Oxenfree

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Just got and played it start to finish. Not bad at all. More of a 'sleeper cult hit' than a mainstream smash. Anyone else tried it?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
http://store.steampowered.com/app/388880/ - $20.00

https://www.gog.com/game/oxenfree - $9.99

Sharia

Nov 30, 2015
I picked it up when it released on the PS4 several weeks back, it quickly became one of my favourites from the year. Aside from the fact that I find it very difficult to distinguish what effects what, and a conversation timer that is just too quick some of the time, I enjoyed everything else about it. A very interesting story indeed.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
One of my games of the year. Call me an indie hipster if you like but I really love what I like to call walking and talking simulators (the only games I've played that really fit that genre are Oxenfree and Firewatch). Really good story and characters. Dialogue could get a bit cheesy at times but for the most part it was really good. Voice acting wasn't amazing but it was still good. I love the art style and soundtrack.

I've played it twice. Once before the update then a new game plus after the update.

The whole ARG thing was pretty interesting although I didn't get involved in it myself.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Loved it.

I especially liked the altercation in the communications tower. Two guys are arguing rather incessantly about which of them should go with you, and instead of picking one or the other you can tell them both to shut up and pick the girl instead. It was some of the best videogame dialogue I've heard in a long time.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
I really liked it, too - the creepy undertones mixed with the real laid-back nature of the conversations and stuff meshed well. I'm not even an indie hipster but I thought it was a cool experience

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Played it a few months ago and rather enjoyed it. A sci-fi horror story with a bit of coming of age thrown in. Doesn't go on for too long and stops when it's done with it's story.

My one nitpick is that it's really unclear what the relationship changes really do.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Yeah, this was an unexpected delight. Great characterisation and ambience. Hopefully it can gain a bit more publicity as i think all their money went on, you know, making the actual game instead of marketing.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I have it on my wishlist. I'll probably purchase it during the coming sale.It looks really interesting.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Xsjadoblayde said:
Yeah, this was an unexpected delight. Great characterisation and ambience. Hopefully it can gain a bit more publicity as i think all their money went on, you know, making the actual game instead of marketing.
That is the glorious thing about 'word of mouth' successes. They feel like they have been earned. Plus, now that the developer has gained itself a reputation (or sorts) there are going to be plenty of people out there eager to buy whatever else that they have in store. Like with Bastion/Transistor.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Sorry, I had to!

Anyway I'm pretty sure I saw Markiplier playing this one. It looked...okay. A little 'try-hardy'

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Fox12 said:
I have it on my wishlist. I'll probably purchase it during the coming sale.It looks really interesting.
There is currently a sale on GOG, if you're interested.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
DoPo said:
Fox12 said:
There is currently a sale on GOG, if you're interested.
I may need to finally create a GOG account then. Thanks for the heads up.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Drops a Sweet Katana said:
Hey, that looks pretty cool! I'll definitely have to check it out. How long does a playthrough take?
Maybe 5 hours? A little more or less depending on if you want to go around collecting all of the letters and audio messages or go straight through.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Dalisclock said:
Drops a Sweet Katana said:
Hey, that looks pretty cool! I'll definitely have to check it out. How long does a playthrough take?
Maybe 5 hours? A little more or less depending on if you want to go around collecting all of the letters and audio messages or go straight through.
Noice. Definitely gonna have to pick it up.