Over(50)Watch

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Ruisu said:
"Heres this products with a lot of racial, genre and overall design diversity"

"But were are the old women?"

Oh for fucks sake

edit: I just noticed 'Gavsmum.Com'. Double "for fucks sake".
My thoughts exactly.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I think it's at the point where creators should just make whatever the hell they want because no matter what they do they're going to piss someone off.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
JemothSkarii said:
Just a note: None of the women are disabled.

Where's my moss covered GMILF in a Railgun enabled Wheelchair so she can be femBastion! Also she's a lesbian in a hijab so we can have some gay muslim mechanics!

You're being ableist Blizzard.

For the love of GOD Montressor I was being sarcastic
Had to look up ableist. Thanks for teaching me a new word. Also, this whole thread blows my mind.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
First off:
Secondly:
What Overwatch needs is more diverse asses. I mean look at Roadhog, just a glorious piece of manmeat. You know you want to rub oil all over that belly and slide down that pig like a slip and slide. But then you realize that the man somehow barely has an ass! WTF Blizzard?! Who stole his ass?!

I found no Roadhog butt image on safe search, but this Tracer/Widowmaker cosplay was too good not to post.

Seriously though... female characters who actually look like they're over 30 would be nice to see. Who knows? Maybe one day we'll get there, but I think (given the cartoony artstyle) they'd probably just add some gray to the hair and then she'd still have the skin of someone in their early 20's in the game.

The skin textures don't really seem like they'd allow for subtle aging like that, I mean even Reinhardt actually has the skin of a 20-something man - but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see them try.

Also, granny in a weaponized wheelchair = yes, please! Railguns on the sides, her melee is just her hitting the damn kids with a cane and the ultimate is her throwing her cat (cats?), which acts as a dot and partial blindness as the cats claws at their face.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
I think it's at the point where creators should just make whatever the hell they want because no matter what they do they're going to piss someone off.
This

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Kerethos said:
Seriously though... female characters who actually look like they're over 30 would be nice to see. Who knows? Maybe one day we'll get there, but I think (given the cartoony artstyle) they'd probably just add some gray to the hair and then she'd still have the skin of someone in their early 20's in the game.

The skin textures don't really seem like they'd allow for subtle aging like that, I mean even Reinhardt actually has the skin of a 20-something man - but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see them try.
Do a google image search of "40 year old women". If you converted those women into ingame females, you would still claim they look too young.

Better yet, realize the fact that women IRL try to keep themselves looking as young as possible and avoid disclosing their age. There's a $170 billion dollar industry built on that called the cosmetics/beauty industry. That's real life for you, and you're expecting a cartoony videogame to accurately portray an older female? How? There are asian women IRL in their 30s that look like Dva. Age is just a number, even more so in a game.

This is what makes me doubt people even know what they're asking for. This whole thread is a train wreck.
WinterWyvern said:
I think I had made a thread that spanned on many pages on this very subject. I do feel Overwatch's kinda sexist.

That's what I say, too: add some old/fat/else women in the game, and MANY people will discover new fetishes. Win/win situation.
Mei is pretty chubby. Oh but you want a completely obese female, right. So Overwatch is sexist for not pandering to your specific fetish?

Keep the train wreck going guys.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Zhukov said:
Uh huh. That's about where we're at.

Male characters can be anything. Female characters can be anything too... so long as they are also decorative.

Ah well. Baby steps. We'll get there eventually.
A wide variety of characters of different races, nationalities, personalities, and body types, and they still find something to whine about. I can actually see the hole where the goalpost used to be.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Metalix Knightmare said:
Zhukov said:

Male characters can be anything. Female characters can be anything too... so long as they are also decorative.

A wide variety of characters of different races, nationalities, personalities, and body types, and they still find something to whine about. I can actually see the hole where the goalpost used to be.
...The one it started in?

That's where it started, and stayed. Other issues got resolved and went away.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Yuuki said:
Every game should just feature a 60-year-old black muslim transqueer lesbian character (who sexually identifies as a steamroller) to tick-off the entire diversity checklist in one hit.

With that out of the way, the developers can focus on the actual gameplay and narrative.

Sound good to everyone?
Reinhardt, Lucio, Pharah, D.Va, pick one, Bastion. There, sorted. On top of that, Mei is chubby, Symetra is autistic, Roadhog is obese, and Junkrat is missing a leg. Any other buzzword to throw out there?

And "sexually identifies as" means nothing. It's gibberish.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
altnameJag said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Zhukov said:

I call Shenanigans. You ask for more women characters in games, you get more women in games but then start asking for more women of other races in games. You get more women of other races in games, then you start asking for more body types for women in games. You get ALL of that in one package, with the added benefit in that they all have distinct personalities that don't just boil them down to stereotypes, basically the BEST KIND of characters to have, making Overwatch quite possibly THE most inclusive game that's ever been released, and what's the response!?

"Where's the old women?"

That goalpost has been moved so many freaking times now, the field is mostly trenches now! I'm pretty certain that if Blizzard ever offers up DLC that has an asskicking Granny character, the response would be "What about trangendered women".

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Metalix Knightmare said:
Zhukov said:

Uhh... yeah. That's prettymuch how people work. They want a thing. If they get it, they go looking for the next thing. I would have thought that would be common knowledge to anyone over the age of 15 with the tiniest shred of life experience.

If it wasn't the case videogame graphics technology wouldn't have advanced past Pong.

"Jesus, we made the things on the screen move and now you want the things to actually resemble recognizable objects? What next, fucking 3D? When will you be satisfied, WHEN WILL IT END?!"

Funny you should mention the body types. I suspect you know this, but when the game was first announced it was pointed out that the males ranged from fit to dwarf to giant to a fricken gorilla while the females were all slender and sexy. (Sound familiar?) Then Zarya and Mei (and Roadhog) were brought out with the second batch of characters. I don't know if that was a direct response to those criticisms, although the fact that other second wave characters (Lucio, Genji, DVa) were referenced ahead of time while Zarya and Co were not suggests it might be the case.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Metalix Knightmare said:
altnameJag said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Zhukov said:

I call Shenanigans. You ask for more women characters in games, you get more women in games but then start asking for more women of other races in games. You get more women of other races in games, then you start asking for more body types for women in games. You get ALL of that in one package, with the added benefit in that they all have distinct personalities that don't just boil them down to stereotypes, basically the BEST KIND of characters to have, making Overwatch quite possibly THE most inclusive game that's ever been released, and what's the response!?

"Where's the old women?"

That goalpost has been moved so many freaking times now, the field is mostly trenches now! I'm pretty certain that if Blizzard ever offers up DLC that has an asskicking Granny character, the response would be "What about trangendered women".
My god, when will it end. It's almost like they want the same diversity in female characters that they already have in male characters or something. The bastards.
(And they already have a trans character in game. 2-3 depending on the implication of robots using gendered pronouns.)

EDIT:And the response, if my tumblr dash is to be believed, is "Overwatch is the greatest thing since sliced bread, here's a meme of Dad 76 telling agonizing puns to D.Va and Lucio." etc, etc, etc.