Pachter Predicts $100 Xbox Live "Platinum" Membership

ScRaT_the_destroyer

King of Fail
Nov 18, 2009
well i don't mind and would only contemplate it if the services it provides are useful, though on the other hand; if they cannibalise features from gold and make them platinum only (like last.fm or all the videos they put up) i would sell my xbox in frustration

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I can see Microsoft considering something like this, but there is a lot going on that would discourage it. A Platinum plan can misfire and alienate those who can't afford it, driving customers away from LIVE. Microsoft would lose more than $80 million a year picking up the pieces. With a lot riding on Kinect being a success, taking a chance with a new service for LIVE right now would be stupid.
I would think that Pachter has a considerable stake in Microsoft and by spouting this out he is hoping something to occur that would drive stock up. Otherwise this guy is smoking something seriously bad and needs to get away from it pronto.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
JoJoDeathunter said:
As a reluctant Xbox Live Gold subscriber, I can confirm that I would NOT be willing to pay the UK £ equivalent of $40 extra a year for just a few pieces of armour and weapons on Halo and some randon media enhancement which I never use in the first place!
Too right. I don't know what else they could really offer that could feel like a must have. Even though I don't use itunes, I don't know what benefit being able to access it through XBL would be. If I've got access to XBL, I'll be at home, meaning my computer is there, which I'd be able to access on my computer. The same really applies to the Facebook access, I feel.

As for extra in game items - don't get me started! It annoys when I see a game released with a few bonus weapons/costumes and the like, and they have the nerve to call the thing a Limited Edition! The sad thing is, some people out there do view these things like they're the second coming.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Can we stop reporting on everything he says?

He's either wrong, or he points out the bloody obvious. EVERY TIME.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Wow, I hope this doesn't happen. Because I know I can certainly afford it, but I really don't want to feel like I HAVE to pay it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
its funny, people like to say that pc gaming is expensive but really its much cheaper then gaming on the 360, a comp will cost more then a 360 but at least you dont have to pay anything other then isp fees to play things online

Feb 13, 2008
Eukaryote said:
Oh also: *insert PC Gamer "I don't have to pay for online multiplayer and never will, and get to mod my games and get free DLC" rant here*
This is why we scoff at the idea that PC gaming is expensive. Over the lifetime of the machine, it pays itself back tenfold.

I mean, fair enough, consoles have their exclusives and things, but we get the entire back catalogue, mods, free online...

IMHO everyone should have a console and a PC. Save all the arguments. (Probably a PS3 though, as Micro$oft just seem to sting you for daring to buy their stuff.)

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Maybe with the platinum plan, you'll get full xbox live membership and be enrolled in the beta for xbox love. Xbox Love will be a service where Microsoft will send a hooker to your house every other month. I'd pay $100 for that easy. I mean it would have to be something like that for people to pay that kind of money, right?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
cursedseishi said:
Kalezian said:
cursedseishi said:
"Ten bucks over the course of a year is hardly a deal-breaker (although you might think otherwise based on some reactions to the news)"

Thats a good joke... specially since 50$ a year ain't worth it when all I want is to play online, and none of the other shit they force onto me that I never use... and the same goes with the 60$ plan as well...

And Pachter needs to shut his trap before he gives Microsoft any ideas.

And yes, while it works out to 8 a month, it isn't. Its a 100$ sum paid all at once, just like the 60$ a year isn't actually 5$ a month. If it was, people wouldn't care as much then.

so basicly you are paying a little over the price for a new game for an entire years worth of online gaming.

let me point this out even further, Anarchy Online, the 9 year old MMO, costs roughly $194.00 USd for an entire year of play time.

If people are getting worked up on a price hike THIS insignificant, they should remember the golden rule of capitalism: there is an idiot born every minute if something does not suit your tastes, needs, or expectations, there is someone else that will.
EXCEPT! Anarchy Online is free to play as you like, and if you like it enough, you can start paying to have access to the expansions, and considering the excess strain of having bits of data controlling large globs of data as they fight random bits of data with other globs of data, or against other globs of data, sometimes in even larger globs of data, the price fits. And the fact they are updating the games graphics engine for free, is a nice thing as well.

At most, XBox's servers just need to support 16 players in a copy of a map. Guild Wars does the exact thing for free, along with giving them persistent areas to hang out in for free. And MAG handles large scale battles free as well.
So pretty much you're saying:

"Because Microsoft want to make a profit and other company's don't make as much as a profit i think they're being stupid".

I mean, i'm all for it being cheaper, but its a business. They have to make money somehow. Considering they've been lagging behind lately i don't see all the fuss. Some people like live, deal with it.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
This genuinely excites me, and I hope Pachter's right. This could be an awesome step forward for Live.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
*grabs a blunt object and starts beating Pachter in the face*

SHUT! THE! FUCK! UP! YOU! WORTHLESS! PIECE! OF! CRAP!

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
they jacked up the price fo services I never use in any form why would I pay even more for more services I dont use ... good thing I dont actually even bother with a gold account.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
cursedseishi said:
dogstile said:
So pretty much you're saying:

"Because Microsoft want to make a profit and other company's don't make as much as a profit i think they're being stupid".

I mean, i'm all for it being cheaper, but its a business. They have to make money somehow. Considering they've been lagging behind lately i don't see all the fuss. Some people like live, deal with it.
And where exactly did I say I hate live?
... Yeah, screw arguing with you. READ.