Overall Game Time

T.D.

Feb 9, 2011
Simply put, estimated total video game play time. Arcade games, Console games, Handheld, the lot.

I would say about 2-3 months on the pokemon games.

Maybe a month for my Bethesda games, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 etc.

Then there's the replays of Bioware games. 3 weeks.

The many, many replays of the original 4 Sonic games. 2 weeks.

Lost Magic, 1 week.

Zelda series, 3 weeks

Fable series, Persona 3, Deus Ex series, and old school arcade games, month.

So I would say about a year of my life has been playing games. Definitely more than any other medium, T.V., Film, Books.

So how much do you reckon?

keybird

Jun 1, 2009
Time spent gaming in one's whole life...a great question. I would probably have to say one year and a half to two years. Having said that, I love those years, but I'm now worried how much time I will have spent by the end of my life simply playing video games. But perhaps we shouldn't think about it that way, perhaps it should be a goal...

Thank you OP for giving me a new goal.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
...uh...total? Ever? okay, I'll have to math this out sort of.

I started when I was 4, so... I'd say I played as much as my parents let me, i'll say, 3 hours a day until I was 10.

which is already 6,570

from 10 until I was 21, I played games, at the very least, 8 hours a day. So I'll make that a generous average (I played closer to 10-12 but...i'll make myself seem less of a loser.)

and i'm 23 now, so with my job, I play about 7 hours a day average (5-6 on work days, 8-9 off days)

So, a rough estimate of 43,800 hours. or 1,825 days. Or 5 years.

At least. ...Fuck.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Figuring this out is rather impossible, but if we assume I've played for an average of five hours every day of my life...
That would make around 41150 hours, 1714 days, 4,6 years.
My actual score is probably higher since I know I've played WoW for over a year in total by itself, and it's not the only MMO I've been addicted to.

This thread made me a bit depressed.
Thanks, OP. ;'(

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Monster Hunter series- ~3 months
Kingdom Hearts series- ~a fortnight
Final Fantasy series- ~4 months (including the 15 minutes I played of 13 before I had to go suffocate a puppy)
Demons/Dark Souls- ~a month
Bethesda RPGs- ~2 months
That's all I can think of off the top of my head, will edit if I think of more worth mentioning.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I typically spend about...
-100+ hours on old school jrpgs because of the grinding involved.
-80+ hours on modern rpgs because of the extra content.
-Avoid Skyrim since it would drive a completionist like me insane.

Weekly, I spend 6-12 hours, It used to be 30+ but darn my full time job.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Seeing I've got over 3000 hours in Disgaea games alone... a lot.
I'd say I've got several tens of thousands of game time.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
That's a rather tough question... even for someone who's only been ostensibly gaming for about 10 years...

Average out at about ten to fifteen hours a week all things considered so... 5000-7500hrs total. *meh* Let's just say 250 days absolute time.

Not much then, eh?!

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
I prefer not to think about this! :p same reason i will never do /played on all my wow characters then add a good 200+ hours to that total for deleted and sold characters x)

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
T.D. said:
Simply put, estimated total video game play time. Arcade games, Console games, Handheld, the lot.
I really don't even want to know... BUT!

The hours that Steam tracks adds up to 51.25 days for me. (DCUO, Rusty Hearts, and Dungeon Defenders being the most time spent, all around 240 hours)

That of course doesn't include notable non-steam games; WoW, 2moons, DotA, DAL(BOS), LoL.

WoW I really can't even speculate. I played it probably about 6 hours a day for two months. So 360 hours or 15 days.

2moons... ugh... way too much time, probably near 600 hours or 25 days.

DotA no clue, a lot.

DAL (Darkness and Light, which was similar to DotA but went under). I had about 2000 games (iirc) during its run, luckily games had a time limit of 30 minutes + 5 minute boss fight so it's easy to calculate. So on DAL alone, 48.61 days.

LoL is probably just as bad, if not worse. I got into the LoL beta in late February 2009. This was back when we could only play during weekends; so I, like many, would go on legit 40+ hour nonstop LoL marathons every weekend. So 6 months of that is 960 hours or 40 days. Of course this doesn't count post beta time which is trickier, but I'd say at least another 40 would be a low estimate. So, minimal of 80 days.

So right now I'm at 219 days (but that doesn't include DotA). Which isn't bad. Except, these are only PC games in the last decade or so, and I've been gaming since I was a wee boy (28 now).

Some games over a decade old, or that I simply overlooked originally;

Age of Empires 2 might very well be the game I've played the most in my life. I'd say 1000 hours at least.
Age of Mythology was probably half that.
Quake 2 would be a huge one, can't even speculate.
Oblivion, hard to say, spent a good amount playing (200 hours maybe), but even more making mods for it.
Planescape Torment I've played through completely 5 times, probably 50 hour average per run.
Everquest and Planetside would account for quite a bit...
Freestyle Basketball is up there (yes, seriously), I'd say 100 hours to be safe.
Phantasy Star Online and Diablo 2 would be pretty big as well, but can't really speculate.
Final Fantasy 7/8/9 are all probably about 60-80 hours a piece.

Also, arcade games aren't included here... When I was a teen I was at the arcade quite a bit, mainly for MvC2 or Tekken Tag. Hard to track hours there because crowd rotation and such.

And again, with a few exceptions I can't really recall console games. I never got a console this generation, but had at least one system every generation til current.

Of course none of this includes the countless 6 hours or so games I've played, especially in the NES/Genesis days. I'm sure there's a few big ticket items I'm forget, I've played so many F2P MMOs it's disgusting. All in all if I had to guess, probably a little more than 2 years of playtime... which is really, really depressing now that I think about... edit: re-reading this post to correct for errors I realize it's probably significantly more than 2 years, but I might break down and cry if I give it some serious thought.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Pokemon: I know I spent a toatal of 13 days on my copy of Emerald, but that was the last time I actually checked. I have no idea how long I spent on my copy of Black, but I do know I could only play 5 hours of Platinum. Damn, that game sucked.

I spent a pretty long time on Advanced Wars. It must have been at least four days of my life. And this isn't counting all the other times in my life playing video games.

So... a long time.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
I have absolutely no clue. I would be interested to know the answer, but there is really no way to figure it out. All I can tell you is that I was playing arcade games like Pac-Man, Defender, and Galaga before the Atari 2600 ever existed, and have been playing games ever since. Thats... 30 plus years I have been gaming, I think??

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
oplinger said:
snip...

and i'm 23 now, so with my job, I play about 7 hours a day average (5-6 on work days, 8-9 off days)

So, a rough estimate of 43,800 hours. or 1,825 days. Or 5 years.

At least. ...Fuck.
You... you, uh, make me feel much better about myself. I never had limits on how much I could play games growing up, so it could have ended up real bad.

I've probably spent more time gaming in my 20s than the rest of my life combined (I'm 28), which on one hand is depressing, but on the other hand doesn't seem so bad.

I find that in my 20s my gaming has been, more than anything, a way to save money. I kind of have a problem with being obsessive when it comes to saving money, and I don't think gaming can be beat as far as entertainment/dollar is concerned. Plus, I've met quite a few people that have become real friends via MMOs, so I guess I can't complain.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Well. I played for maybe a couple of hours a day when I was young, bit extra on weekends. Call it 15 hours per week, from the age of about 5 through to... 13, ish? Then bump that up to about 30 hours/week, because at any one time I almost certainly had Halo/Oblivion/WoW eating up my time and fuck all else to do. That lasted for a couple of years. When I was 15 I got out of gaming and got sportier, so bring it down to 10 hours/week. Then, over the past couple of year I've been focussing on college, music and work, so keep things steady at maybe 10 hours/week.
Total all of that up...

6120 for those first 8 years.
4590 for the next 3 years. (13, 14 and 15)
1530 for the last 3 years (16, 17, 18)

12,240 hours, total. Works out as about 510 days / 1.4 years.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
I would prefer not to calculate that number. Wouldn't make feel too great about myself. Not as much @oplinger, but I'd say at least 3 years.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
I honestly can't even imagine - though from time to time I've been startled by how long a game tells me I've played. Still, I don't think I'll regret it... [http://kotaku.com/5919656/when-we-are-on-our-deathbeds-will-we-regret-the-hours-we-spent-playing-games]