Overwatch Open Beta Extended

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Xerosch said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they went for fast matches when designing the game. After all, games are all on a timer, so either the offense caps the objectives in the allotted time or the defense holds out FOR the allotted time. Blizzard is in a "phase" of making fast-past multiplayer games. Hearthstone matches never last that long, and it's incredibly rare to see a Heroes of the Storm match go past 20 minutes. This game appears to be no different. While having good team coordination is a must, the time restraints force the offense to press hard for the objective.

One thing that I don't like is how easily the objectives can be captured. Your defense team can hold out for 8 minutes straight. In the last 10 seconds the offense get 2 guys on the objective and cap it before time runs out. Game over, you lose. One balancing issue I'd like is for an "Overtime" mechanic that benefits the defense the way the current Overtime benefits the offense.
Hmm... yeah, that's not really ideal, I think. There's loads of potential here, so for longtime motivation (and improvement of player skills) Blizzard could do a few things:
Make the capture speed exponential to the number of team members in the area.
Or maybe a roulette mode would be fun. Two teams play five rounds against each other and every round players get a different random hero.
I also think that something like a sudden death mode would force players to actually learn and master their character's skills.

From what I've read so far the main complaint about 'Overwatch' is that it's launching pretty bare bones. For me this isn't a problem (yet) as I've never played a competitive shooter until the Beta. But I can understand longtime fans of the genre fearing their motivation falling short. Well, I guess Blizzard will come up with something after a short while. If anything they are interested to keep their stuff running for ages.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
uncanny474 said:
If I have one complaint balance-wise, tho, I think D-VA's in-mech ult is a little too large or a little too quick. The blast radius of that thing is, frankly, silly. That said, I don't think that ult, or D-VA as a character are "OP".
Yeah, I've come to learn something about D-Va's ult: there's apparently no such thing as being outside the blast radius. If you can see the mech when it explodes, you're going to die.

If you want to give her ulti that huge of an AoE then that's fine, Blizzard...but it shouldn't be insta-kill at any range. There should be diminishing damage if you're on the outskirts of the already fuck-off massive blast radius. As it is, it's just a massive nuclear bomb that can be dropped off pretty much anywhere DVa wants it. Once again: someone who knows what they're doing with her can launch their mech like a frickin' ICBM to land it right on top of an objective with the flight-time taking up most of the mech's self destruct countdown so that it pretty much detonates on impact.

Xerosch said:
Make the capture speed exponential to the number of team members in the area.
I believe that's how it works already, considering the number of times I've been on defense and we've held out the entire match until the last 20 seconds when something stupid - such as an intercontinental ballistic mech missile landing right on top of us - happens and wipes us out, allowing the Offense to cap the point in like, 2 seconds because their entire team is now on it. That's why I said there needs to be some kind of Overtime mechanic for defense, or just straight-up get rid of Overtime for Offense.

Or maybe a roulette mode would be fun. Two teams play five rounds against each other and every round players get a different random hero.
There actually was a game mode like this during the weekend open beta. It wasn't a five round match, it was just a matchmaking mode that would give you a new random hero every time you died and wouldn't allow you to switch. It said that it was the "Weekly Brawl"...just going by the name: that would imply that each week will have some sort of special game mode, such as All Random like it was over the weekend.

From what I've read so far the main complaint about 'Overwatch' is that it's launching pretty bare bones. For me this isn't a problem (yet) as I've never played a competitive shooter until the Beta. But I can understand longtime fans of the genre fearing their motivation falling short. Well, I guess Blizzard will come up with something after a short while. If anything they are interested to keep their stuff running for ages.
I do agree that it needs some more game types. I know they want it to be all team-based and objective-based, but having a straight-up TDM would be nice, same with a straight-up FFA. We need more than push the cart, king of the hill, and cap the points.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
RJ 17 said:
If you want to give her ulti that huge of an AoE then that's fine, Blizzard...but it shouldn't be insta-kill at any range. There should be diminishing damage if you're on the outskirts of the already fuck-off massive blast radius. As it is, it's just a massive nuclear bomb that can be dropped off pretty much anywhere DVa wants it. Once again: someone who knows what they're doing with her can launch their mech like a frickin' ICBM to land it right on top of an objective with the flight-time taking up most of the mech's self destruct countdown so that it pretty much detonates on impact.
I have actually survived the bomb several times; the damage does appear to drop off after a certain distance, and I'm pretty sure I saw a marker showing the edge of the blast radius. That said, it is definitely a bit much, though I suck at D.VA and haven't managed to get her ult *once*, so I don't know how it feels to use.

RJ 17 said:
There actually was a game mode like this during the weekend open beta. It wasn't a five round match, it was just a matchmaking mode that would give you a new random hero every time you died and wouldn't allow you to switch. It said that it was the "Weekly Brawl"...just going by the name: that would imply that each week will have some sort of special game mode, such as All Random like it was over the weekend.
I played during the Stress Test, and I can confirm that they have at least one other brawl game mode, "Arcade Mode" which has super-short cooldowns and I think double health for all characters.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
I've played the Open Beta to level 33, and it was the most fun I've had in a shooting game since Team Fortress 2. I encountered no glitches or bugs, and though people complain about Bastion, he's just a pub-stomp newbie hero that falls off in higher levels. Calling this game a MOBA is, quite frankly, rather stupid. It'd be like calling FIFA an RPG because it has stats. Matches are fast-paced, and games over 5 minutes are the exception, rather than the rule. Overwatch is a highly-polished modern-day Team Fortress 2, just a fast, fun objective-based shooter.

My one gripe is there is no Smite-esque team deathmatch arena map, but with Overwatch doing a rotating game-mode system, one may be included at a later date.