Overrated Classic Games

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
hello

So my friends we all talk about overrated games of todays. but rarely about old overrated games. here in this thread we talk about games atleast 15 year olds. that are overrated.

so what are most overrated classic games you have played? there were lot of early 3d games on console that were very overrated and not hold up for todays standard unlike old PC games still hold up imo but here we talk about games that were overrated back than too. and people like because of nostalgia.

here mine.

Goldeneye: My number 1 overrated classic game. that game released in 1997, at the time amazing FPS like Quake 2 and year later Half life were also released and this game suck compare to them and only got praised because it was first ever console exclusive FPS game.

Call of Duty 1: I like this game but it was average at best. 7/10. many PC gamers overrated it because it was PC exclusive COD but game in general was scripted and linear as any other COD game in series. it was also copy paste of MOH allied assult with ironsight and without the charm of allied assault.

GTA3: sure it was first GTA game that gone 3d but game in general was not very good. not in a terms of driving, shooting etc. it was kinda boring. Mafia 1 also released at those time and it was better in every single way.

NOLF: This game was basically goldeneye/perfect dark for PC. it was just too comicy and cartoonish. the shooting, AI, stealth was not even done good for that time it released too. many FPS games were far better. game was incredibly overrated but luckily monolith hit the nail with FEAR. become one of the greatest game of all time.

Halo CE: I played it on PC that released after xbox version. the game release during golden era of FPS genre and this game was very mediocre to average. level design were copy and paste corridors, shooting was not fun and overall game was subpar compare to PC FPS of that time.

Resident Evil 4: It was boring medicore third person action game where you cant shoot while walking, save president daughter everytime. the game was no fun to play in every way. controls are like tank controls. and yes i also played the HD remaster on PC and still didnot fix the issue. overrated game.

there are lots i can think of but these come to my mind.

so what old games you think were overrated and they are praised because nostalgia?

discuss

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Gee, I've never seen a thread like this before...

Fine, I'll play:

-Another World (I can't really call this overrated per se, but maybe "loved a bit too much." Because for all the game's pros, it doesn't change that a lot of the game is based on trial and error, and the worldbuilding is too vague for its own good. I can give it props for environmental storytelling, but I'd like it to have met me halfway)

-Command & Conquer: Red Alert (I actually like this, but it stunned me to see it voted among the top 300 games of all time, whereas no other CnC games made it. And...huh? I'd rank RA2/3 as being well above it.)

-Diablo II (I can't really call this overrated, I just...okay, I'll put it this way. "Diablo II is a good game...and I never want to have to play it again.")

-Doom 2 (is this a classic? I dunno, but it's easily my least favorite Doom game.)

-The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/Majora's Mask (I've already spoken at length as to why I consider these overrated, so I'll move on)

-Super Metroid (I really like this game, don't get me wrong, I just think Fusion and Zero Mission are better)

-Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (this game is...okay, I guess? I mean, I like it, I just don't get why it's so beloved)

-Resident Evil 2 (same as Super Metroid - I really like this game, but I find it surprising that it's loved so much, especially since RE3 came next and, IMO, surpassed it)

So, yeah. And please, please, PLEASE can we stop the "overrated" threads. At this point it's just an excuse to be edgy.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I can't believe I replying to a B-Cell thread...

Ok, I am not a COD fan, but 7 out of 10 is not average, its good, not great. 5 out of 10 is average. Also, the first COD was not a PC exclusive, I played it on the Gamecube and it certainly is not a rip off of Allied Assault. No Normandy beach storming going on and as far as I remember, AA didn't have you playing as the Russians. Like I say, I'm not a COD fan, but get your facts right before slagging off a game.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Since my catfood (what? Cats need to eat) has butted in, I'll add Allied Assault to the "overrated" category. Again, I do like this game, but I do consider it average, and inferior to Pacific Assault and Frontline.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Resident Evil 4 and Call of Duty aren't 15 years old.

Also, I think if you take out the spam threads, there;s literally "outdated game design" on the first page, one of many threads discussing older games that don't hold up to modern standards in pretty specific ways.

But if we must go down this old rabbithole

System Shock 2 - The original had some ambition, and certainly stood out in 1994. But by 1999 this was just a pile of jank. Its no longer an ambitious concept as much as a failure in execution. And this was post-Half Life/Unreal/Thief/Jedi Knight/etc. WE'd seen alternate mechanics put into FPS successfully by this point while this struggled. And its pure shooter side would have trouble competing with the gen right before that (Duke 3D, Hexen, Quake, et al).

Ocarina of Time - Unlike SS2, I wouldn't actualy say Ocarina was bad. But it was a straightforward by the numbers adaptation of the Zelda formula onto the 64 and into 3d. Its an artefact of its time that has very little enduring influence to gaming outside of some basic lore points of the Zelda universe. Its even been redone within its own series in a more experimental fashion with Majoras Mask, and a more olished and less limited form in Twilight Princess.

Final Fantasy 7 - Essentially Ocarina of Time for all the non-Nintendo folks. It did fare a bit better with the jump to pseudo-3d (although there'd still be the janky 2d/3d mixed look until Final Fantasy X). But enough about graphical technicalities. This would be the first FF to dump the series Job(Class) system, instead opting for free-styled characters. Granted, 5's characters were class-interchangeable (but couldn't trade their levels in a class), and magic-wise so were 6's. But 7 would really break out the complete irrelevance of character selection or commitment to strategy with its swappable materia system. Most of the cast are one note tropes more then characters. We get the "fake memories" protagonist as a lazy excuse for asspulls to drive the plot forward. And you could write an essay discussing how the post-Disk 1 plot makes no sense motivation wise and lacks proper logic and structure. The iconic moment of the game, where Aeris is killed by Sephiroth (but not really, in one of those weird unexplained cases, maybe they rewrote things after making the cutscene but had to keep it in, not uncommon with cutscenes in those days due to expense in rendering). is meant to establish a credible villain. Besides being kind of laughable compared to the efforts of villains in the prior 3 entries, its underwhelmed becauee Aeris had to pick up the idiot ball and run off alone to be in that position to start with like a generic slasher film victim.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
B-Cell said:
hello

So my friends we all talk about overrated games of todays. but rarely about old overrated games. here in this thread we talk about games atleast 15 year olds. that are overrated.

so what are most overrated classic games you have played? there were lot of early 3d games on console that were very overrated and not hold up for todays standard unlike old PC games still hold up imo but here we talk about games that were overrated back than too. and people like because of nostalgia.

here mine.

Goldeneye: My number 1 overrated classic game. that game released in 1997, at the time amazing FPS like Quake 2 and year later Half life were also released and this game suck compare to them and only got praised because it was first ever console exclusive FPS game.

Call of Duty 1: I like this game but it was average at best. 7/10. many PC gamers overrated it because it was PC exclusive COD but game in general was scripted and linear as any other COD game in series. it was also copy paste of MOH allied assult with ironsight and without the charm of allied assault.

GTA3: sure it was first GTA game that gone 3d but game in general was not very good. not in a terms of driving, shooting etc. it was kinda boring. Mafia 1 also released at those time and it was better in every single way.

NOLF: This game was basically goldeneye/perfect dark for PC. it was just too comicy and cartoonish. the shooting, AI, stealth was not even done good for that time it released too. many FPS games were far better. game was incredibly overrated but luckily monolith hit the nail with FEAR. become one of the greatest game of all time.

Halo CE: I played it on PC that released after xbox version. the game release during golden era of FPS genre and this game was very mediocre to average. level design were copy and paste corridors, shooting was not fun and overall game was subpar compare to PC FPS of that time.

Resident Evil 4: It was boring medicore third person action game where you cant shoot while walking, save president daughter everytime. the game was no fun to play in every way. controls are like tank controls. and yes i also played the HD remaster on PC and still didnot fix the issue. overrated game.

there are lots i can think of but these come to my mind.

so what old games you think were overrated and they are praised because nostalgia?

discuss
Eh, remind me to come back and debate this when I've got more time. For now I'll just say that Quake 2 is a babies' toy compared to Goldeneye. And this from someone who sunk countless hours into both.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Cod4,

overtale,

Underwatch,

MegaMan,

Sonic,

Feet sighter,

bash crandicoot,

every final fantasy - yes even the final and first one and especially the most beloved darling of them all,

Every single game with a grizzled white macho dude sporting exciting short brown/black hair as the protagonist. Even the ones I like, I'll happily throw those fucks under the bus any day to prove a trivial point,

[small]What's that cute lil game you like with all the cute lil baby animals and cute lil girls and cute lil stories that you find so innocent and adorable?[/small] Yeah, no I hate it...I hate it so bad!

I spy with my beady eye,

Rock-paper-scissors,

Monopoly,

trivial pursuit,

every televised gameshow apart from the comedy panel ones where nobody wins any prizes anyway,

all football ever apart from maybe the one with magic and explosions,

Nascar,

the Olympics,

Food - well if it isn't a game, why do people still play with it?? oh, and don't eat with your mouth open, you filthy savages, but I digress,

love and war,

*Sighsies* life

[small]honourable mention goes to tiddlywinks; it thinks it can escape judgement by having a dumb cutesy name? well think again, piddlystinks![/small]

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Well, here we go then.

Squilookle said:
Eh, remind me to come back and debate this when I've got more time. For now I'll just say that Quake 2 is a babies' toy compared to Goldeneye. And this from someone who sunk countless hours into both.
Yeahhhh, I don't know about that. You COULD say that about Perfect Dark and Quake 2 perhaps, but not Goldeneye and Quake 2.

B-Cell said:
Are you on crack? Halo: CE innovated in a TON of areas. For one, it did regenerating health RIGHT. It also blessedly mapped grenades to a dedicated key/controller button instead of having to clunkily switch your current weapon to a grenade weapon and THEN toss it and blehhhhh. It also did AI very well and had an utterly amazing setting. Great story. And then there was the cool vehicles which became 10x better if you were playing co-op. The graphics were pretty solid and the multiplayer had a ton of great options. Plus, the MP maps were iconic. Now, as time went on, the sequels would innovate and improve on MP in pretty much every way, but CE still holds up to this day. And it certainly held up INSANELY well when it first came out. There's a very good reason why this game saved the Xbox's ass.

Seth Carter said:
Ocarina of Time - Unlike SS2, I wouldn't actualy say Ocarina was bad. But it was a straightforward by the numbers adaptation of the Zelda formula onto the 64 and into 3d. Its an artefact of its time that has very little enduring influence to gaming outside of some basic lore points of the Zelda universe. Its even been redone within its own series in a more experimental fashion with Majoras Mask, and a more olished and less limited form in Twilight Princess.
Are you on crack? TP was more restrictive than OoT in a fair few ways. In fact, the only two things I like TP for was its base sword combat and its overall theme/tone. And some of the story. As to Majora's Mask, MM wouldn't even exist were it not for OoT as I've already said before. I will admit that OoT probably hasn't aged super amazingly versus something like Doom 95, but when you play it for the first time, it's still a great experience. And it was an even more amazing experience if you played it back in its heyday.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I admit that I've never understood the popularity of Goldeneye one the Nintendo 64. It controlled terribly, looked awful even for the time, and that damn auto-centering crosshair was the bane of my life.

Worst of all for me was that I couldn't even return the game, or trade it in, at my local store because I'd bought the Goldeneye N64 console bundle and so the game didn't come in its own box.

Even the much lauded multiplayer was only any good because it let you share the misery of playing the game with other people.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Arnoxthe1 said:
Are you on crack? Halo: CE innovated in a TON of areas. For one, it did regenerating health RIGHT. It also blessedly mapped grenades to a dedicated key/controller button instead of having to clunkily switch your current weapon to a grenade weapon and THEN toss it and blehhhhh. It also did AI very well and had an utterly amazing setting. Great story. And then there was the cool vehicles which became 10x better if you were playing co-op. The graphics were pretty solid and the multiplayer had a ton of great options. Plus, the MP maps were iconic. Now, as time went on, the sequels would innovate and improve on MP in pretty much every way, but CE still holds up to this day. And it certainly held up INSANELY well when it first came out. There's a very good reason why this game saved the Xbox's ass.
it took FPS backward. by introducing health regen and 2 weapon limit.

plus the gameplay was not good. and some of the level design are copy and paste of each other. remember library mission? one of the worst of all time.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Gee, I've never seen a thread like this before...

Fine, I'll play:

-Another World (I can't really call this overrated per se, but maybe "loved a bit too much." Because for all the game's pros, it doesn't change that a lot of the game is based on trial and error, and the worldbuilding is too vague for its own good. I can give it props for environmental storytelling, but I'd like it to have met me halfway)

-Command & Conquer: Red Alert (I actually like this, but it stunned me to see it voted among the top 300 games of all time, whereas no other CnC games made it. And...huh? I'd rank RA2/3 as being well above it.)

-Diablo II (I can't really call this overrated, I just...okay, I'll put it this way. "Diablo II is a good game...and I never want to have to play it again.")

-Doom 2 (is this a classic? I dunno, but it's easily my least favorite Doom game.)

-The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/Majora's Mask (I've already spoken at length as to why I consider these overrated, so I'll move on)

-Super Metroid (I really like this game, don't get me wrong, I just think Fusion and Zero Mission are better)

-Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (this game is...okay, I guess? I mean, I like it, I just don't get why it's so beloved)

-Resident Evil 2 (same as Super Metroid - I really like this game, but I find it surprising that it's loved so much, especially since RE3 came next and, IMO, surpassed it)

So, yeah. And please, please, PLEASE can we stop the "overrated" threads. At this point it's just an excuse to be edgy.
Diablo 2 had the best cinematics imo in terms of scary athmosphere and acting.

Doom 2 I can understand because all it did was added a new gun and one new monster. New Maps is just par for the course but in essence its the same game.

I didn't, tell me why you think those 2 games are overrated, perticularly A Link to the Past because that Zelda game I never seen people refer to it as overrated.

Oh I completely understand your stance on Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. I never played when it came out and only tried it years later and it got dated.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
B-Cell said:

plus the gameplay was not good. and some of the level design are copy and paste of each other. remember library mission? one of the worst of all time.
Health regen is just another way to do health. It's neither inferior nor superior to the old lifebar way. Two weapon limit, same thing. It's there to get you to use more weapons instead of just one or two all the time and makes you think ahead on how you wanna tackle the next skirmish. I think there's other reasons for it being there as well but I'll leave it at that.

Library is definitely not one of the worst levels of all time. I could think of a ton more that are worthy of that title. Honestly though, the stuff you're talking about just sounds purely like your opinion and not anything objective. And hey, it's OK to not like Halo's combat, but you need to learn to separate the difference between opinion and fact. Halo's combat, compared to something like Doom or Quake is a lot more slower paced and tactical. If you don't like that, OK. But that doesn't make it bad or even overrated.

Yoshi178 said:
all of the DOOM games
all of the Mario games

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Arnoxthe1 said:
Seth Carter said:
Are you on crack? TP was more restrictive than OoT in a fair few ways. In fact, the only two things I like TP for was its base sword combat and its overall theme/tone. And some of the story. As to Majora's Mask, MM wouldn't even exist were it not for OoT as I've already said before. I will admit that OoT probably hasn't aged super amazingly versus something like Doom 95, but when you play it for the first time, it's still a great experience. And it was an even more amazing experience if you played it back in its heyday.
I played it in its heyday. I didn't say it was bad either. I just dismissed at as "LOL best game ever made" nonsense thats its frequently cited as.

It has some contributions to the Zelda mythos certainly. (Friendly, they were enemies before) Zora, alongside Gorons and Gerudo saw their introduction in Ocarina. I don't know that I'd list as an explicit positive, but the series has continued to have weird time travel as a recurring theme.

Z-targeting (or similar) would become a general standard for third person melee games. While this probably would've evolved organically, OoT is the first game I recall using the idea (not that necessarily means much, we don't all consider that PS2 Aliens game as the birth of modern FPS controls noteworthy).

Structurally it apes Link to the Past, just using the dark future instead of the Dark World as the second half alternate map. There's glimmers of the idea of modern open world that seems like what they wanted to do (Epona for instance, who serves little practical purpose in the game as released other then jumping over one fence). Its more open for idle wandering then Twilight Princess is at first, but there's nothing to do in that idle wandering anyways.

Technical limitations. Yeah, there's outright bugs or weird programming. One fun one is that the opening cutscene for the Shadow Temple only triggers if you walk in Kakariko from the front entrance. You'll probably do that eventually, but since they gave you teleports and the closest one to Kakariko comes from the other side, its a little weird. We get size but less density of detail (interactive or otherwise) in the open spaces. Castle Town is a weird FF7-esque 2d background map with a 3d sprite at odds with the rest of the game. While the writing is a step up from LttP 7 years prior, there's bits here and there that seem like something got cut out to save on space.

Mechanically speaking, the combats fine for its time. The gadgets are mostly just recycled ideas from LttP. The new ones tend to be gimmicky and overused. The Ocarina ends up being a weird "do whatever we couldn't think of an actual thing to do" while spamming off Zelda's song and the Song of Time like they were copy-protection questions in a pre-CD key PC game. The Lens doesn't seem well tested by people who don't know exactly when to use it or not, and can easily end up with you needing to abandon a dungeon to go refill the magic for it as a result. The Iron Boots were so awfully implemented they ended up fixing them in later versions to be more usable, and they still had no use outside of their own dungeon. Also the weird contrivance where adult Link suddenly forgot how to use his items and had to find new ones that served an identical function.

Being weighted by technical limitations isn't unique to Ocarina of course. Wind Waker was horrifically anemic in its content despite being the first Zelda to finally get that true no-transitions open world because of them. The first game was arguably held back a lot from the actual vision for it. Nintendo recycling concepts is basically a meme, and one that I'd say is over-applied. But there's a little too much reuse between LttP and OoT at fundamental levels. Given the backlash on Zelda 2 (Hyrulean Castlevania), big N probably had reason to stick with a succesful playbook, but its a lot of recycling.

I actually prefer Ocarina to Majora's Mask (for one, I'm not a big fan of timed stuff in what is essentially a puzzle game), but can acknowledge that the latter had more creativity and inventiveness behind it. Even while sitting literally (more or less being a mod) in the same technical framework of Ocarina, it has a unique structure and thematic identity to it.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
DOOM 1 & 2. Forget about nostalgia and I'm sure anyone would see they're both really just mediocre FPSes that have been far surpassed by just about every shooter to come out since. If the latest DOOM is any indication the series has been worse off as a result of trying to emulate those games in order to feed off nostalgia. The only reason they were ever notable in the first place was due to a bunch of nutty and very stupid little controversies that popped up at the time of it's release. DOOM 3 added so much to the series that should have continued to be expanded upon in later entries but probably won't thanks to nostalgia.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Goldeneye 64.

It has aged very badly, although it's still quite fun the level design and often esoteric objectives just don't work very well anymore. Perfect Dark came out a couple of years later and is a whole new species by comparison, all the little quality of life improvements to sound and level design make it work that much better.

B-Cell said:
I've always found Halo: Combat Evolved to be an oustanding game, but it must be played on Heroic or Legendary otherwise the AI is too dumb. On the higher difficulties they will flank, use grenades more and lay traps, which they don't on easy and normal.

I agree that the environments are recycled a lot, but aside from two levels there isn't a great deal of actual copy-pasting going on. It came out the same year as Return to Castle Wolfenstein and AvP2, it's not as good as AvP2 (few shooters are) but it is better than Wolfenstein, it's certainly one of the best games of 2001.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Xsjadoblayde said:
I spy with my beady eye,
That's "little" eye you silly bear!

Xsjadoblayde said:
Monopoly,
Actually, this IS an overrated game IMO, so, go figure.

Arnoxthe1 said:
W

Pretty much this.

Okay, maybe not a "great" story (I'd say that H1's story is pretty weak when compared to others in the franchise), but it's certainly engrossing enough.

B-Cell said:
That's not taking it backwards. You may dislike those things, but it's not an objective regression.

B-Cell said:
remember library mission? one of the worst of all time.
One of the best IMO.

Yoshi178 said:
all of the DOOM games
Cut Doom 3 from that list, and I could entertain agreeing with you actually.

Samtemdo8 said:
Diablo 2 had the best cinematics imo in terms of scary athmosphere and acting.
It does. Doesn't mean I have to like the rest of the game though.

Samtemdo8 said:
Doom 2 I can understand because all it did was added a new gun and one new monster. New Maps is just par for the course but in essence its the same game.
That, and Doom 2 feels like a regression from Doom 1 in its storytelling aspect.

Which is probably an odd thing to say, but again, something I've already waxed lyrical on, so let's move on.

Samtemdo8 said:
I didn't, tell me why you think those 2 games are overrated, perticularly A Link to the Past because that Zelda game I never seen people refer to it as overrated.
Okay...

A Link to the Past
First, A Link to the Past. I mean, it's fine, it's reasonably enjoyable, it's average, but best game of all time? Huh? Admittedly I didn't play it until it came out on GBA, but even then, I just don't get the love for this game.

From a gameplay standpoint it's reasonable - there's nothing really glaring about it, though the Dark World dungeons do feel a bit samey from an aesthetic standpoint (with the exception of the Thieves Town one). But from a story standpoint, LttP is lacklustre. Like, really lacklustre. Like, Link's uncle dies at the start, and is never mentioned again until the end of the game. Like, the game gives you a premise at the Sanctuary that sort of has a continuous plot, but as soon as you reach the Dark World, the plot effectively just stops. The Maidens give you info on Ganon, true, but none of the maidens have any kind of character to them. In fact, LttP doesn't really have any memorable characters, period. I mean, this is a game that's meant to be about "The Legend of Zelda," with Link going on a grand adventure to save Hyrule, but the game gives me no narrative-based reason to care about my goal. And when you have to spend dozens of hours to beat that game, it does a poor job in giving me incentive to beat it.

I can accept that LttP provided the template that the majority of 2D Zeldas have since followed, but so many of those subsequent installments improved on the game, most notably A Link Between Worlds, which improves on LttP in every single way. Far better gameplay (the 2D art system is gold), far better graphics, and above all, far better characters. Hilda, Gully, Ingrene, etc. What does LttP give me? Nothing.

So, I can appreciate LttP's historical significance, but, I'm sorry, I just don't get why it's so beloved outside its historical significance.

Majora's Mask

This is less drastic for me. I mean, I like Majora's Mask - I think it's a "good" game. However, it is my least favorite 3D LoZ game, and falls short of its contemporaries.

First, gameplay. I like the idea of the 3 day system, but in practice, it just gets tedious. Feels like it's padding out the game because there's so few dungeons. The masks are fun, true, but few of them have use beyond an extremely specific use, some of them being good for only one moment in the game. I prefer the more free-roaming Zelda games where I'm not on a timer. Again, not sure why I should consider MM to be better than OoT when OoT gives me far more in the world to do, at least in the number of dungeons.

Secondly, story, or rather, themes. People love to harp on Majora's Mask, claiming that it's thematically rich, that it deals with great themes, that the fact that you can't do everything in a single 72 hour cycle is symbolic of the cruel nature of the world, how you can't save everyone (I think people are reading far too deep into things there). And to that I say, well, yeah, Majora's Mask is quite thematically rich. You know what else is thematically rich? Pretty much every LoZ game I've played since Link's Awakening, and that includes OoT. Majora's Mask can get cred for its themes and characters, but it's hardly unique in possessing themes/characters. A discussion of themes in LoZ could go on for ages, but basically, I find that people give MM undue credit in its narrative complexity, especially when that narrative doesn't really have any connecting thread beyond "go get the giants to stop Skull Kid." OoT's story is paced in a far more structural manner, with plot developments paced along the way whereas in MM, there's no real big surprise after Link gets his human form back, and the end sequence of the game (bar a few moments such as running across where Tatl/Tael first met Skull Kid).

So, yeah. I like Majora's Mask, but I don't think of it as fondly as many other people do.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
B-Cell said:
level design were copy and paste corridors
I mean, sure, if you focus on the interior sections of Assault on the Control Room, Two Betrayals, The Library, and conveniently ignore the fact that the former two levels are set in a wide open canyon, with multiple routes of opportunity, and if you also ignore the levels Halo and the outstanding Silent Cartographer.

B-Cell said:
shooting was not fun and overall game was subpar compare to PC FPS of that time.
Halo CE holds up tremendously well, even today. CE was a game that was ahead of its time, and should be commended based on its innovations alone.

The selection of weapons, vehicles, and unique enemy types created a sandbox that Bungie used to ensure that each encounter was unique, varied, and interesting. You certainly cant say that about many games at all.
B-Cell said:
As I have said in response to your comments many times before, regenerating health and weapons limits are "different", not "bad".

Halo CE even uses a combination of regenerating shields, and actual health bars and health packs that you seem to hold to such a high standard.

With this approach, it allowed the maps to be bigger than most competing shooters, because you were always guaranteed to have at least one shield bar of health, so Bungie could balance encounters around that, and not have to worry about scattering health kits all over the place, or risk there being too few, or even stopping the player's progress, because they don't have enough health to start the next encounter - causing the player to backtrack in search of health.

As for the two weapon limit, Halo is the only game that I have seen in recent memory, to use the system effectively. The way the sandbox works, it forced players to make decisions to anticipate their next encounter. Picking up a weapon like the rocket launcher, meant that you often had to sacrifice something more versatile, for something that is more powerful. Having two versatile weapons like the assault rifle or the magnum, means that you often have to pass up on the more powerful, but shorter lived weapons. If anything, it just makes the game more challenging, when you have to weigh up the trade offs, instead of walking into every room with the exact weapon that you need.

Changes like these aren't bad, they just aren't what you are used to.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Laggyteabag said:
B-Cell said:
shooting was not fun and overall game was subpar compare to PC FPS of that time.
Halo CE holds up tremendously well, even today. CE was a game that was ahead of its time, and should be commended based on its innovations alone.

The selection of weapons, vehicles, and unique enemy types created a sandbox that Bungie used to ensure that each encounter was unique, varied, and interesting. You certainly cant say that about many games at all.
I hated the Halo:CE campaign. On the other hand, all the essential elements of it were reused in Halo 3, which is one of my favourite shooter campaigns of all time. Not all of the Halo games are good, but the ones that do work are truly excellent.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
?Classic? and ?at least 15 years old? don?t really coincide well, considering at that point we were about half way into the 6th gen by console metrics.

These threads are always full of the usual suspects. If only there was a prize for contributing to the endless revalidation of subjective opinions.