Over(50)Watch

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Mei is the best girl.

But just cuz she has the disadvantage of having been frozen, it's okay to deny her her actual age? That's some ageist able-ist shit right there.

SJWs want to say all the girls are mid-twenties and too pretty? What about the labeling that is happening? for shame Kappa

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Yeah, it's like when I say something against chainmail bikinis and whatever the fuck Quiet is wearing, it's because I find women in actual armors and proper uniforms way sexier.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
The Rogue Wolf said:
Phasmal said:
...so calm thy titties.
Excuse me, but on behalf of the tittie-less I demand that you cease your attempts to exclude us from this discussion.

[small]Also it'd be really funny to have a reptilian female with no breasts who gets tired of being confused for a male.[/small]
All humans have tits, there are no tittie-less, unless (gasp) you're a lizard person.

But a reptilian female would be awesome, especially one with no tits. For too long have I wondered if Argonians in Skyrim breastfeed. Which I very much doubt because apparently they hatch from eggs why do they have tits, Bethesda? WHY?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
The Wooster said:
She's officially on the autism spectrum according to to the game's writer, though I'm not sure if that's technically a disability since she seems to be your garden variety savant.
Nah man, as someone on the spectrum (though they constantly will-they-won't-they with Asperger's) I can assure you; that shit's a disability.
Kibeth41 said:
Pharah's mother is rumored to be Sombra, who is the next hero to be added to the game. She's older, although, she's apparently masked. The only image we have to go on her appearance is this..

At the end of the day, when you're designing semi serious characters, it's a lot easier to add age to a male and have them remain imposing, than it is to add age to a female and have them feel the same way.

Maybe one day we'll see a female with a comical appearance, similar to Roadhog or Junkrat. Although, people whined enough about Zarya.
That looks awfully much like Widowmaker's rifle though. But what's weird is that in the selection screen you can see she's listed with the Support section. So she'd be some kind of support sniper? Another sniper though...that'd be yikes.

EMWISE94

Aug 22, 2013
What bugs me more is how clean faced all the female characters are, like I know everybody pretty but damn son. Also on a random story tangent that I could be wrong about, why is Mei fighting? I mean she was studying global warming before taking a cryo snooze, then she wakes up and is like "Welp, rest of my team's dead and the worlds climate's more fucked than before... guess I'm gonna shoot people now!"

Actually the more I think about it the more I paint the headcanon that Mei is bonkers, goes up there with the Heartless Mercy fancanon that some people go with.

Newage

Aug 21, 2014
Cowabungaa said:
That looks awfully much like Widowmaker's rifle though. But what's weird is that in the selection screen you can see she's listed with the Support section. So she'd be some kind of support sniper? Another sniper though...that'd be yikes.
Thing is, we know almost nothing about this character. The scope we see on the monitor does not look like a sniper scope (they usually take the whole screen), looks more like a holo/red dot sight. As for the model we see, it's very likely they used Widowmaker's model simply because she's the only female character so far to use a rifle, not necessarily a sniper (after all, her gun is an AR as well). We don't even know if this is Sombra actually. It could be a completly different character. Which is very possbile, considering her name seems a bit too short for Sombra (see the weird white splooch in the top right corner of the monitor), and the fact that she is before Lucio in the Support category, and the heroes are in alphabetical order.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
CyanCat47 said:
Worgen said:
At least they don't do the anime thing where they all look at least 25 (or are stacked as such) but are actually like 12 or something.
It's even crrepier when a person looks 10 but they say he/she is like 400 to justify outting the character in an outfit that is meant to be sexy.
Uhh... what? Your post makes no sense.

Aug 31, 2012
Worgen said:
CyanCat47 said:
Worgen said:
At least they don't do the anime thing where they all look at least 25 (or are stacked as such) but are actually like 12 or something.
It's even crrepier when a person looks 10 but they say he/she is like 400 to justify outting the character in an outfit that is meant to be sexy.
I think he means when they draw someone that blatantly looks like a 10 year old in lingerie, but it's "ok", because they're really a 500 year old magical elf or other bullshit. Just like in that Awkward Zombie comic you posted. I guess he just didn't read the whole thread before posting.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Zykon TheLich said:
Worgen said:
CyanCat47 said:
Worgen said:
I think he means when they draw someone that blatantly looks like a 10 year old in lingerie, but it's "ok", because they're really a 500 year old magical elf or other bullshit. Just like in that Awkward Zombie comic you posted. I guess he just didn't read the whole thread before posting.
Ahh, in his original post he said 100 instead of 10.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Every game should just feature a 60-year-old black muslim transqueer lesbian character (who sexually identifies as a steamroller) to tick-off the entire diversity checklist in one hit.

With that out of the way, the developers can focus on the actual gameplay and narrative.

Sound good to everyone?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
They're obviously taking the Hollywood method of female casting here. Yahtzee was not far off the mark with the focus-tested characters observation. Kinda depressing, for female actors especially. This is a point that needs to be made though, at least this will get many to think for a bit. A little seed of inspiration can go unimaginably far.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Welp, that's about the only thing certain gamers will understand. Yahtzee wasn't exactly wrong when he said the characters were clearly created to pander to certain demographics.

"How dare you insult the young appearance of the characters. This is clearly the creators artistic visions. Stop forcing diversity."

"But what about people with a milf fetish?"

"By Jove, you're right!"

artisitc vision

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Yuuki said:
Every game should just feature a 60-year-old black muslim transqueer lesbian character (who sexually identifies as a steamroller) to tick-off the entire diversity checklist in one hit.

With that out of the way, the developers can focus on the actual gameplay and narrative.

Sound good to everyone?
If you want to have a focus on narrative so badly then why are you so sarcastic about diversity? Because if there's anything that's good for creating interesting narratives it's diversity. Different people means different perspectives means different stories. Gives us a creatively richer medium. Doesn't that sound good to everyone?

Lazule

Oct 11, 2013
If they ever make a new char it would be cool to have a cutie boy there, fuck old dudes they're boring & not eye candy.

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
Cowabungaa said:
If you want to have a focus on narrative so badly then why are you so sarcastic about diversity?
Because everything he just listed is a pretty superficial characteristic. That person could be in Overwatch tomorrow and it wouldn't change the game one single bit.

ItsNotRudy

Mar 11, 2013
Cowabungaa said:
Yuuki said:

Sound good to everyone?
If you want to have a focus on narrative so badly then why are you so sarcastic about diversity? Because if there's anything that's good for creating interesting narratives it's diversity. Different people means different perspectives means different stories. Gives us a creatively richer medium. Doesn't that sound good to everyone?
Different perspectives does not mean that every single character has to be of a different sex, sexual preference, religion and so on. Also, lol, story. It's a game where people fight over a car.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
ItsNotRudy said:
Different perspectives does not mean that every single character has to be of a different sex, sexual preference, religion and so on. Also, lol, story. It's a game where people fight over a car.
Well, yes, for Overwatch sure but I was referring to gaming as a whole.

As for the former thing; why not? We don't even 'have' to have this game, it's kinda a moot point. So what's the harm? What's the problem with having a plethora of different characters so that all kinds of people at least have someone they can identify with or feel represented by? Hell, or even for some people to be superficially be pleased by simple creative variety? Would it somehow be a problem to have a lot of variety?
UberPubert said:
Cowabungaa said:
If you want to have a focus on narrative so badly then why are you so sarcastic about diversity?
Because everything he just listed is a pretty superficial characteristic. That person could be in Overwatch tomorrow and it wouldn't change the game one single bit.
For Overwatch sure. Gaming as a whole? That's another matter. Because if you think a lot of those things are only superficial things you couldn't be more wrong.