Pacific Rim Virtual Reality Combat Simulator Available at Comic-Con

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Pacific Rim Virtual Reality Combat Simulator Available at Comic-Con[/I]

<youtube=fIqwcpcgHwY>​
Legendary Pictures and Oculus want Comic-Con attendees to "drift with the rift" in Pacific Rim: Jaeger Pilot.

San Diego Comic-Con attendees have the chance from today through Sunday to become Jaeger pilots for a brief period in Legendary Pictures and Oculus' Pacific Rim: Jaeger Pilot. The virtual reality combat simulator allows players to control Gipsy Danger to fight against the kaiju Knifehead.

The promotional video for the event unfortunately does not give an example of what to expect from the cockpit of a Jaeger via the Oculus Rift. Pacific Rim: Jaeger Pilot uses the same assets FX studio Industrial Light & Magic used for the movie, and it's built in Unreal Engine 4.

The Jaegers of Pacific Rim are giant robots used to fight monsters threatening to destroy the world. Two pilots fight together, but they must be able to drift together - to move in sync and think in sync. Gipsy Danger is the American, mark-3 robot first seen in the beginning of the film. Hopefully pilots at Comic-Con will fare better.

The VR demo will be available all every day of the show at Legendary's booth #3920. [http://www.legendary.com/news/sdcc-2014/?src=homepage]

An X-Men VR demo [http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/23/oculus-rift-tuns-x-men-into-a-vr-head-trip/] is also making a presence at Comic-Con this weekend. Players will act as Charles Xavier using Cerebro, a device that amplifies his telepathy skills, to search for Mystique.

Source: Legendary Pictures [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIqwcpcgHwY]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/sdcc2014]

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Oh danm that sound awesome! Some people at the con better upload video of them playing it!

EdwardBerner

Mar 28, 2012
Alright, now just make it so that you need two people to play: the other controls the right half of the Jaeger, and the other the left half.
The, and only then, will "Drift with the Rift" be an appropriate slogan.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
This has to be combined with some carnival ride-esque simulator, so you actually feel yourself moving and shit, with gloves that give some awesome force feedback.

Fuck. Yes.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Dammit, why did I have to be born near the Atlantic?! Oh well, I'll just head down to Jersey and steal Megas.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
FalloutJack said:
Dammit, why did I have to be born near the Atlantic?! Oh well, I'll just head down to Jersey and steal Megas.
Hey if I steal Titan would you want a robot battle

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
This has to be combined with some carnival ride-esque simulator, so you actually feel yourself moving and shit, with gloves that give some awesome force feedback.

Fuck. Yes.
That's what I was thinking when I saw this.
Strap a huge God damn apparatus on me and rock me super hard.
That came out a bit sexier than I thought but I popped a boner anyway seeing this announcement.
And I want to be able to do the Cherno Alpha taunt.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I am wondering, WHY are they doing this?

This does not sound like it was a cheap presentation to spur DVD sales, this must of been a pretty pricey investment to make. We haven't heard anything about a sequel, and in fact a lot of things pointing that there will NOT be a sequel. The movie did ok at the box office, but nothing truly franchise building.

Will they announce the sequel? Is this going to be a game? They have to be doing this for SOME reason.

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Dude, get yourself an Oculus Rift and an elliptical and boom, you're a Jaeger pilot.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
There is only one song awesome enough to go along with this event. Take it away Miracle of Sound!

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
immortalfrieza said:
There is only one song awesome enough to go along with this event. Take it away Miracle of Sound!

That's exactly what I was thinking!

It's such a shame I am all the way over in Australia but this looks like fun!