Overwatch Update Adds Permanent Capture the Flag, Game Browser

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Overwatch Update Adds Permanent Capture the Flag, Game Browser

Overwatch's latest update adds a permanent Capture the Flag mode.

A new update has gone live on Overwatch, and one of the biggest additions is the permanent Capture the Flag mode. During Overwatch's "Year of the Rooster" event, the "Capture the Rooster" mode was added to the Arcade, and Blizzard stated that the mode was "without a doubt Overwatch's most popular brawl." Today the mode was added permanently, with Capture the Flag versions of Nepal, Lijiang Tower, Ilios, and Oasis available. That gives you 12 different Capture the Flag maps to try out.

Blizzard also introduced the Game Browser [https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20573268] today, which is "an extension of Overwatch's Custom Game mode," giving you the ability to make your custom games "accessible to a much wider range of players."

"You can toggle switches and adjust sliders for game modes, hero abilities, movement speed, health, damage, and much more," the post reads. "Not only that, once you've crafted your ruleset, the Game Browser lets you open it up to anyone, giving players from all over your region the chance to experience."

The patch also includes a number of bug fixes and tweaks to heroes. You can check out the full details here [https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/game/patch-notes/pc/#patch-34484].

This has been a busy week for Blizzard's shooter, between teasing it's upcoming new hero [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169661-Blizzard-Teases-Next-Overwatch-Character] and prepping for Season 4 of Competitive Play, which goes live tonight at 7pm ET.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
I'm cool with this, as long as I'm still able to level up outside of modded servers when the use the game browser.

You do not wanna know how much I don't like KOTH mode.

Alfredo Montenegro

Feb 28, 2017
they just took out capture the flag mode, i was playing it and it kept glitching during and after match, had to restart game twice, and now its not in menu. Im just speaking on PS4 maybe its still on PC or Xbox

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Why did they get rid of 1v1... That's annoying. I found it a great way to play solo.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Strange thing is that they removed the brawl playlist but didn't put anything in its place.

EDIT: and 1v1.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Did they... y'know... fix the CTF mode? My community played like ten games, all complete losses because the "Take 1 point of damage stops flag capture" was complete garbage. It annoyed us so much, we barely played during the event.

fractal_butterfly

Sep 4, 2010
Zydrate said:
Did they... y'know... fix the CTF mode? My community played like ten games, all complete losses because the "Take 1 point of damage stops flag capture" was complete garbage. It annoyed us so much, we barely played during the event.
I think it is a great way to enforce actual teamplay, instead of just one Tracer doing all the work.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
It may be just a small detail, but being able to change the daylight circle on the maps makes me happy.

Other than that: In my opinion this is great and a win-win. In my mind this helps players create their dream match (-> longlivety) and on the other hand Blizzard can take a glimpse at what's edited and get a better sense of balancing the classes.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
karloss01 said:
Strange thing is that they removed the brawl playlist but didn't put anything in its place.

No idea why they removed 1v1, but "All Brawls" was probably removed because the server browser supersedes it.

Every one of the previous brawls (seasonal events excluded) can be replicated by creating a new custom match with the desired ruleset changes.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
1v1 is gone and their inbuilt custom modes are broken?

Gee, wouldn't it be nice if the community could set up their own servers with whatever crazy custom game modes that modders could dream up being available? It might counteract the dearth of deep content in the game.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
IceForce said:
karloss01 said:

No idea why they removed 1v1, but "All Brawls" was probably removed because the server browser supersedes it.

Every one of the previous brawls (seasonal events excluded) can be replicated by creating a new custom match with the desired ruleset changes.
While it can, it's still obnoxious to have to sift through all of the matches, many of which are full/going to take forever to fill if you're playing by yourself.

While I find Mystery Heroes to be a generally more fun mode anyway, I liked swapping to the Brawls playlist for variety every now and then as well, and just... abandoning it so that players have to do everything themselves seems like it goes against every design decision that has been Blizzard's MO since, like, 2010.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
IceForce said:
karloss01 said:

While it can, it's still obnoxious to have to sift through all of the matches, many of which are full/going to take forever to fill if you're playing by yourself.

While I find Mystery Heroes to be a generally more fun mode anyway, I liked swapping to the Brawls playlist for variety every now and then as well, and just... abandoning it so that players have to do everything themselves seems like it goes against every design decision that has been Blizzard's MO since, like, 2010.
tbh, I agree with you.

I too used to play the Brawls playlist from time to time (my favorite was the PharMercy one). But queue times in the Arcade have been getting steadily worse recently, even getting as long as 10 minutes on some nights.

Near as I can tell, not many people were playing that game mode. And indeed, the Arcade screen used to have a 'Popularity' meter on each game mode (button), which gave you a decent indication of how long the queue time would be. But then they removed that meter, for reasons unknown.
Still though, before it was removed, I remember "All Brawls" being fairly low in popularity.

Anyways, - back to agreeing with you, - I still think of the server browser as being a bit of a gimmick that wasn't really needed.
And it's tedious as hell to scroll through a million "Widowmaker-only headshots-only" or "XXXPROREAPSXXX'S SUPER MEGA ULTRA ARENA OF EXTREME CARNAGE"

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
IceForce said:
shrekfan246 said:
IceForce said:
karloss01 said:

tbh, I agree with you.

I too used to play the Brawls playlist from time to time (my favorite was the PharMercy one). But queue times in the Arcade have been getting steadily worse recently, even getting as long as 10 minutes on some nights.

Near as I can tell, not many people were playing that game mode. And indeed, the Arcade screen used to have a 'Popularity' meter on each game mode (button), which gave you a decent indication of how long the queue time would be. But then they removed that meter, for reasons unknown.
Still though, before it was removed, I remember "All Brawls" being fairly low in popularity.

Anyways, - back to agreeing with you, - I still think of the server browser as being a bit of a gimmick that wasn't really needed.
And it's tedious as hell to scroll through a million "Widowmaker-only headshots-only" or "XXXPROREAPSXXX'S SUPER MEGA ULTRA ARENA OF EXTREME CARNAGE"
I love the customization options in the new browser (I found the previous custom games to be too highly limited to really be interesting enough to play), but yeah, I think they should have the browser and the brawls. For that matter, they should still be regularly rotating new brawl modes into the playlist, too.