Overpopulation. Resources running out. What do we do about these things?

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
On the subject of sustainable resources, 98.5 per cent of Norway's electricity is generated using wind or water.

That's because Norway uses its wealth from exporting its natural resources to fund development of its transport infrastructure, hospitals and health care -- and its vast clean energy facilities.

Worryingly, at a recent energy conference hosted by German carmaker Audi, it held up Norway and China as the best and worst examples for CO2 emissions from coal fired power stations. According to Audi's data, just 1.5 per cent of Norway's energy comes from coal fired power staions, compared to 77 per cent for China.

thelaughingman

Feb 4, 2009
I'm very glad this topic came up as I've been thinking about this for quite a while now. The answer is quite simple. Anyone who attends or watches professional wrestling gets singled out for what I like to call "Expedited Natural Selection". I'm considering adding Larry The Cable Guy fans and televangelists to that list as well. Anyone got other suggestions?

HiC

Mar 31, 2011
this is going to make me sound like a prick but what if we had a test at the end of year 12 to determine how an individual will contribute to society,if the person turns out to be a dick (like most people i know) then they die, if they don't then they live, also kill anyone who has a life sentence, they aren't going to do anything with their lives if they're stuck in a prison cell...

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
I got an idea. Everyone who things the world is overcrowded and people should be killed for this reason should die. Then we will be good not for crowding sake but because I wont have to hear their stupid ideas.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
WAR!!!

nothing to complicated just countries saying " Your going down you dirty sonnafa *****!"

U.S. and Russia gangs up on china while Germany and Britain take out the french and Pakistan and India just kill each other and Israel makes a wal mart parking lot out of most of the middle east.

that'll make one hell of a documentary/ video game.
Or we colonize Mars.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
thelaughingman said:
I'm very glad this topic came up as I've been thinking about this for quite a while now. The answer is quite simple. Anyone who attends or watches professional wrestling gets singled out for what I like to call "Expedited Natural Selection". I'm considering adding Larry The Cable Guy fans and televangelists to that list as well. Anyone got other suggestions?
How bout the people in populated area leave the people in less populated ares alone, get er done.

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
Murder coupons.

Everyone gets to commit one free murder. So long as some people die before they can cash that in we won't have to deal with extinction.

Plus, people will be a lot nicer to each other.
"I wonder if that guys cashed in his murder yet? Better not be a douche and take that chance."

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bEwGGbWuWw&feature=player_detailpage#t=200s

Prosis

May 5, 2011
Encourage adoption. Government can put a bit more money into orphanages, so they can advertise a bit better. Sure, its not a long term solution, but I feel that if adoption were encouraged more, there'd be a bit lower birth rate (not by much, but still noticeable), and maybe a few less people on the streets.

How to deal with it on a large scale... Unfortunately, medicine is here to stay, which has increased human lifespan greatly. Medicine has also greatly decreased the death of children, meaning that they all grow up and consume resources.

I think really, the only way we can deal with this besides war, self imposed genocides, or restriction of human rights is technology. If we run out of a resource, we'll have to use something else to replace it, and hopefully, technology will be able to do that

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Outlaw organized religion?

Who knows, it just might help - it certainly hasn't been tried, yet.
Wait, What?

How is that going to help, at all?

Religion has nothing to do with overpopulation....

Hazzaslagga

Sep 18, 2009
Anything we do to limit population growth will probably be fairly heartless. Maybe limit couples to 2 children (effectively just replacing themselves), triplets would be an exception.

Reallink

Feb 17, 2011
Maximize efficiency, i.e Multi-story farming etc.
Colonize deserts and other 'dead' terrain
Expand off the planet.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
lucky_sharm said:
Today, mortality rates have gone down, medicine is becoming more advanced and effective than it used to be, and less people are dying overall. But now we have the issue of housing and sustaining more and more people everyday, and our Earth might not last forever. Do we have any solutions to these very troubling problems?
The many people that are the baby boomers are about to die.
Anywho it's simple we limit child per couple to one int heir lifetime for 10 years.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
we've gotta get rid of all the poor people.

Theres way too many poor people who want money to allow us rich folks to continue in our lifestyles guilt-free.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
To make it worse, researchers are developing clone technology and anti aging drugs.

We need to build an enormous metropolis space station where people can live.

Kinda like these:

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
bjj hero said:
This came up at the turn of the 20th century. People were worried about mass starvation due to population increase. As it is we had the green revolution where advancements in agriculture meant we could produce far more food with similar amounts of space.

For those wanting to apply a 1 child rule, see what happens when you are old and you want to retire but there are too few workers to support you.

Human advancement and ingenuity will stop us ending up living like Mad Max.
There are already not enough workers...

ahappycamper

Jul 13, 2009
This isn't an issue, when resources are scarce the population (this applies to all species) will struggle (war) over the resources in their habitat (in this case earth), as the organisms kill each other and some starve organisms lower on the food chain will increase in population. If this ever occurs in my lifetime, (it won't) the best thing to do as an individual is to abandon the state, escape control and food rationing, if you can't survive in the wild then youv'e failed the only test an organism was ever meant to face: survive.