Pachter: 3D Gaming the Future, But A Fad For Now

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
I say that the moment 3D gaming is no longer a fad is when it is implemented with virtual reality.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Michael Pachter must have a masters degree in stating the obvious.
Why the hell does this guy make money? I swear to you half the gamers on this site could do what he does.

Feb 4, 2010
AC10 said:
Why the hell does this guy make money? I swear to you half the gamers on this site could do what he does.
He's really good at marketing himself. I'd bet he knows people, too.

Competence is often important but people who get out there and sell themselves go places whether they're good at what they do or not.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Stabby Joe said:
Interesting view.

When most new technology comes into the media such as the optical disc, old technology is phased out, but nowadays new technology is "phased in"... probably because nothing is groundbreaking in these modern times.
....What "new" technology are you talking about??
Electrogecko said:
for all you saying "until they stop using optical tricks, it's not real 3d" (yes I've heard ppl say that) ALL 3D IS AN OPTICAL TRICK THAT COMES FROM HAVING 2 EYES!!!!
you misunderstand the method and technology used to create this "3D", a typical person that says 3D means stereography/autography which is done by displaying red in one eye and blue in the other creates this illusion however truly true 3D (volumetric display and something else) creates a true 3D image in the air with the help of lasers

Exhibit A:volumetric display

Exhibit B:stereography/autography (stereography I think)

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
AC10 said:
No he has a masters degree in answering questions possed to him by the audience of gametrailers.com.
It's not his fault this site constantly miss-represents Q&A sessions as a press statment

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Its a step to the future I believe...it will hopefullyl ead to bigger, better things!

Meoith

Jun 18, 2010
Screw 3d tv sets i want lcd glasses capable of 3d surround vision with at least 1280x1024 resolution(providing it has atleast aa) along with built in motion tracking.

Is that 10 years away from being affordable, given the pace which lcds/etc are improving at?.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
mad825 said:
Stabby Joe said:
Interesting view.

When most new technology comes into the media such as the optical disc, old technology is phased out, but nowadays new technology is "phased in"... probably because nothing is groundbreaking in these modern times.
....What "new" technology are you talking about??
Well that's the problem, as I said theirs less groundbreaking, or even new technology. Things like touch screens, 3D, motion controls, hands free (all of which have been around longer than some people think) etc aren't mandatory like the optical disc quickly came.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I've asked this again and again and again and a-FREAKIN-gain, but absolutely nobody has answered it!

Have any of you actually played a 3D game? Or are you just basing 3D as a fad on 3D movies? You cannot interchange 3D movies and 3D games, they don't even use the same technology, and personally I think that 3D has much more potential in games than in movies.

I've played WipeoutHD in 3D on my friend's 3D TV, and it was a blast. At first, yes, it was a bit disorienting, but I got used to it and the glasses were fine on me despite me wearing glasses already.

3D is a very interesting technology to me and it'll be interesting to see how movies, but mostly games, will implement it. There's a lot of potential in exploiting 3D for video games, especially in the survival-horror genre (think of the game fucking with your perception even more).

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
So far I've skipped HD entirely (though I'm getting close to the point of thinking about getting an HD TV), but out of curiosity I've had a look at the current crop of 3D TVs and monitors, and I can definitely say I'm not going to get one of those just yet.

The TVs are insanely expensive, and every one that I've found thus far uses active glasses, which are both inferior and expensive. I'm holding out for passive (circular polarised) glasses. And I'm tempted to just get a 3D monitor instead of a TV, because they're much cheaper. (They have the same technology problems as TVs, though.)

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Jumplion said:
I've asked this again and again and again and a-FREAKIN-gain, but absolutely nobody has answered it!

Have any of you actually played a 3D game? Or are you just basing 3D as a fad on 3D movies? You cannot interchange 3D movies and 3D games, they don't even use the same technology, and personally I think that 3D has much more potential in games than in movies.

I've played WipeoutHD in 3D on my friend's 3D TV, and it was a blast. At first, yes, it was a bit disorienting, but I got used to it and the glasses were fine on me despite me wearing glasses already.

3D is a very interesting technology to me and it'll be interesting to see how movies, but mostly games, will implement it. There's a lot of potential in exploiting 3D for video games, especially in the survival-horror genre (think of the game fucking with your perception even more).
QUOTED. FOR. F*CKING. TRUTH.

I've played SuperStar Dust, WipeOut, and RE5 in 3D. The effects weren't too crazy for RE5, but I thought that the 3D effects in WipeOut made it a whole new game. The playstyle was completely different once I got use to the 3D (and the glasses on glasses thing).

I'm interested in how they might combine Move with 3D.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Pingieking said:
Jumplion said:

QUOTED. FOR. F*CKING. TRUTH.

I've played SuperStar Dust, WipeOut, and RE5 in 3D. The effects weren't too crazy for RE5, but I thought that the 3D effects in WipeOut made it a whole new game. The playstyle was completely different once I got use to the 3D (and the glasses on glasses thing).

I'm interested in how they might combine Move with 3D.
I've read on a short article in GameInformer on Gran Turismo 5, and apparently if you have the Move (specifically the PSEye camera) the game will apply head tracking when you're in first person mode while driving your car (If you don't know what head tracking is, google it, or youtube it, it's pretty nifty.)