Overlooked Films

Chanticoblues

Apr 6, 2016
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Reading this thread one would think that USA is the only country that makes movies.

(Overlooked ones, at that)
A little unfair. I imagine most people here are Anglophones, if not American, and it can be hard to judge if something is overlooked if it's actually popular enough in its country of origin---which isn't always easy to know.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Chanticoblues said:
Reading this thread one would think that USA is the only country that makes movies.

A little unfair. I imagine most people here are Anglophones, if not American, and it can be hard to judge if something is overlooked if it's actually popular enough in its country of origin---which isn't always easy to know.
Being an Anglophone doesn't mean you can't watch non-English language films. This was true since the invention of subtitles.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Nobody ever seems to talk about The Illusionist, and I thought that one was really good. Had a lot of style, and a great twist. I wish I could think of more to say about it but it's been a really long time since I've seen it. I think I need to watch it again.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Samtemdo8 said:
Steven Speilberg's War of the Worlds. AKA the movie Godzilla 2014 should have been:
I hated that movie, it made no sense.

The aliens don't seem to know what they want to do with humanity. First they are vaporizing random civilians, then they are mulching them, and then I think they are capturing them? Doesn't seem to be much reason to it. And what the heck was with the red vines?

And the ending. Oh that ending. They die. The aliens just die. Because of bacteria. In their SPACESHIPS, which presumably traveled through the vacuum of space. I can't imagine how that is supposed to make sense. Even if it made a lick of sense, it's a massive anticlimax that ruins what little there was to like about the film.
archangelm127 said:
"UHF." Written by, produced by, and starring Weird Al Yankovic. It's actually a wonderfully funny movie with tons of heart. Nobody knows about it because it released on the same weekend as "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade."
I'm a big fan of Weird Al. I've been meaning to watch that movie, just never seem to get around to watching many movies.

Dec 10, 2012
Chanticoblues said:

Being an Anglophone doesn't mean you can't watch non-English language films. This was true since the invention of subtitles.
That still doesn't mean everyone here is some kind of philistine for not seeking out foreign films. I have no problem reading dialogue in a movie, but when it's the whole movie it becomes tiring. Also it's much harder to judge the quality of an actor's performance when it's in a language you don't understand, and for me at least, making that judgement as the film unfolds is one of the most enjoyable things about watching movies.

Chanticoblues

Apr 6, 2016
Chanticoblues said:

That wasn't my point. I watch far more non-English films than I do films in English. My point is whether a film is overlooked isn't easy to judge if you don't account for its popularity in the country of origin. An example: Marketa Lazarova isn't, relatively speaking, a widely known film, but it's considered the greatest Czech film of all time by Czech critics and historians.

So I could name a bunch of films that I think are overlooked from other countries, but I can't really say for certain if that's the case in their countries of origin.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Drathnoxis said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Steven Speilberg's War of the Worlds. AKA the movie Godzilla 2014 should have been:
I hated that movie, it made no sense.

The aliens don't seem to know what they want to do with humanity. First they are vaporizing random civilians, then they are mulching them, and then I think they are capturing them? Doesn't seem to be much reason to it. And what the heck was with the red vines?

And the ending. Oh that ending. They die. The aliens just die. Because of bacteria. In their SPACESHIPS, which presumably traveled through the vacuum of space. I can't imagine how that is supposed to make sense. Even if it made a lick of sense, it's a massive anticlimax that ruins what little there was to like about the film.
archangelm127 said:
"UHF." Written by, produced by, and starring Weird Al Yankovic. It's actually a wonderfully funny movie with tons of heart. Nobody knows about it because it released on the same weekend as "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade."
I'm a big fan of Weird Al. I've been meaning to watch that movie, just never seem to get around to watching many movies.

It was a very hard book to adapt. I just think at least before that plot the movie nailed scaring the shit out of me of an Alien Invasion.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Chanticoblues said:
Chanticoblues said:

That wasn't my point. I watch far more non-English films than I do films in English. My point is whether a film is overlooked isn't easy to judge if you don't account for its popularity in the country of origin. An example: Marketa Lazarova isn't, relatively speaking, a widely known film, but it's considered the greatest Czech film of all time by Czech critics and historians.

So I could name a bunch of films that I think are overlooked from other countries, but I can't really say for certain if that's the case in their countries of origin.
I'm confused. First you said most people here are Anglophones and American (which is true) and then you bring up whether a foreign film is popular in its country of origin.

Why? One would think that on a primarily Anglophone, American forum a film would be classified as overlooked if Anglophones and Americans are overlooking it - not whether it's overlooked wherever it was made.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
This may not count, but I watched a movie called Bone Tomahawk that was a pretty good western ... until it wasn't. Kurt Russell was in it. It was pretty well made, but I don't really remember anyone ever talking about it at all.

Minor spoiler below:

It's probably worth mentioning that it has one of the most gruesome death scenes I may have ever seen in a movie.

I don't know how to do the spoiler thing where you hide the text. Don't bother telling me because by the time I need to do it again, I will have forgotten.

Chanticoblues

Apr 6, 2016
I'm confused. First you said most people here are Anglophones and American (which is true) and then you bring up whether a foreign film is popular in its country of origin.

Why? One would think that on a primarily Anglophone, American forum a film would be classified as overlooked if Anglophones and Americans are overlooking it - not whether it's overlooked wherever it was made.
Sure. You could probably name just about any non-English language film and it could be considered overlooked by American movie-goers. It just seems redundant to me to do so, because if you're even watching a film from a different country, it's likely that it's pretty well-known over there or on a global scale.

It just comes down to relativism. Probably should have just spoken for myself.

BronzeHeart92

Jun 7, 2017
Hmm, difficult question... I suppose Scott Pilgrim is one that comes to mind. I mean, have you SEEN what it's like?

greenpete

Aug 2, 2017
BronzeHeart92 said:
Hmm, difficult question... I suppose Scott Pilgrim is one that comes to mind. I mean, have you SEEN what it's like?
yep, I like it a lot. and all my friends. I wouldn't think of it as overlooked. I often see people use jokes and pics from it.
My suggestion is I don't Feel at Home in this World Anymore. It was the best movie I've seen this year so far. But every time I tell someone about it no one ever heard of it. Though it stars Elijah Wood