Pacific Rim 2 delayed indefinitely.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Guillermo Del Toro right now:

Anyway, yeah, Pacific Rim 2 is not looking like it will be released anytime soon.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/09/16/will-pacific-rim-2-go-the-way-of-tron-3/

Obviously it's not confirmed DEAD, but delayed indefinitely is not often a recoverable state to be in. How do you guys feel about this? Personally, I don't care much since I thought Pacific Rim was mediocre. More of a Godzilla man, myself. Godzilla 2 still going strong, by the way. So, uh... I got no complaints. I do feel for Del Toro, though.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
As a fan of giant robots... NOOOOOOO!

I wanted more smashy smashy in my future summers. I hope it picks up steam again.

Mar 26, 2008
Saw this coming a mile off. That said it still doesn't stop the news from sucking. I thought the first one had a lot of potential that could have been fully realised in a sequel.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
It is the saddest personal day of the year for me.

No matter what your opinion on Pacific Rim was, you had to admit it was something special - it was a niche anime concept that every kid from the 80s onward was praying for, and its death is catastrophic. Even if you didn't like it, and thought someone else/some other source material would have been better, this dead franchise (Or could have been franchise, anyway) pretty much puts the nail in the coffin for any big mech series (Besides, of course, Transformers... ew), at least for the near to mid-distance future.

An entire possible Hollywood genre, struck dead in one fell swoop.

Programmed_For_Damage said:
Saw this coming a mile off. That said it still doesn't stop the news from sucking. I thought the first one had a lot of potential that could have been fully realised in a sequel.
Well, yah. I guess most people probably did. But there was always hope.

Fuck it, I'm popping Pacific Rim into the my player right now and watching it. Live long, you giant metal rock stars!

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I really enjoyed the first one and I don't exactly have high hopes for Godzilla vs King Kong...I just realized that Godzilla is getting the Superman treatment...great, Godzilla 2 will be more about King Kong and it'll probably establish an American version of the Toho movie monster plethora...I look forward to seeing Jet Jaguar being mentioned once or twice and Mothera coming in to break up the fight when King Ghidora reveals itself as the true villain. Or this could be another movie wherein the main characters are boring ass humans...

back on-topic; I loved Pacific Rim and am at least happy that the first movie exists. I hope Del Toro doesn't get too discouraged though.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
A pity, to be sure. I would have loved to see more giant robots punching giant monsters in the face. I would also have liked to see them improve on some flaws--mainly, the other robot pilots totally sucking when they finally got to fight--but I'm not terribly disappointed. The reason being that Pacific Rim ended nicely. It wrapped everything up without any sequel baiting that so many movies like to do. No last second shot showing the aliens surviving, no eye suddenly popping open in the ocean, no hidden rifts somewhere. It was done. As such, if that is where the franchise ends, then I am okay with it.

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
Could someone tell me why del Toro can't seem to get any of his planned projects going? What's going on there?

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
IOwnTheSpire said:
Could someone tell me why del Toro can't seem to get any of his planned projects going? What's going on there?
It's because most of them are never massive blockbusters. Del Toro tends to make well-crafted, fun movies that generate a decent cult following, but not a ton of mainstream, big-money success. The movie industry is a lot like the game industry in that they are horrendously, overly risk-averse. They don't *like* new IP's (unless they're tied to proven money-making actors/directors). They like nice, safe, profitable franchises. The fact that Pacific Rim even got made at all remains huge aberration, all things considered. But they don't want a bunch of moderately-successful, niche movies... they all want to have the next Transformers, or Avengers, or whatever.

So, genuinely talented niche directors like Del Toro often wind up getting caught up in the gears. For example, Del Toro has been begging studios to let him make a movie adaptation of Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness" or years now. Part of the reason he's made popcorn-munchers like Pacific Rim and Hellboy has been to try and prove himself to the studio system so they'll finally turn him loose to do a full-on passion project.

But yeah, I know I'm disappointed. Pacific Rim was easily the best kaiju movie that year, and considering that the other was freaking Godzilla, that's saying something. It was a fun, popcorn-munching action movie, but you could *tell* that Del Toro was genuinely a fan of that genre and really enjoyed what he was doing.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Gosh darn it.
I just came from the article to here to say the same thing but I'm that upset.
I was looking forward to the next two Godzilla movies with Pacific Rim bridging the gap but apparently not.
It was about to be a really good time to be a giant monster fan, well, it still will be (minus Kong vs Godzilla; didn't like the original, I'm real skeptic of this new one) but this is a hard blow.
I'm gonna hope somebody else picks up the tab and pulls a really big rabbit out of a really big hat.
Pacific Rim's not dead, but it is in a coma, one I really hope it wakes up from.

BaronVH

Oct 22, 2009
I actually view this as a potentially good thing. Right now del Toro is in my top three working directors. His movies are amazing, and Pan's Labyrinth is essential viewing. He has more imagination in his left toenail than many people in Hollywood have in their entire extended family's bodies. He also has stated many times how he always has multiple projects in various states of development due to this very situation. Some people get upset when one of his projects don't come to fruition, and they erroneously fault him. Pacific Rim 2 is an example of that. Studio machinations causing a potentially fun movie to be cancelled. So, why do I say it is potentially good? I would rather see Hellboy 3, At the Mountains of Madness, or, gasp!, an original gothic horror film from a master. My hopes are that Crimson Peak does well, and Mountains is green lit. I liked Pacific Rim, but Pan and Devil's Backbone are classics. Imagine a Frankenstein with the actors speaking German with his artistic style on it. Or a Haunted Mansion for kids that is without slapstick humor (and the Eddie Murphy version is actually a guilty pleasure of mine). Or seeing the conclusion of Hellboy. Also, if you ever hear his speak, he has a genuine love for his films. When I hit the Powerball, I would gladly be a producer for him.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
That company probably thought the wall was a great idea in the first film and was mad it wasn't going to be included in the sequel.

Bah, sayonara to one of the only films I was looking forward to in the next year. All that's left is X-Men Apocalypse now :(

Bergthor86

Dec 6, 2013
BaronVH said:
-snip-

I would rather see Hellboy 3, At the Mountains of Madness, or, gasp!, an original gothic horror film from a master.

-snip-
I totally agree with this sentiment. I personally really liked Pacific Rim, and saw it three times in the cinema, but it very much feels like a standalone film, and I'm not that upset about a sequel not being made.

What does make me sad, however, is that there have been rumblings that some of del Toro's other big budget projects, such as Hellboy 3 and At the Mountains of Madness, might be dependant on the success of Pacific Rim 2. That is, if Pacific Rim 2 would have made decent box office, he might finally have got the greenlight for either of those two films. But now he doesn't have that chance to prove he can make a box office hit, so it will be even harder for him to do something else.

His smaller projects like Pinocchio or whatever might still be possible, I guess, and I'm sure they'll be great too if he does them. But I personally really want more big budget Guillermo films in my life, and this seems to be bad news on that front.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
What was the last project Del Toro finished?
Also, please use the search bar. It's your friend.

BaronVH

Oct 22, 2009
Souplex said:
What was the last project Del Toro finished?
Also, please use the search bar. It's your friend.
Many projects fall apart before they start shooting. Del Toro, unlike many in Hollywood, is very approachable and open. He is also very much a genre nerd (like many of us here), so he communicates extensively about his future projects. He has said that in the past, he would work on one film at a time; however, when those projects went away due to things out of his control, he felt it important to work on several projects at once. Spielberg does the exact same thing. Where is Robopocalypse? Indiana Jones 5? Tintin? Del Toro is simply more open. Another issue is del Toro does much of his own pre-production work.

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
Well, ain't that sad.
I was really expecting the sequel for Pacific Rim and it's super disappointing that it won't see the light of day.