Pacific Rim Beaten by Adam Sandler at Box Office

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
A thing about GU2. It's so bad that it is not shown in my country.
Meanwhile, yesterday at Pacific Rim showing, the seats were about 85-90% filled.

Although, about situation in America:
People were complaining about joks (or jogs? Doesn't matter) and fake nerd girls, and how geeky and nerdy stuff were taken away from "true ones". Well, rest assured, those people still are more interested in stupid comedies than in your (our) movies. Yay...

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
This is absolutely disgusting, everyone responsible for this happening makes me ashamed to be part of this species.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
I don't think I've ever disliked a movie as much as Pacific Rim. Sorry, people - and MovieBob, I know you love giant monster movies but Jesus, you should not have let this movie get away with being as dumb and cliched as it was.

I genuinely don't understand the big love this movie is getting here. I mean - sure, giant robots punching monsters in the face, it's fun enough in its way but *everything* about this movie was stupid. The plot was just like spending half an hour on TVTropes - when Idris Elba came in suited up I literally facepalmed. That fucking 'British Professor' character *actually said 'By Jove' at one stage*. And wrote equations on a giant blackboard.

And the big sword. The Big Fucking Sword! They might as well have joined the robots together into a giant MegaZorg.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Maybe superhero fatigue is kicking in and Pacific Rim caught the full brunt of it (it's not a superhero film but it's geek spectacle action which probably puts it really close and unlike the actual superhero films, it's got no previous pedigree to make people feel like they've almost got a duty to go and see it). It's sad, and I can't for the life of me think why people would want to watch Grown Ups 2. This is what happens to nice things :(

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Flatfrog said:
I don't think I've ever disliked a movie as much as Pacific Rim. Sorry, people - and MovieBob, I know you love giant monster movies but Jesus, you should not have let this movie get away with being as dumb and cliched as it was.

I genuinely don't understand the big love this movie is getting here. I mean - sure, giant robots punching monsters in the face, it's fun enough in its way but *everything* about this movie was stupid. The plot was just like spending half an hour on TVTropes - when Idris Elba came in suited up I literally facepalmed. That fucking 'British Professor' character *actually said 'By Jove' at one stage*. And wrote equations on a giant blackboard.

And the big sword. The Big Fucking Sword! They might as well have joined the robots together into a giant MegaZorg.
You are making me want to see this film even more.

I can see it being beaten by Despicable Me 2 because that film was pretty damn good. I rather enjoyed it, and the advertising value of the bloody minions is unbeatable, but being beaten by an Adam Sandler vehicle is....well it's embarrassing. Adam Sandler references his own films on his Facebook group. There is NOTHING worse than seeing a friend commenting on a picture posted by the Adam Sandler page, on which the caption is a pun involving the term 'Grown Ups'. I tried to talk that friend out of it. I really did. But there was no hope, no hope at all.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
I was kind of worried this would happen. I saw it twice this weekend, Friday and Saturday nights. Both times the theater was far from full.

Maybe Hollywood will do the right thing and realize that long-term potential and international markets matter more than just 3 days in American theaters? Oh who am I kidding.

Long term result will probably be I'll still never get my Mountains of Madness movie, but Adam Sandler and Kevin James will get more movies prominently featuring fart jokes. Hooray.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Interestingly enough, I've heard from some folks I know that live in asia where the film has opened the cinema's are packed.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Well shit.

But did anyone honestly not see this coming?
/cynicism

Oh well, I'll try to remedy this issue by dragging as many people I know as possible to go see it tomorrow.

TOMORROW, WE ARE CANCELLING THE BOX-OFFICALYPSE!
/terrible, terrible joke

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
Oh me oh my... I can't wait to see Movie Bob rip this factoid apart on Tuesday... We finally get an awesome movie and people go and see freaking Grownup 2 instead?! This is why we end up with shitty movies... :(

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Adam Sandler hasn't been 'funny' since like the 90s or early, early, 00s.

That any movie with him can do well shows you how much bad taste the 'average' movie goer has.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
I've actually been having trouble getting to a theater that was showing it: my local cinema isn't a small place, but it was only showing Pacific Rim twice a day, while it was giving World War Z 6 showings.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
The thing that bothers me about this however is the amount of weight being put on it. We are at the point now that the US domestic box office is NOT the beginning and end. More films these days more than make their gross worldwide following a less than stellar US run. The industry is not as US-centric as it once was.

YET it will be written off as a bomb, studios will lose faith long before any said film like this has time to perform worldwide.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Grown Ups 2... beat Pacific Rim? Grown Ups 2 beat Pacific Rim?! That's it!

Okay, I'll admit that Pacific Rim isn't perfect. But how in the HELL did a crappy Adam Sandler sequel to a crappy Adam Sandler movie beat it?!

wulfgar_red

Mar 15, 2013
who the hell watches Adam Sandler movies?

Pacific Rim is stupid movie. a good-stupid movie. it is worth watching.

Jenny Jones

Jun 10, 2013
Well in some ways I think it's down to taste just like how most (remember most does not mean all) women I know do not like watching action films as they're rather boring to them, while guys will make a sacred evening devoted to watching action films.

Though on the other hand Del Toro is a fantastic director and almost every film he's made to me has been great irrespective of genre which is why I will be seeing this.

Also I don't think you can judge a film by it's first week of showings, you should really wait till it has been out on DVD/blu-ray for a while before then. More so now that going to the cinema costs almost as much as buying it a few months later and the massive expansion of TV screens. I mean apart from sending a message that you want more of this type of film why would you want to go to a crowded theatre with mobiles ringing, people interrupting the movie and ewwww the floors sticky.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
https://situaciongrave.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/dislike.png

This makes me very sad...

Pacific Rim isn't for everyone, I get that, but it'll do fine

Why... oh, why... do people keep paying to see Adam Sandler be unfunny for two hours?

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Man Grown Ups 2 is so bad.
*sees commercial again*
Sooo...sooo bad.

I mean Sandler's never been a revolutionary comic, but watching his Best Of SNL DVD last night reminded me of how funny he could be. Simple stupid (but still funny!) comedy was always his thing. At some point he just stopped trying at all it seems.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I suggest it to all my friends and work colleagues. "Just go see it. You'll have a blast and enjoy the action. No it's not a deep movie, but it's an entertaining movie."