Overwatch's Closed Beta Returns in Feb With New Game Mode

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Overwatch's Closed Beta Returns in Feb With New Game Mode

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1013/1013091.jpg
The new game mode is based on the feedback from the first Overwatch beta.

given us an update [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/overwatch]: the beta will return in mid-February, along with a new game mode.

"While progress has been great and the team has been working super hard to get everything implemented on time, we're not quite ready to bring the Closed Beta back online just yet. We've been pretty open about the fact that we could slip into February from the beginning, but a big reason for this delay is that we really wanted to add one more big feature to the next beta patch," wrote Blizzard.

It was fairly mum on what the new game mode would entail, but did say it was based on feedback from the first closed beta, as well as the open beta weekend. The gamemode will join Point Capture and Payload, meaning that the next beta patch will contain three modes in total.

Additionally, the patch will contain the first iteration of the progression system that Blizzard has been working on.

"[We] don't have an exact date for when the Closed Beta will resume, but right now we're looking at mid-February (and we don't intend to slip out of February)," said Blizzard.

Source: Blizzard [http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20421003773#1]

iamzim101

Feb 22, 2011
If it follows the theme (of tf2 game modes *cough*). I predict the next game mode to be 5cp or ctf. Maybe even special delivery/robot destruction.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
iamzim101 said:
If it follows the theme (of tf2 game modes *cough*). I predict the next game mode to be 5cp or ctf. Maybe even special delivery/robot destruction.
Considering CTF is not and was never exclusive to Team Fortress, nor was the whole concept of assault modes, its not a big stretch to imagine another game borrowing modes from TF2. Some people may enjoy a new flavor of the concept, while Overwatch has a few things that make it different.
I don't begrudge anyone for not wanting to play it but it should be no surprise that a game is borrowing from another game, its a time-honored tradition of piracy, or homage depending on who you ask that stretches back to the earliest days of game development and even software development.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Since Blizzard seems to want to build up some lore along with the game it could be interesting to see them create an assault mode similar to Unreal Tournament where you reenact some historical event based on the game's lore.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Cannot wait for the beta to relaunch. Even if I don't get in, I'm really curious to see what they're doing for the progression system.

Raidenko

Aug 25, 2010
Hah, funny I just bought the damn thing today on blind faith alone(ok,ok I let TB an his posse get to my that it will be the next great thing). Would be nice to get a invite on feb , but not holding my breath.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
I cant wait to see how they balanced the characters. I'm a defense/support guy and from what I hear they were a little under powered in the last beta.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Cannot wait for the beta to relaunch. Even if I don't get in, I'm really curious to see what they're doing for the progression system.
Don't worry, you won't get in. Not unless you've got a youtube channel with at least 500K subscribers. Then they'll be happy to use you as free publicity hook you up with a beta code.

To quote the guy who posted my favorite comment to Overwatch's most recent trailer on youtube: "We are Blizzard fans. We are patient. We are not streamers. We are...Onlywatch." :p

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
RJ 17 said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Don't worry, you won't get in. Not unless you've got a youtube channel with at least 500K subscribers. Then they'll be happy to use you as free publicity hook you up with a beta code.

To quote the guy who posted my favorite comment to Overwatch's most recent trailer on youtube: "We are Blizzard fans. We are patient. We are not streamers. We are...Onlywatch." :p
If it makes anyone hopeful, I've been in it since the beginning. Have I been leaving money on the table by not streaming or recording? I didn't think that is something I should do since I have the charisma of a grilled cheese sandwich.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
RJ 17 said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:

Only time I ever streamed was a couple nights of D3 and that was cause the SO's computer was acting up and she couldn't do it.

The first wave was mostly to streamers to build hype, but that massive second wave encompassed a lot of other people (including me!).

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
RJ 17 said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:

We still doing this? "I didn't get an invite, therefore only streamers did". And god damn a company for advertising! HOW HEINOUS. This level of Anti company-ism really grinds my gears.

And so what? Just because a streamer got an invite, that doesn't mean they're not going to criticize it. Why does this notion keep popping up that youtubers or streamers will NEVER under any circumstances test a game? Lets be honest here, most people don't do jack to actually test a game when they're in a beta.

I also contest your last statement, Blizzard fans are impatient as fuck. MMO-Champion forums have to be the worst forum ever.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
elvor0 said:
We still doing this? "I didn't get an invite, therefore only streamers did". And god damn a company for advertising! HOW HEINOUS. This level of Anti company-ism really grinds my gears.

And so what? Just because a streamer got an invite, that doesn't mean they're not going to criticize it. Why does this notion keep popping up that youtubers or streamers will NEVER under any circumstances test a game? Lets be honest here, most people don't do jack to actually test a game when they're in a beta.
1: I don't recall saying anything about how a streamer would fail to criticize a game during a closed beta.

2: I honestly don't care, just saying it would be nice if they spread the love around.

I also contest your last statement, Blizzard fans are impatient as fuck. MMO-Champion forums have to be the worst forum ever.
3: That wasn't my statement, as I said: that's what someone left as a comment for the most recent trailer on youtube.