Over Gaming

CRoone

Jul 1, 2010
I can relate to the question at hand. I've been playing games since I graduated from the crib to a real bed, for the most part, but...well, Life happens. I had more to say than that, but frankly, I'd rather keep it brief. Bills need to be paid, work needs to be found, girls need to be asked out on dates, food and gas need to be bought, and sleep needs to be obtained before tomorrow when the same crap will happen again, just like I've increasingly found it to do so in so many video games I previously had an interest in.

Let's just say that growing up sucks sometimes and leave it at that, though. I've already spent an hour cutting down the essence of what I wanted to say to this much.

darth gditch

Dark Gamer of the Sith
Jun 3, 2009
Immersion is what makes and breaks games for me. If I cannot be drawn in, I can't really enjoy the game.

This is why pretty much all I play these days are RPG's and Grand Strategy.

mkline

May 12, 2010
Having just finished a marathon viewing of 5 seasons of Dexter, perhaps I would reconsider the power of movies and TV shows to create immersion. While I really loved the show and thought about it often, I never experienced myself to be an actor in that world the way I did when I played WoW--when I guess I (or my representative) actually was an actor in a virtual world. WoW was on my mind much more than Dexter, but I felt the same kind of seductive enthrallment while watching the show that I did when I played WoW. Everything on the screen seemed so fascinating, as if all the action takes place in a kind of hyper-reality--a place better than where I live--more interesting--more vivid--richer and endlessly intriguing.

I'm an inveterate reader and I really enjoy reading and thinking about books, but I never get that intense a connection from it.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
over gaming has hit me at least 3-4 times now. I just stop for a week to a month and catch up on shows/movies. Then some new game comes out and i get sucked into gaming once more wooo.

Pirate Brahm

Jan 9, 2008
Now Timmy, is this accompanied with thoughts about girls? You and I need to have a talk. And yes, there's supposed to be hair down there.