Overwatch's Ana Can Get You Booted From a Match

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Overwatch's Ana Can Get You Booted From a Match

A trio of Anas can get you kicked from matches for inactivity.

Overwatch's newest hero, Ana, was added to the game earlier this month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167976-PC-Overwatch-Patch-Adds-Ana], and unfortunately she is capable of causing a lot of grief for players going up against her - more specifically, going up against more than one of her.

A video posted on the Overwatch subreddit [https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4uk6f6/you_can_perma_sleep_with_ana_and_force_people_to/] shows three players on a single team selecting Ana and teaming up against one enemy. In the video, the Anas take turns firing sleep darts, which causes their opponent to fall asleep for over 5 seconds. Once the enemy is about to get up, the next takes a shot, and so on. This can lead to a player being removed for inactivity because, even though they are still at their computer, they are technically not active. However, as the top comment points out, this isn't the most feasible plan for matches, as the rest of your team will be dealing with five players, and those five players will probably be trying to take you out.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So, does that make her the most over powered character in First Person Shooter history?

The BFG, RCP90 and AWP might be able to empty rooms, shoot through walls and one hit kill you from any distance, but Ana here deletes your character off the server!

Blizzard might want to look at how their inactivity protocol works.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
So, does that make her the most over powered character in First Person Shooter history?
No, because if you have 3 Anas, you're going to lose regardless. If you have those 3 focusing on sleeping one character, you're going to super lose.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
fix-the-spade said:

The BFG, RCP90 and AWP might be able to empty rooms, shoot through walls and one hit kill you from any distance, but Ana here deletes your character off the server!

Blizzard might want to look at how their inactivity protocol works.
you need at least 3 Ana's to pull this off not to mention that there are still 4 other enemies going around that can take you out at any moments notice so I'd say no, I doubt this will become a thing that happens regularly

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
This might not be the most feasible plan for "winning" matches in the most classical sense, but if your true objective is to troll and grief, winning is but a secondary objective to begin with.

Kinda like every time I pick Teemo in lol.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I suspect there will be diminishing returns. A grace period where after a player has been tranquilized, they can't be put to sleep again for a short period of time.

Zelderahn

Feb 19, 2014
That's a fairly hilarious little oddity, but luckily that is pretty much all it is.

Any team that runs 3 Anas will be in quickplay, and will probably get steamrolled by the other team if they actually devote the organizational time required to pull this particular brand of trolling off.

Still hilarious!

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Frankster said:
Kinda like every time I pick Teemo in lol.
Oh dear god. The flashbacks. Damn your mushroom dropping hide. On the brightside, it does make Abathurs mines in HOTS distinctly less frustrating.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Reminds me of the Sandman's original incarnation for TF2:
Good/frustrating times, depending which end of the ball you were on.

Never underestimate the ability of players to exploit a gameplay mechanic for "teh lulz."

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
6 Meis could conceivably wall off the enemy in their own starting point for the entire match, it would take Bastion/ults to break through them. Not quite as potentially breaking as his, but as other pointed out you can't do it to actually win a game.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
The best way to combat this is to increase the inactivity timer. I've always said it's too short. Admittedly, I don't know exactly how long, but it seems to be pretty much bang on the amount of time it takes for me to go and have a slash and get back to my PC (although 3 5 second sleeps is 15 seconds, which could be about right) and that's really chuffing daft. It's like Blizzard are just trying to create some kind of hell where people drip feed themselves and piss in a bucket rather than leave their games for a few fucking seconds.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
Neverhoodian said:
Reminds me of the Sandman's original incarnation for TF2:
Good/frustrating times, depending which end of the ball you were on.

Never underestimate the ability of players to exploit a gameplay mechanic for "teh lulz."
Some of the weapons and items initially released in TF2 were 100% broken as hell. The Sandman was one of them, but even it wasn't close to what the Dead Ringer or Tomislav did to make their owners invincible death machines.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Gee, it's almost like otherwise well balenced heroes can cause unexpected issues when stacked and we need a 1-2 cap to prevent such things.

Mar 30, 2010
Reminds me of this one time I got effectively frozen playing Morrowind. I found myself facing two skeleton archers with magical effect arrows, the effect in question thrown up by the RNG being 'paralyze for 3 secs'. The RoF of skeleton archers in Morrowind? You guessed it ...

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
On the one hand, maybe a 2 character cap would be nice for instances like this and the whole Torbjorn thing.

On the other hand, NO don't fix that yet because I still haven't gotten in a 6-Junkrat murder frenzy yet.

So I'll go down the middle and say that's kind of a dick move but ultimately pointless because it's just to prove that you can do it anyway and not win or make sure anyone else has fun. I'D be pissed right off if that happened to me but I can't imagine a lot of other people wouldn't be though... where's the rest of the team? (I didn't watch the video, for the record) - if it's three on one, there wasn't ANYONE who could break the cycle before the player got kicked orrr something?

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
This is something that will (or should) never happen in both quick play and competitive. three Anas is half the team dedicated to afking a single hero on the opposite side. so whilst these three Anas are taking out one Reinhardt or Mercy the other three team mates need to keep five opposing team members at bay in a game where the each round/check point lasts like three minutes each.