Overranking

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Fijiman said:
There is fuck all you can do to turn the tide of a battle when you're one or two players short against a full team with absolutely zero chance of receiving a replacement. At one point I even said to the remainder of my team "Fuck this. I'm staying in the spawn," because at that point there was no way we were going to win and I wasn't going to give the enemy team the extra EXP from killing me a hundred times.
I don't want to be rude but if you did this in a ranked game i was in i'd be super pissed at you. At least 75% as pissed as towards the leaver. At this point i don't ask for much from my team mates but i do expect them to at least try their best and not give up when things ain't going to plan or a curveball is thrown at us.

It IS possible to win a game with a leaver, i've done it before. Heck it's even easier to do it in OW (and yes in ranked to boot) then it is in a moba when there's a time limit that can sometimes work in your favor, whereas in mobas your chances deteriorate the longer the match goes on so you have to aim for a quick win when you're a man down.

Losing a player in ranked hurts your chances of winning massively, no argument there. But if you decide to give up too then you turn a likely defeat into a guaranteed one, the 5-10% chance of winning becomes 0.000001% (the remaining players would have to be super amazing to compensate for both leaver and afker as opposed to just amazing if there's just the leaver).

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Frankster said:
Fijiman said:
There is fuck all you can do to turn the tide of a battle when you're one or two players short against a full team with absolutely zero chance of receiving a replacement. At one point I even said to the remainder of my team "Fuck this. I'm staying in the spawn," because at that point there was no way we were going to win and I wasn't going to give the enemy team the extra EXP from killing me a hundred times.
I don't want to be rude but if you did this in a ranked game i was in i'd be super pissed at you. At least 75% as pissed as towards the leaver. At this point i don't ask for much from my team mates but i do expect them to at least try their best and not give up when things ain't going to plan or a curveball is thrown at us.

It IS possible to win a game with a leaver, i've done it before. Heck it's even easier to do it in OW (and yes in ranked to boot) then it is in a moba when there's a time limit that can sometimes work in your favor, whereas in mobas your chances deteriorate the longer the match goes on so you have to aim for a quick win when you're a man down.

Losing a player in ranked hurts your chances of winning massively, no argument there. But if you decide to give up too then you turn a likely defeat into a guaranteed one, the 5-10% chance of winning becomes 0.000001% (the remaining players would have to be super amazing to compensate for both leaver and afker as opposed to just amazing if there's just the leaver).
I understand and would normally agree with you, but at the point where I said fuck it I had lost like eight matches in a row that day(at least two of which our team had just been completely stomped on even with six players and another two were rank matches in which two players had left the the team after just the first round) and the enemy team had won two out of the three rounds that particular match so there wasn't anything we could have done to pull a win and I was just strait up done with the whole thing. Now I did try and do some stuff during that last part of the match, like attacking any enemies that came near our spawn, but even I'll admit it was an extremely minimum effort on my part.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Fijiman said:
I understand.
Fair enough, we all have our bad days and low moments ;)

And yeh them capture point matches are the worst stamina wise. I suppose technically they shouldn't be any longer then any other mode but 3-6 short matches counting as 1 game sometimes make it feel like it drags on forever. Normally a good thing of OW games is matches are short so bad ones are over fairly fast but capture point games can buck that trend.

Also i suppose in all fairness, once i cleared my placement games i have yet to be in any games with leavers this season, guess ive just been super lucky thus far or maybe just hit a threshold where its less common (platinum rank).

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Darth_Payn said:
Wait, what was with that "autistic" remark?
Commonly used as an insult now for people deemed socially retarded or otherwise fixate on things. I have to give props for having the brass to say it in that context.

seule

Jul 21, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
This. As a parent of autistic kids... quite offensive, and generally warrants an ignore from me in game too.

step1999

Mar 11, 2010
seule said:
Darth_Payn said:
This. As a parent of autistic kids... quite offensive, and generally warrants an ignore from me in game too.
I'm pretty sure they were making fun of the people who use that insult judging by the comic's tone (note: I'm diagnosed autistic myself)