Overwatch's Competitive Mode Will Limit Teams to One of Each Character

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Not sure what to think about the character limit yet. Could be I haven't run into very many stacked teams and most that I have seen failed miserably and changed. Being able to pick what you want is nice though and I don't see it making people pay any more attention to team comp.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
I understand that very well.

1. It's a nightmare to balance for competitive if you can have doubles. And i'm not talkin' about lame 5x same stacks but 2-2-1 stacks of 3 heroes or 3-1-1 in various combinations. Just look at all the Mobas out there always trying to catch their outliers and keep ever champ/hero on equal footing.

2. It's better for the viewer and that's where the long term money is. They didn't manage to do it right with HotS and SC2s viewers are okay-ish but with OW they've now the chance to stand next to Dota, League and CS - so you obviously want viewer friendly games and havin' each player on a distinctive character makes for easier recognition on stream.

3. If they manage to get their kits to comparable strenghts it doesn't take away too much strategic depth - again i refer to Mobas where picks are incredibly important even without doubles and there's enough metagaming to be done that way.