Overheard Conversations that Anger You

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
We all overhear conversations from time to time[footnote]No offense intended to deaf members of the escapist.[/footnote], whether you be on public transport, walking down the street or just relaxing in your home while your neighbors shout at each other.

Does what you hear ever make you angry?

So I may be intolerant, but yesterday I was sitting on the train, traveling home from uni when a bunch of 14-15 year olds got on (4 females and 1 male). This was at about 1:20pm, so they were wagging school. Oh great, I thought.

Having noisily sat down, they proceeded to very loudly discuss the following:
1. How much they are looking forwards to getting stoned.
2. What a shame it is that none of them brought cigarettes.
3. How they didn't understand why x is fuck buddies[footnote]These are 14 year olds.[/footnote] with y.
4. How immensely cool they are for wagging school and how they don't care about the potential consequences.

People slowly filtered out of the train carriage, obviously disgusted by their behavior and language, but they continued to act like they ruled the world regardless.

The result of all this was me become gratuitously angry. I was trying to read my book at the time[footnote]Anathem by Neal Stephenson, requires concentration.[/footnote] and shot them glances that would have killed many a nervous individual[footnote]Considering I was large enough to kill them all with my bare hands.[/footnote]. They continued regardless while I gritted my teeth and thought of how much I wouldn't like jail.

So has anyone else been infuriated by the conversations of others, or am I just an intolerant idealist who should take anger management classes?[footnote]Suggest this and I will dismember you with a small but sharp gardening trowel. Not really.[/footnote]

May 23, 2010
I just wanted to congratulate you an your articulate use of footers. They really helped me understand how you were feeling and why you felt that way. I'm shocked that there isn't an award for this sort of thing. To clarify, I am not mocking you. Bravo.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
While walking around, I've overheard a very little snippit of a conversation saying,"No, it's not racist because it's good!"

Gah, I absolutely hate people who think like that...

Edit: Dammit, I forgot my standard 'tell them what they threaten against' thing...

"You're an intolerant idealist who should take anger management classes."

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
I just wanted to congratulate you an your articulate use of footers. They really helped me understand how you were feeling and why you felt that way. I'm shocked that there isn't an award for this sort of thing. To clarify, I am not mocking you. Bravo.
Oh why thank you!

Shows the NSW education system does teach you something useful.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
A girl who talked about the 2012 thing and bought it. Or at least didn't say "What rot!"

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
Sometimes on my way to work there were some morons (the sound of their voices might be even the sign of a true imbecile) I encountered that happened to be in the same card as I was.
Most of the time when I hear them coming, I plug in my earphones and ignore them.
This day the battery of my PSP was empty and I was f*cked. So I had to listen to their conversation that was about:

- The accident that happened on queensday where a driver went berserk and drove trough a crowd.
- How mutch that inspired them to go and play some GTA.

I really like that game so this is not me saying that games lead to violence. The lack of grey matter usually does those kind of things.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I once heard someone giving his friends a clumsy explanation of the components of the forumla e=mc[sup]2[/sup]. There were so many errors I felt like... um.. correcting him? But it was still really annoying.

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
I hate my curly hair, so I straightened it, and all day in the halls I heard people muttering that I'm gay, so after the twenty-fifth time hearing it, I spun 'round and socked the guy in the face.

Apr 19, 2010
I overheard a group of people complaining tat their parents took their phone (that their parents pay for) away and then they compared it to Hitler.

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
InnerRebellion said:
I hate my curly hair, so I straightened it, and all day in the halls I heard people muttering that I'm gay, so after the twenty-fifth time hearing it, I spun 'round and socked the guy in the face.
An excellent method of conflict resolution. Bravo to you sir.
FargoDog said:
I was walking in the supermarket near where I live the other day, when I heard a ten year old kid with a thick Scottish accent told his friend 'And then I stabbed him right in the gut, aye'.

All I could do was hope they were reffering to MW2.
Oh don't get me started on the 'ethnic' faction in Sydney. If I had a dollar for every time they threatened to 'stab' a '****'...

Dr. UBAR

Dec 24, 2008
All the time in school, "Oh yeah, that chick is hot" or "Oi, bring up her facebook, I wanna see if she's hot." In school mind you. (all boys one)

Also, at school again, modern warfare convos and how they don't seem to accept any other game exists or that they are all crap etc. Even worse when they start talking about guns from MW. I don't know anything about guns but I assume that MW is NOT the place to learn it.

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
twilight shit, i work as a cashier, and when the second movie came out on DVD every fucking person in my line was there to buy it, and they wouldnt shut up about edward and jacob and which one should win, and i was thinking well on one hand you have necrophillia on the other beastialality(sp? w/e dont care too much) so either way that is illegal.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
I got two. Multiple racist comments about Native Americans, which they only said because I'm white enough that they couldn't know I was one.

And my father talking to his father on the phone about a project I'm working on. His words were "Yeah, he's living the dream. Before reality comes in and crushes it."

Timzilla

Mar 26, 2010
Dr. UBAR said:
Also, at school again, modern warfare convos and how they don't seem to accept any other game exists or that they are all crap etc. Even worse when they start talking about guns from MW. I don't know anything about guns but I assume that MW is NOT the place to learn it.
Awww, you beat me to the punch

The Geek Lord

Apr 15, 2009
I live in California, and I'm in a public high school. Allow me to summarize the utter stupidity I have to put up with over the school year.

"Blah blah blah Twilight[footnote]Stop bitching about it, guys, that means I have to deal with it, too.[/footnote] blah blah blah gays are bad[footnote]Yes, I am well aware that 49% of voters were against prop 8. What part of "public high school" did YOU not understand?[/footnote] blah blah blah I am da greatest hurr hurr blah blah blah rap."

At the end of my sophomore year, I was so fed up with at that on the way out I just rose my hand up as high as I could and gave the entire school the finger.

If you read my little summarization, you'll probably understand why I'm so utterly confused when my dad bitches about my video game habits. I'm tempted to ask him, "What? You want me to bottle up my genocidal rage? Okay, whatever you say, dad."

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
I want to bang my head against a wall whenever my parents start talking politics. I consider myself to be fairly liberal, while they are conservatives. Which would be fine...but they're the type that actually take people like Glenn Beck and Bill O' Reily seriously. Heck, my Dad even likes Sarah Palin so much that she bought her biography and wants her to run for president. (I will kill myself if that ever happens. Kudos to my Mom, though. She doesn't think her suitable for president either.) I can't really tolerate either of those guys, and having my parents discuss politics around me is just like having two tv's blaring with Beck on one and O' Reily on the other.

I do my best to just ignore them, as I'm quite content with them not knowing I'm a Democratic atheist. I'm not letting that cat out of the bag until I have to. (So probably the next U.S Presidential election)

Liebermann

Apr 28, 2010
Aby_Z said:
,"No, it's not racist because it's good!"
Hmm.
Immigration caps are "not racist because it's good" when the population has clearly exceeded resources available. AKA. Benifits from the tax payer can no longer sustain the number of sponges.
I said it. Do you hate me for thinking that?

OT: Yes, everything i hear makes me angry, but i suck it up and realise i have the problem in thinking that, not the people the saying the thing that makes me angry.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
Liebermann said:
Aby_Z said:
,"No, it's not racist because it's good!"
Hmm.
Immigration caps are "not racist because it's good" when the population has clearly exceeded resources available. AKA. Benifits from the tax payer can no longer sustain the number of sponges.
I said it. Do you hate me for thinking that?
Eh? Ok, here's some context for you:

The guy was mentioning an asian stereotype, "You're good at math because you're asian." and he said that that statement wasn't racist because it was a good thing.

It's like when some black people will say "I'm not racist; I'm black!"

S.R.S.

Nov 3, 2009
Lining up for a movie (can't remember which) but it was around the time when the second twilight movie was out. Must of looked really odd to see a 6 foot bloke stand in line with a bunch of 14 year old girls. Oh and their conversations was something you'd read in a chat room for the dyslectic.