Pachter: Ex-IW Heads Have "No Prayer" of Recapturing Modern Warfare

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Pachter: Ex-IW Heads Have "No Prayer" of Recapturing Modern Warfare

No matter how hard Jason West and Vince Zampella try, Michael Pachter doesn't think the law will relinquish Modern Warfare over to them.

The Modern Warfare [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98857-Ex-Infinity-Ward-Bosses-Sue-Activision-for-Unpaid-Royalties] brand they created. According to industry analyst Michael Pachter, that'll never happen.

"West and Zampella have no prayer of obtaining control of the brand," Pachter told IndustryGamers. He reasons that West and Zampella only claimed creative control, and not control of the brand in general. Due to this distinction, Pachter says they would only be entitled to damages, but not the Modern Warfare franchise.

"As it happens, they have never claimed that they 'own' the brand; instead, they claim that they were granted creative control over the brand under their employment agreement," Pachter continued. "These are two completely different things. Their creative control was clearly intended to be in effect only while they were employees, and the day that their employment terminated, their creative control ended."

Pachter points out that a wrongful termination lawsuit can end in two ways: a legal remedy, such as compensation, or with an equitable remedy, such as the terminated employee being given his/her job back. "If they want their old jobs back, they can ask for them, but they didn't do so," he added. "Instead, they are blending the two concepts of legal and equitable remedies, asking for damages and asking for control over the Call of Duty brand, but not asking to be reinstated as employees. The law just doesn't allow stuff like that, as it would be unreasonable to require Activision to grant control over its valuable property to unrelated third parties."

While the idea of Modern Warfare's creators snatching the title back from Activision is very Robin Hood [http://www.amazon.com/Robin-Hood-Wanted-Brian-Bedford/dp/B000ICM5T4/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1302104959&sr=1-2]-esque, Pachter doesn't believe it to be possible. Whether he knows better than West and Zampella's lawyers is another story, though the duo could be going for a longshot.

Source: IndustryGamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-devs-have-no-prayer-of-regaining-control-of-brand/]

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
I have to agree here, I don't see them gaining the license for Modern Warfare over this. Monetary compensation and such possibly. But I don't believe they created the "idea" of Modern Warfare, as a contracted employee I can't imagine them thinking they own the rights.

Jul 9, 2008
Mouse_Crouse said:
I have to agree here, I don't see them gaining the license for Modern Warfare over this. Monetary compensation and such possibly. But I don't believe they created the "idea" of Modern Warfare, as a contracted employee I can't imagine them thinking they own the rights.
Agreed. Even without going into the border-legalese the article goes into, there's just no way to expect that they would get Modern Warfare back.

bmart008

Sep 20, 2009
I hope they do get Modern Warfare back from those money grubbing activisioners. I also hope that they have to pay West and Zampella a fee for every Call of Duty game ever made, why? Because horrible orwellian business practices need to be punished.

Also, Pachter is usually wrong, so it seems like they will get modern warfare back.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I hope they do get it back as well. At least we will get a decent conclusion to the 'mess' MW2 was, story-wise. Considering the US was supposed to lead an invasion against Russia while Price & Co are on the run doing their sneaky sneaky ops to fix the problem and stop the war.

Oh well, Acti will ruin MW3 for sure :(

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
There are two types of Pachter-isms: obvious shit and completely wrong ideas.

Let's hope this is the second case.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I hope if they go for the longshot they hit their goal and get control of MW again. MW2 had a lot of problems but these are the same guys that made CoD4. Given the time and good environment to make the third sequel I think they could make a really good MW3.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Well yeah, it's pretty damn unlikely to happen. I could have told you that...

My hopes are that they win tons of money in damages from Activision and use said money to develop a completely awesome new game that destroys COD/MW.

ferablC fourth

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
Let's just hope that having three studios work on the same game won't be the absolute worst idea Activision has ever come up with, aside from Treyarch "Mediocrity Incarnate" Corporation's fever dream Black Ops..

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Autofaux said:
Let's just hope that having three studios work on the same game won't be the absolute worst idea Activision has ever come up with, aside from Treyarch "Mediocrity Incarnate" Corporation's fever dream Black Ops..
Which sold incredibly well and won a slew of awards, so yeah, awful move on their part.

Astalano

Nov 24, 2009
The Pachter strikes again!

There are three features that one may clearly observe while studying the Pachter:

1. It will always point out the obvious. When a herd of wild Pachters are ambushed by a lion, they will stand and point out the lion for several seconds while other species run away frantically.

2. It will always insist on something implausible (Wii 2). While other animals are happily munching on some grass, the Pachter will patiently and stubbornly wait in one spot, hoping for grass to sprout in a desert area.

3. The Pachter will always be the centre of attention in any herd, even though it does nothing extraordinary.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
johnman said:
Autofaux said:
Which sold incredibly well and won a slew of awards, so yeah, awful move on their part.
Didn't Super Mario Galaxy 2 also get a nomination for 'Technical Innovation' in BAFTA?

L34dP1LL

Mar 6, 2010
johnman said:
Autofaux said:
Awful move on our part really, we the gamers got drawn to the because of the Call of Duty franchise, not because of the content.

sylekage

Dec 24, 2008
New Game!

Cry of Obligation: Present day Warfare

Yeah I did it...

Just give it back, they're good at making the games. Or just let them back on it so they can end the Modern Warfare series, then do what you will

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
Astalano said:
The Pachter strikes again!

There are three features that one may clearly observe while studying the Pachter:

1. It will always point out the obvious. When a herd of wild Pachters are ambushed by a lion, they will stand and point out the lion for several seconds while other species run away frantically.

2. It will always insist on something implausible (Wii 2). While other animals are happily munching on some grass, the Pachter will patiently and stubbornly wait in one spot, hoping for grass to sprout in a desert area.

3. The Pachter will always be the centre of attention in any herd, even though it does nothing extraordinary.

You know, I was all prepared to trot out my clairvoyant gypsy Pachter joke again, but you've gone and made fun of him better than I could've. So, thanks and fuck you! (that "fuck you" is a joke by the way)