Pachter: Nintendo Should "Consider Getting Out of the Wii U Business"

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
*only reads the article*

Pachter said:
"Obviously, If they discontinue the Wii U, they will sell no console software...I think they should reconsider going multiplatform until they release a new console, then they can pull all of their software from the PS4 and Xbox One, and go back to being a proprietary software maker."
By dropping the proprietary gambit, Nintendo could greatly expand the reach of their software sales, and it's no secret that Nintendo's software is their strongest asset (their hardware is underpowered and overpriced even for consoles).

The drawbacks for Nintendo of course, are:
1) If they distribute via Sony and Microsoft, now they're paying royalties to their direct competition in the hardware market, making that counter productive both in the interim and in the long run.

2) Nintendo pulling their games from those systems once they're back in the hardware market sounds like an excellent way to piss off everyone involved. I saw this "Give-and-take" attitude play out for EA's Origin when they pulled from Steam; it wasn't pretty, and left a lot of consumers mad.

(Hey, Sony/MS contract lawyers, if you're reading this and suspect your executive board(s) might follow Pachter's scenario.

Be sure to add a hefty exit clause to penalize Nintendo should they follow Pachter's gambit (bolded). Either that or forbid Nintendo from making exclusive any software they sell via your systems. At least for the life span of your consoles.
Your customers will thank you for it, Nintendo will curse your name, and your investors won't ***** too loudly.

Worst case scenario: Nintendo rejects your offer and loses out on revenue they very badly need right now.)

Simply put: If Nintendo leaves the console hardware business, they need to branch out to every platform they can, and leave the hardware for good. (sell on GOG, smartphones, tablets, not just your own hardware)

Yanking people around with some bootstrap gambit isn't going to end well.
Well, unless people are far more stupid than I think they are. (and I should know better than underestimate human stupidity)