Overpopulation. Resources running out. What do we do about these things?

starslasher

May 21, 2011
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Outlaw organized religion?

Who knows, it just might help - it certainly hasn't been tried, yet.
What about the Cultural Revolution in China? They certainly did try out outlaw religion. Hell, then went even further than that.

I wonder if any of you are familiar with Raj Patel's book called The Value of Nothing. He has a section on the book that deals exactly with the solution to deal with overpopulation. It might seem a bit leftist for some of you, considering that he's critical of the free markets and places a big deal on this topic on ecology, but I found it an interesting read. He also thought that Thomas Malthus was a racist, so make of that what you will.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Darwin laws. If you are continually injured doing incredibly stupid shit(Jackass but not getting paid stupid shit) then hospitals and doctors will refuse to treat you. If you're strong or smart enough to treat yourself and survive, congrats, you get 3 more stupid injury hospital visits. If not, well, darwin award for you, dumbass. It's kinda like eugenics but you prove your stupidity.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Outlaw organized religion?

Who knows, it just might help - it certainly hasn't been tried, yet.
(At least in America) First amendment be damned, right?

OT: Just take a look at what anyone else said about the world not being too overpopulated as we construe it. Science has been wrong before.

Tucker154

Jul 20, 2009
Until we have the ability for space exploration and colonization that can support themselves, Global population control.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
The answer is clear, a few of us are going to have to get murdered to preserve resources for the others...
*puts finger on nose*
Not It.

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
There are a few possible solutions.

Innovation: a long shot, I admit, but if some of us have lofty goals such as terraforming Mars, we could certainly develop new methods of producing goods and foodstuff in more efficient ways. Personally, I believe that there is no limit to human ingenuity.

Space: self explanatory, really.

Wait for the War to End all Wars: The most cynical, and sadly the most realistic. There wont be Seven Seals, or a Great Beast, but with population rising and resources dwindling, people will prioritize their own interests and take whatever land, water, and resources their country needs to survive. On the bright side, this will be a War for something dire, and not a spectacularly bad case of anti-Semitism. *inb4godwinslaw*

Good old Mother Nature: Eventually, nature takes care of overpopulation. In our modern world, illness can spread world wide in a matter of weeks. As with Europe's Black Plague, a huge chunk of the world population will die. The ones that are left will be able to pick up where we started. Our technology is unlikely to die as a result, so in the grand scale of things it will be like nothing ever happened (except the whole "1/3 of the population gone, bit)

EDIT:

Point is, one of the four will happen. Overpopulation is a problem that literally solves itself, sometimes brutally so. Contribute to innovation or space travel if you like/can. The rest of you can cross your fingers and enjoy the ride.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Either we as a society evolve and adapt, advance technology for space travel, limit our birth rate across the board, kill a mass population (criminals, legal euthanasia, and third world diseased populations...), and a mix of the above.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
We have a small handful of realistic options.

1) Government mandated death.

2) Legislation of reproduction.

3) Let the resources run out and see what happens.

4) World War III.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
Space Travel. Sure it's hard work, so hard it'd probably make building the pyramids by hand look like a playdate with legos, but it's the option with the fewest moral question marks and the only one that allows continued growth.

LockeDown

Sep 27, 2009
As dark, vile, and inhumane as it sounds, I've always been of the mind that it's better for us to act on this rather than wait for nature to take its course. Cull the least productive members of society, and manually reduce the population, because mother nature doesn't discriminate between success and failure.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Thin the population. Kill old people. And the handicapped. And start some wars, maybe a genocide or two.
Wait... wouldn't that possibly destroy the human race/do more damage?
WAIT... ISN'T THAT A HUGE DICK MOVE?
Yes. Yes it is. But that's how its done. I honestly hope it never happens.

Oh, and aren't some countries populations SHRINKING? How does that work? Aren't we all reproducing like rabbits?

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
LockeDown said:
As dark, vile, and inhumane as it sounds, I've always been of the mind that it's better for us to act on this rather than wait for nature to take its course. Cull the least productive members of society, and manually reduce the population, because mother nature doesn't discriminate between success and failure.
First, mother nature does discriminate between success and failure. Should the worst happen, the least productive members of society will be the first to die out to disease and hunger. Only the wealthy, powerful, and ambitious have the certainty for survival.

Second, we as humans are expressions of nature and evolution, just like any other animal on this planet. We will fight our own kind for the survival of our country, state, city, tribe, or whatever you'd like to call it, just as the prides of lions on the African plains fight for territory. We. Are. Nature.

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
I would say take the safety labels off of everything and let people thin themselves out the old fashioned way.

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
lucky_sharm said:
Ehh, I'm not so hyped up about mass genocide. Although it would help the overpopulation problem, I have a feeling that you and I are going to be apart of that huge percentage of humanity erased.
damn, just another statistic :(