Over(50)Watch

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
See, on one hand, I agree with this, and raised similar-sounding complaints when they made some noise about Zarya's appearance (Granted this is Blizzard we're talking about, Zarya is REALLY out of their comfort zone to begin with) given... well, everyone else save Mei fits that Standard Blizzard Model. Really weird with Pharoh, since she's got the SBM... which raises a lot of questions like 'where are her legs' and 'how do her arms fit in the suit'.

But on the other hand... Genji's ass is so good I forget a lot of my complaints. Damn, this must've been their strategy. Distract everyone with Genji's glorious buttcheeks so nobody notices that the robots have more body diversity than the ladies do.

Ah well. Blizzard will figure out women age eventually. Maybe. Look they're still really inconsistent on the 'do women wear high-heels into battle or not???' thing after they kept flip-flopping with Kerrigan on it, so they're taking the slow road. At least it's something.

JemothSkarii said:
Just a note: None of the women are disabled.

Where's my moss covered GMILF in a Railgun enabled Wheelchair so she can be femBastion! Also she's a lesbian in a hijab so we can have some gay muslim mechanics!

You're being ableist Blizzard.

For the love of GOD Montressor I was being sarcastic
Not gonna lie, I'd be down to see that character somewhere. Mainly because I know someone like that in real life.

...what? Lesbian-Muslim-Wheelchair-Moss-Grandma(ok she's only 53 and isn't covered in moss, but still) needs a hobby, and Railguns count as a hobby!

Plus I can then be SUPER insufferable and say 'Hey it's you!' every time someone plays as that character. It'd be great, I've started to run out of things to get on her nerves.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Phasmal said:
I'm hopeful they'll add an older lady character in the future.

A non-human/robot lady would be cool, too.
Take all my fucking money, Blizzard.

ThatOtherGirl

Jul 20, 2015
Cowabungaa said:
Yeah, the whole age thing surrounding women is bullshit. Ask any older actress. Of course in games no actresses are disadvantaged, though maybe voice actresses, but it does continue that cultural paradigm of "we only have young women" and that's bad enough.

So yeah, it'd be neat to see an Overwatch hero who's my mum's age. I'm for it.
Well, the Overwatch cast does live in a future where you can point a stick at someone and it will heal bullet wounds, leaving no trace behind. I bet looking like you are in your mid 20's well into advanced age is child's play. Mercy probably invented a stick for that too.

And really, the whole ageless thing is pretty true of the male cast as well. About the only sign any of them show of aging is their hair turning white.

Also, Overwatch ages don't make a bit of sense. The initial Omniac crisis is set 30 years before the game and ended 25 years before the game, a war in which genji fought as a cyborg. His official age is 35, meaning he was at oldest 10 years old when he was beaten to the edge of death by his 13 year old brother for leading a hedonistic playboy lifestyle, at which he was turned into a cyborg by a 12 year old Mercy. Also, Winston was between 1 and 3 years old when he joined Overwatch, and Tracer had not been born yet when she joined.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Be careful guys. Saying that representation of women in gaming isn't 100% perfect means that...oh I don't care anymore. The representation of women in gaming isn't perfect and this age thing makes me roll my eyes. I'm sorry that I'm such a SJW.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Eric the Orange said:
Hmmm I hadn't thought about that yeah that is interesting.

Well I can understand tracer and her time stuff. But what about the rest of the ladies?
-Tracer was lost in time.
-Pharah is the daughter of one of the original Overwatch members, so she's appropriately aged.
-Symmetra was only a child when the original Overwatch crew was doing it's thing.
-Don't think D.Va was even born when the original Overwatch crew was doing it's thing.
-Mercy probably had plastic surgery, after all: she is the one that gave Genji that glorious ninja ass he's rockin'.
-Mei was cryogenically frozen so she didn't age.
-Don't know about Zarya, but she could pass for someone in her late 30's.
-Widowmaker was experimented on to slow her heartrate to being nearly completely stoped, this is why she has blue skin and probably why she looks so young as well.

Some excuses are better than others, but yeah: there's an excuse for each one.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
Mei is good because she won't have to spend half the time pulling her clingfilm tights out of her arse. Tracer's true super-power is moving without collapsing from inner bum chafing?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
ThatOtherGirl said:
Well, I get that, but all that in-game/in-universe explanation isn't really relevant for the lack-of-older-women point. Yeah the middle-aged dudes look a little ageless too, but there's still old/middle-aged dudes, even if it's mainly three-ish, and no old/middle-aged women.

Blizzard is of course but one example, and considering the overal variety of characters Blizzard could've done much worse in that department. But y'know, it's still something and a little problematic. It's worse for actual actrices. It does exist for men too, cultural works favor the young in general, but it's definitely a lot worse for women.

Also, Mercy turned Genji in a cyborg when she was 12? Damn son, that's some genius material right there.
Pallindromemordnillap said:
-Dragmire- said:
On a separate tangent, I kinda want to see fat Widowmaker.
Your wish is my command Dragmire!
Holy shit that's amazing.

ThatOtherGirl

Jul 20, 2015
Cowabungaa said:
ThatOtherGirl said:
Well, I get that, but all that in-game/in-universe explanation isn't really relevant for the lack-of-older-women point. Yeah the middle-aged dudes look a little ageless too, but there's still old/middle-aged dudes, even if it's mainly three-ish, and no old/middle-aged women.
Oh certainly, I get that. Mercy is like 37 which is middle ageish by our standards, but I think she is the oldest? And she is also incredibly hot and looks like she is maybe 24.

Blizzard is of course but one example, and considering the overal variety of characters Blizzard could've done much worse in that department. But y'know, it's still something and a little problematic. It's worse for actual actrices. It does exist for men too, cultural works favor the young in general, but it's definitely a lot worse for women.
I certainly agree. I was just pointing out that inherent absurdity of the Overwatch world. Making a bit of a joke.

Also, Mercy turned Genji in a cyborg when she was 12? Damn son, that's some genius material right there.
At the absolute oldest. That is assuming she only did it in the final days of the war. She could have been as young as 7, and Genji as young as 5. The official time line is incredible bullshit.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Phasmal said:

While I'm daydreaming, give me a playable animal character. Not like Winston, super intelligent, nah, just give me like one of those mountain-rescue dogs with the brandy. Have healing brandy and stun barks. Just a little doggy trying it's best. I would pay so much for that.

Kyman102

Apr 16, 2009
ThatOtherGirl said:
Also, Overwatch ages don't make a bit of sense. The initial Omniac crisis is set 30 years before the game and ended 25 years before the game, a war in which genji fought as a cyborg. His official age is 35, meaning he was at oldest 10 years old when he was beaten to the edge of death by his 13 year old brother for leading a hedonistic playboy lifestyle, at which he was turned into a cyborg by a 12 year old Mercy. Also, Winston was between 1 and 3 years old when he joined Overwatch, and Tracer had not been born yet when she joined.
Okay you're not wrong in that Overwatch's timeline is fucked, but... There's SO much wrong with what you're saying here.

You seem to be confused. The Omnic Crisis didn't last the entirety of Overwatch-the-Organization's lifetime. At first it was just a task group consisting of Torbjorn, Reinhardt, Morrison, Reyes, Pharah's Mom, and someone named Liao whom we haven't seen yet (revealed by an in-universe newspost). Those were the ORIGINAL Overwatch Squad.

After the Omnic Crisis, Overwatch became an ORGANIZATION that lasted for a couple decades, give-or-take, before being disbanded about 5 years prior to when the game currently takes place. During that time, we know that the following people joined:

-Mercy joined after the initial formation, in recognition of her skills with medical technology and medical nanotech. I'd wager that she was probably one of the first to join.
-McCree joined via being recruited by Reyes into Blackwatch, after being a former gang member.
-Genji joined after he got injured, saved by Mercy, did some soul-searching, and was mentored by Zenyatta.
-- Of a subnote, we know that Zenyatta is twenty, so it's possible that Genji became a cyborg about... Oh... 15 years prior (when Mercy was in her 20s and Genji was 20) and joined Overwatch around 8-10 years prior to the start of the game.
-Mei joined as well, after the fact, and was cryogenically frozen. I handwave her youthful face because y'know, some asian women STILL look like they're in their 20s into their 50s.
-Winston may have joined when he was in his early teens, depends on when the Moon Gorilla Uprising was. But according to a national zoo website, gorillas usually reach maturity before they're 10, so Winston could have joined when he was like, 13 and served over a decade in Overwatch without any problems.
-Tracer... Yeah, Tracer's age makes pretty much no sense. I throw my hands in the air and just say "Fuck it, Tracer's been 26 for a while"
-Pharah was ready to JOIN Overwatch when the base came down with a severe case of "Blown the fuck up".

Most of the others, such as Symmetra, Zarya, Junkrat and Roadhog, Zenyatta, D.Va, Bastion, Lucio? They were never part of Overwatch.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
-Dragmire- said:
On a separate tangent, I kinda want to see fat Widowmaker.
Sniper with a big hitbox, no thank you.
Though an arts rendition of that could probably be found on deviant art
Kyman102 said:
-Tracer... Yeah, Tracer's age makes pretty much no sense. I throw my hands in the air and just say "Fuck it, Tracer's been 26 for a while"
Her backstory reminds me of dr manhatten so for all i know and for all she's some sort of time goddess. Considering her time jumps can place her in areas she couldn't get to normally somehow (the implication being she just fastforward no?) i think the reality of the game bends to suit her. She's slowed terminal sped and allowed her to move upwards by going into the future no?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Wait, is the bearded guy supposed to be typing that stuff on the screen, or just reading it? If the latter, then the guy in the orange jumpsuit is making no sense.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Phasmal said:

My favorite characters in Knights of Sidonia are a talking bear (in a space suit!) and a huge sentient weapon that's somewhat girl-like in appearance, but half of the time we only see the penis-like tentacle she uses to communicate. Okay, it's a bit hard to explain right, but both of these characters are (and look!) awesome without serving as eyecandy. I'd love to see female characters like that in videogames.

Gasbandit

Jun 14, 2012
Mei is CANCER. Zarya is best girl by far. Mercy is close second. Zarya AND Mercy will win your team the match!

someguy1231

Apr 3, 2015
erttheking said:
Be careful guys. Saying that representation of women in gaming isn't 100% perfect means that...oh I don't care anymore. The representation of women in gaming isn't perfect and this age thing makes me roll my eyes. I'm sorry that I'm such a SJW.
I'd like to know who decides what "perfect" is...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Wait wait wait wait wait...there's a correctional facility for YouTube commenters? How do I report someone?

I honestly thought the comment section was where we sent people who couldn't handle normal interaction.

Zhukov said:
Uh huh. That's about where we're at.

Male characters can be anything. Female characters can be anything too... so long as they are also decorative.
That's pretty much where we've been at for like 20 years.