Pachter: This Is The Final Generation

I III II X4

Nov 14, 2008
Ollie596 said:
Ahh what a load of bullshit, theres going to be at least another generation
Simply put, what Ollie said.

----

Also, the whole talk of "graphics" and what not...

Processing power? Sure, more action on the screen with less lag, faster loading/rendering, that I can go for, but graphics?

Let's remember our roots, people. We were lucky if what we could tell what it was we were looking at, let alone being able to distinguish it from the background. True, graphics have their uses, but graphics shouldn't be the only damn selling point.

Disclaimer: While the poster does believe that graphics alone don't make a game, he does encourage the creative use of graphics, such as Okami, JetSetRadioFuture and other titles.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
Balderdash. New technology shall continue to come into existence and become cheaper so hardware companies shall continue to make new systems, if the universe doesn't end for awhile.

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
I think this guy is just getting cocky about OnLive. I don't think he's actually thought about the people who don't have an internet connection, is he just going to screw them over?

I'm also sure Moore's law is still going to be in effect for quite some time still

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
I can see his point consoles are getting more expensive/longer to build and create content for without being able to create new customers (Wii aside)
At over 100 million sold sony has had kept roughly 25% of its PS2 fanbase with the PS3

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Aries_Split said:
Hardware can't have "potential"

The PS3 is limited by it's 7800 GFX card.

The 360 is limited by it's 6800 GFX card.

The Ps3 has peaked too, just at a higher place than the 360.
The thing that keeps a console alive for so long is the game developers learning to use the code in new and interesting ways. When a new console comes out, they don't have to worry about optimizing code as much because the release games are obviously going to look better than the previous generation. When it comes to pushing every ounce of processing power out of a console, the developers will find ways of coding things to achieve the outcome (or at least close to it). This is a pretty obvious observation if you will look at the release games compared to the games released at the end of a console's life.

The Playstation 2 is a great example of this. They pushed that thing to the limits with God of War 2. I feel like the Xbox didn't get to do that; they pushed out the 360 early to beat Sony to the punch - and while it worked, I believe the original Xbox never lived up to its full potential.

To say there won't be another console? That's just crazy talk. Obviously, when technology becomes cheaper and smaller, one of the game companies will work on developing and releasing a console that takes gaming to an unbelievable new level (or at the least, one step up - lol). When that happens, rival companies will look at putting out a new console to compete. If Sony was the only one to release a next generation console, and Nintendo and MS stayed with the current generation (now, let's say this happens in ~ 6 years) - obviously, the Sony console is going to be amazing (hopefully, unless they really screw it up). Even if it is more expensive, the price will eventually drop after a few years and gamers will be buying this system - ESPECIALLY if it is the ONLY gaming system available! If MS and Big N have no plans to release a new console, there's no competition. I don't see that happening in the next 20 years unless a company goes stupid (SEGA) with their console release(s).

There would be so many good and bad things about a "1-Console-Gaming" world; Everyone would be able to enjoy the games that would ordinarily be on a different system - However, there would be no large changes in gaming due to no competition and no need to change things up.

Let's face it - Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft have all revolutionized gameplay in their own way. I use these 3 as an example, because while other companies have had great ideas (SEGA), they've also had some terrible horrible ones (SEGA!). Hard drives, CD, DVD, Blu-ray, motion control, online gaming, downloading games...

Ok, I'll stop the rant. That's my 35 cents on the subject.

:D

y8c616

May 14, 2008
Zeeky_Santos said:
Keane Ng said:
David Cole of DFC Intelligence thinks that by 2012, the PS3 will be king of the software sales hill and Nintendo and Microsoft will be forced to put on new consoles.
kinda funny since the PS3 is really quite over-rated and has been doing worse than the PS2 in terms of sales. this is clearly the last thing for Sony, but Microsoft's Xbox 360 is still doing far better than their original console the Xbox. this could lead to Microsoft deciding to make a another Xbox just because they got cocky.
Ps3 isn't doing as well as teh ps2, but for the time it's been out, its outsold the 360 by almost 4 million units. Hardly the last thing from sony, I think.

karmapolizei

Sep 26, 2008
I think Pachter is kind of right. What would you need more powerful consoles for? Hell, the PC sure didn't need a new generation of video hardware every 6 or 12 months, quite to the contrary. If developers get the chance to stick to the hardware they're getting, I think they can make marvelous things out of it - after all, that's one of the things consoles are about.
Also, I don't think graphics have seen much of a significant development in the last few years, which to my memory is a first in gaming history. New hardware just hardly can add anything substantial to what's already there, and people are starting to notice. That's why you can't sell a XBox Space Age or a Playstation 4, because no one would spend hundreds of dollars on a piece of hardware that only delivers marginal improvements.

And please notice that Pachter's not saying people will throw away their current-gen consoles and go for PC again, that's probably not going to happen. What he's saying is that the current-gen consoles are going to stick around with marginal hardware changes, and devs will continue to make games for these platforms. And if you ask me, that would be a good thing.

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
I love when I go toe to toe with Pachter. Last time he predicted something I disagreed with, I went all in on my predictions and came out right.

People will always have the desire to NOT be shut-in PC gamers in a cave-like room, and want play games in the living room. And no, balancing your keyboard in your lap and using the couch as a mouse pad doesn't count.

There will always be a market for consoles... more specifically, for the console business model: a licensed, platform-mediated market. The delivery method might change be that remote execution or traditional digital distro, but consoles are here to stay.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
im not putting any faith in services like OnLive. Id rather take my chances with having to upgrade my console every 10+ years & still be able to use the games either on the old machine or with backwards capability; rather than rely solely on the servers of a company who if they go, my entire library goes with them. The industry seems so caught up with how awesome they are for developing these technologies they seem to forget how bad they really are when considering the long term.

Gylukios

The Red Comet
Dec 3, 2008
Mstrswrd said:
Everyone remember that "Nintendo ON" video? That was from the future!!!1!.

Joking aside, Pachter seems to make outlandish claims that usually seem to be true, at least in part, so I really wouldn't be surprised if a better version of the Wii was released, and then that was that for a good 10 years as they perfect projection 3D and VR gaming.
Unfortunately, VR gaming will be the end of mankind.

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
So does that mean movies,music and T.V are going to stop also? Last check games were the biggest form of media, I somehow doubt that this will be the last, we still have holograms and "controlled by thought" yet to come.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Inclined to agree. What is a new console going to do? Have a bigger hard drive? You can just sell me an add-on. Have better graphics? The Wii already proved most people don't care. Have a different controller? You can just sell me that separately too.

It's just not worth the cash dump anymore.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
So what he is saying is that the consoles are simply not worth the money, and with yesterdays report that Pc gaming is still the most lucrative of the lot, it seems that the most likely outcome in a few years time will be that the consoles technology has stagnated while the Pc will be strongers due to cheaper prices and returning console gamers.
That is assuming of course htat this anynalist is pulling facts out of his arse like most of them do.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
edgeofblade said:
I love when I go toe to toe with Pachter. Last time he predicted something I disagreed with, I went all in on my predictions and came out right.

People will always have the desire to NOT be shut-in PC gamers in a cave-like room, and want play games in the living room. And no, balancing your keyboard in your lap and using the couch as a mouse pad doesn't count.

There will always be a market for consoles... more specifically, for the console business model: a licensed, platform-mediated market. The delivery method might change be that remote execution or traditional digital distro, but consoles are here to stay.
And why cant you hook your pc up to your Tv and use a 360 controller to play gears, with free online, better framerates and graphics?