Overranking

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Solkard said:
The Wooster said:
Overranking

Step four: Never improve under any circumstances.

Read Full Article
There are two step twos and no step three.
Thus we capture the true essence of people who think like that :p

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Caramel Frappe said:
This reminds me of what some people say about League of Legends ranking system.

"If you're not Platinum or above, you aren't worth crap to the community."

Yet, only 8% out of 15,000,000 people in the League community made it into Plat. I'm currently at Gold II with 61 LP ... meaning i'm the top 23.35% of the people in League's ranking system. To those who think people below the 8% aren't worth listening to or treating with respect- you've lost my respect already. There could be people in Bronze rank that are bigger fans of the game than you, or have contributed art or gone out of their way to help people improve themselves.

I knew a guy in Silver that played like a Platinum, yet he hated rank because of the dumb 'bragging rights' mentality so he sticks with Normal mode over Ranked. Literally, it's just a game ... I like climbing up in Rank but I also know it doesn't make me a better person than anyone below, hell I bet there's people in lower tier that can play my role (Support) better, just they've been getting bad teammates whom make their games harder than necessary. So treat everyone with dignity when you're in Ranked, mkay?
I play World of Tanks. The mod that displays everyone's arbitrary goodness number makes the PC version about as pleasant as being surrounded by meth-addicted howler monkeys. It's to the point where the console version not having mods is a selling point.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
American Fox said:
Step three is reuse a joke from countless webcomics that Penny Arcade perfected.
Step 4 is to understand that jokes don't lose all worth because they've been used before.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
That post-game score sheet is a really good idea. It's be nice if it was incorporated into some kind of match history system similar to what League of Legends has, because after a big ol' session of trash where I lose almost 100 ranking points I'd like to see where it all went wrong.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:

Yet, only 8% out of 15,000,000 people in the League community made it into Plat. I'm currently at Gold II with 61 LP ... meaning i'm the top 23.35% of the people in League's ranking system. To those who think people below the 8% aren't worth listening to or treating with respect- you've lost my respect already. There could be people in Bronze rank that are bigger fans of the game than you, or have contributed art or gone out of their way to help people improve themselves.

I knew a guy in Silver that played like a Platinum, yet he hated rank because of the dumb 'bragging rights' mentality so he sticks with Normal mode over Ranked. Literally, it's just a game ... I like climbing up in Rank but I also know it doesn't make me a better person than anyone below, hell I bet there's people in lower tier that can play my role (Support) better, just they've been getting bad teammates whom make their games harder than necessary. So treat everyone with dignity when you're in Ranked, mkay?
This is pretty much why I avoid Ranked play. First, I don't wanna deal with the assholes (or be that asshole). Second, I play games to have fun. Third, I know any team based game means you are only as good as your team, and sometimes a team of weaker players can beat a really good team if they are working together better.

What you say about lower tier people who play like they are Platinum could also be said of you. You might "only" be gold because you can't get teams good enough to get you over that hump.

I've been the best player on a team, but not been able to pull out a win because I couldn't get good support from the rest of the team. I've also dominated games because I had just a few people that worked with me (even in games with 60+ players).

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I just wish they'd bring back "Ignore this player". I had a Lucio running around the home base the whole match, another match had Pharah flying around in the base nonstop and another match had Mercy shooting people and did not heal once.

Also, fuck any asshole that leaves in the middle of the match. My rank shouldn't go down because the match became unfair. Speaking of unfair, why are all my opponents 3 star and there's not even one one star level player on my team? Please fix matchmaking Blizzard.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
American Fox said:
Step three is reuse a joke from countless webcomics that Penny Arcade perfected.
Yeah, Blizzard does this all the time, and I'm fucking sick of it.

Naturally Sound

Jul 30, 2014
Mei choke-holding Genji is...appropriate but I think any Genji that loves to abuse double jump fears Winston the most. Mei doesn't bother me that much though.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Caramel Frappe said:

Just because someone doesn't have the skill to make it into Diamond and Master doesn't mean that they aren't worth listening to. There's a difference between skill and intelligence, and while a smart player might not be able to keep up with the twitch reflexes of a CS:GO or TF2 veteran, they can still have insight on game balance that is worth listening to.

Not to mention that ranks in OW are skewed. Bronze and Silver leagues are too small, which makes ranks like Gold and Platinum the baseline instead of being head-and-shoulders above most of the competition.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
RaikuFA said:
I just wish they'd bring back "Ignore this player". I had a Lucio running around the home base the whole match, another match had Pharah flying around in the base nonstop and another match had Mercy shooting people and did not heal once.

Also, fuck any asshole that leaves in the middle of the match. My rank shouldn't go down because the match became unfair.
Yes to all of this. I've been up against players who, no matter what I did, never seemed to fucking die and were up my ass the entire time. And people leaving is the main reason I lost so many of my placement matches. There is fuck all you can do to turn the tide of a battle when you're one or two players short against a full team with absolutely zero chance of receiving a replacement. At one point I even said to the remainder of my team "Fuck this. I'm staying in the spawn," because at that point there was no way we were going to win and I wasn't going to give the enemy team the extra EXP from killing me a hundred times.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I just wish the scoring was less of a black box.

Why did I only lose a few points last match but a metric fuck tonne the match before? Only Blizzard knows.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I'd say that's a good summation of the average OW player's attitude. Though Step Four is more a way of life than a factor in helping to understand the competitive system. :p

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Fijiman said:
RaikuFA said:

Also, fuck any asshole that leaves in the middle of the match. My rank shouldn't go down because the match became unfair.
Yes to all of this. I've been up against players who, no matter what I did, never seemed to fucking die and were up my ass the entire time. And people leaving is the main reason I lost so many of my placement matches. There is fuck all you can do to turn the tide of a battle when you're one or two players short against a full team with absolutely zero chance of receiving a replacement. At one point I even said to the remainder of my team "Fuck this. I'm staying in the spawn," because at that point there was no way we were going to win and I wasn't going to give the enemy team the extra EXP from killing me a hundred times.
And yet we'll be branded as "tryhards" and called "entitled".

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
RaikuFA said:
Fijiman said:
RaikuFA said:

And yet we'll be branded as "tryhards" and called "entitled".
Sad, but true.