, Ouya. I've been restricted to PC gaming since I was twelve, so watching this piece of shit and the crazy, amoral morons behind it flailing around is the most enjoyment I've got from a console in years.

I honestly hope they manage to release the 2.0, but I don't see how their company can survive that long. Maybe Tommy Wiseau can cut them a check or something.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
I thought that the Ouya is mostly used as an Emulator? Thats pretty much the only reason i want one.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Chimpzy said:
Or you could just use a PS3 or 360 controller. You can get both working on Ouya with relatively few difficulties.
Or you could just do pretty much everything the Ouya does on a PC. But better.