Overwatch Kicks Off "Year of the Rooster" Celebration

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Overwatch Kicks Off "Year of the Rooster" Celebration

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1377/1377534.jpgThe newest event in Overwatch celebrates the Lunar New Year and the beginning of the Year of the Rooster.

Blizzard is known for bringing special events to its games, and Overwatch is no exception. We've already seen events for Halloween, Christmas, and the Olympic Summer Games, and now the company is kicking off an event to celebrate the Lunar New Year.

Titled "Year of the Rooster," the event will run for three weeks, and will feature plenty of new goodies for players to collect, including skins and other cosmetic items. Blizzard says that "players will have the chance to collect over 100 commemorative cosmetic items, enjoy a firefight beneath some fireworks on Lijiang Tower, and work together to capture the flag in Overwatch's newest brawl mode."

As is usual in these events, the regular loot boxes have been replaced with special event loot boxes (Lunar Loot Boxes this time around). Those boxes can be earned or purchased and are guaranteed to contain at least one of the special Year of the Rooster items. There are also items available to unlock with credits through the in-game Hero Gallery.

There's also a new brawl available that features Blizzard's take on a Capture the Flag mode. It's called "Capture the Rooster," and it takes place on Lijiang Tower. As you'd expect, you have to go get the enemy's flag while protecting your own.

Blizzard also mentions that it will "also be ringing in the Lunar New Year over on our social media channels, so be sure to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for some extra luck."

The event is live now in Overwatch, and will run through February 13.

[gallery=6848]

PointlessKnowledge

It Can Wait Til Morning
Legacy
Sep 8, 2014
Country
Canada
CTF is not very good. It is simply a ultimate showcase and nothing gets done. And like always, no one plays support (except attack Symmetra).

Most of the time it seems to end in a 0-0 draw.

And before anyone says anything, I do playing healing support Zenyatta and shouldn't be getting 4 gold medals per match.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
PointlessKnowledge said:
CTF is not very good. It is simply a ultimate showcase and nothing gets done. And like always, no one plays support (except attack Symmetra).

And before anyone says anything, I do playing healing support Zenyatta and shouldn't be getting 4 gold medals per match.
I'v heard this sentiment over and over and it does not apply to my experience at all. Played about 20 games with only 2 draws. I'm on PS4 so maybe that's the difference?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
So much ambivalence seeing Mei holding those red envelopes.

On hand, she's super adorable, on the other, NO YOU MAY NOT HAVE MORE OF MY MONEY BLIZZARD!!!

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
PunkRex said:
So much ambivalence seeing Mei holding those red envelopes.

On hand, she's super adorable, on the other, NO YOU MAY NOT HAVE MORE OF MY MONEY BLIZZARD!!!
"The marketing consumes you!"

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Wow. The new Roadhog highlight intro is legit the best thing in this game, ever, period.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
SirSullymore said:
PointlessKnowledge said:

I'v heard this sentiment over and over and it does not apply to my experience at all. Played about 20 games with only 2 draws. I'm on PS4 so maybe that's the difference?
Maybe. In my experience Sym + Torb + any third defense hero together make an impenetrable defense, and thus the whole round becomes pointless (= leave game).

D.Va wears some stupid plain shorts, nuff said. Also they screwed up Mei's model (yeah, sure it's a bug, we believe ya).

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Capture the Rooster is fun... the first couple of rounds, then it gets stale and ends in a lot of draws (at least for me on PS4) - at least it's the one instance where no one gives me shit for playing as Junkrat 'cuz a trap on the point is actually pretty useful.

Speaking of Junkrat though - love me that skin, emote and victory pose.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
McElroy said:
SirSullymore said:
PointlessKnowledge said:

Maybe. In my experience Sym + Torb + any third defense hero together make an impenetrable defense, and thus the whole round becomes pointless (= leave game).

D.Va wears some stupid plain shorts, nuff said. Also they screwed up Mei's model (yeah, sure it's a bug, we believe ya).
I've played plenty of CTF and while there are some draws, you can break a Sym/Torb/Bastion defense pretty easily. If your team goes in together.