Over the Shoulder shooting

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Evening all.

I have recently been playing APB reloaded and have been left thoroughly pissed off. I despise the over the shoulder view. I cannot stand being unable to see to my left, it is like fighting with one eye shut.

What do you gois think of the over the shoulder view?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Love it and hate first person.

Third person gives you peripheral vision, lets you get a better grasp of the area's layout, makes it easier to judge distances (Making melee combat more satisfying and less terrible) and looks cooler IMO. First person just gives you BLOODY SCREEN SO REAL and not much else.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Kopikatsu said:

Third person gives you peripheral vision, lets you get a better grasp of the area's layout, makes it easier to judge distances (Making melee combat more satisfying and less terrible) and looks cooler IMO. First person just gives you BLOODY SCREEN SO REAL and not much else.
I am not keen on First Person either. I just can't stand having my character to one side. I must be placed centrally on the screen with the targeting doofer above my head.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Flames66 said:
Kopikatsu said:

I am not keen on First Person either. I just can't stand having my character to one side. I must be placed centrally on the screen with the targeting doofer above my head.
The problem I have with that camera scheme is that your character can end up blocking something important. Like the guy with a shotgun who is about to take your head off.

Edit: In the Resident Evil games, you can swap which shoulder you're looking over with L3. Would you prefer just having that option?

BiggyShackleton

Nov 15, 2008
Gears did it well. The angle wasn't too intrusive and worked well.

Not quite sure if this is what you had in mind for 'over-the-shoulder' but yeah, I enjoy what they did.

TheMagicIndian

May 11, 2011
I prefer third-person. You know you can change view in APB by hitting V, right? You aren't stuck to the one view.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Edit: In the Resident Evil games, you can swap which shoulder you're looking over with L3. Would you prefer just having that option?
TheMagicIndian said:
I prefer third-person. You know you can change view in APB by hitting V, right? You aren't stuck to the one view.
Doesn't do it for me. My character must be in the middle or in makes the game pretty much unplayable.

BiggyShackleton said:

Not quite sure if this is what you had in mind for 'over-the-shoulder' but yeah, I enjoy what they did.
It is pretty much precisely that look that I cannot stand.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Flames66 said:
Kopikatsu said:
TheMagicIndian said:
Doesn't do it for me. My character must be in the middle or in makes the game pretty much unplayable.

BiggyShackleton said:

It is pretty much precisely that look that I cannot stand.
Well...can you give an example of a game that you liked the camera scheme in?

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
depends.

games like saints row and red faction guerilla did third person well.

Then you have resident evil 5 which had terrible third person.

Lastly, you have games like red faction armageddon which are a weird kind of hybrid. Third person, but behaves exactly like first person.

If it is a game that focuses on movement or positioning, then i would prefer third person. If the game focuses on precision, first person.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Well...can you give an example of a game that you liked the camera scheme in?
I'll give ya several:

All games where my character stays in the middle.

Playing The System

Oct 24, 2012
I prefer over the shoulder view points in most games really, get a little bored of watching the end of a gun bob around constantly with some shooter games where there's not a lot of verity.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Eh. I prefer it if only because it gives your character a sense of physicality and weight, rather than just being a camera with a gun.

It's sad that I still get excited over seeing a game that adds legs to FPP.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
I liked the 3rd person view in the Star Wars Battlefront games. Option for 1st was there but I didn't usually take it.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Unless, as Yahtzee oft mentions, precision jumping is involved, I'd rather be in first person. It's more immersive. I can't think of any other reason to go third person.

-This is what I would see if I were following the protagonist around all game like some compulsive 7' reporter.

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
I noticed that Alan Wake has this vantage point, but has a toggle key that changed which shoulder you are looking over. Maybe that's a solution. Personally I usually prefer first-person for those types of games, but it depends on a lot on the gameplay mechanics.

Stepan_RUS'

Oct 26, 2012
I am not sure i fully understand your problem, but if you are trying to fire a Rifle, it is usually best to hold it to your shoulder to use whatever aiming device it has, so your fire is more accurate. it is also best close one eye, to have better focus on your target.

If you are in a close combat situation with multiple targets, depending on the situation it might make sense to fire without having the rifle on your shoulder.

mostly best if you pick single targets and keep yourself safe from return fire from other hostile if you are worried you cannot see them all. i hope this helped.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
I prefer third-person for melee combat, but shooting is almost always better from a first-person perspective.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
It is all to do with the angle really, some games get it right and some get it very wrong (Looking at you Mass Effect 2)