Paid YouTube subscriptions are here

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
And I already don't like it. I've been watching YouTube since 2005-6 and it's always been free for whatever you wanted. Granted, content has improved in quality and the ads have been overwhelming but you still didn't need to pay out of pocket just to see a 10minute video from your favourite producer.

The counter-argument I'm seeing is "oh it's only x amount of money, don't complain and pay up!" Sure, but just because something is affordable doesn't mean you should pay it. Plus, you're paying per-subscription, rather than some gold-card that gets you everything so it's going to add up if you're not careful.
Paying per channel is the real sting here. Sure, if there's only one channel on the entire site you're interested in paying for then not much issue but if you want to watch maybe 4-5 "premium" channels then that's what? £15-£20 a month? Maybe more, who knows.
If they want to compete with Netflix then they're going to have to come up with a fairer pricing scheme.

Mostly I just see it as the beginning of a very slippery slope.

Here's a list of some of the first "premium" channels:

https://www.youtube.com/channels/paid_channels

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Th3Ch33s3Cak3 said:
inb4 where's the source OP?

Anyway, I can't see how this is bad. If it dosn't work, then they won't continue the idea any further.
Added in. I'm sure it will work, people have proven time and again that they will pay for anything. But I'm really hoping people will just keep their wallets closed though. I really don't like the potential roads a service like that opens up.

polymath

Aug 28, 2008
What's the big deal, it's not like the whole website is subscription based (which I'm pretty sure would be an act of suicide on their part). They're just making it so that if companies want to put up copyrighted material and use youtube like it's Hulu or something, they've the option of making some money off of their work, which they're entitled to do seeing as they're putting money on the line.

Youtube is a business, you may not like it, but it doesn't owe you anything, and it's not like it's making you pay for most of the stuff people already use youtube for.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Since youtube's ability to code stuff together is shit, I'm sure this will give them no end of trouble anyway.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
polymath said:
What's the big deal, it's not like the whole website is subscription based (which I'm pretty sure would be an act of suicide on their part). They're just making it so that if companies want to put up copyrighted material and use youtube like it's Hulu or something, they've the option of making some money off of their work, which they're entitled to do seeing as they're putting money on the line.

Youtube is a business, you may not like it, but it doesn't owe you anything, and it's not like it's making you pay for most of the stuff people already use youtube for.
That's my point though. It's just a select few, optional videos right now but what's to stop them building it up a few years down the line? Maybe even mess around with membership options to the point where you would have to pay for anything over a certain length of time.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
idarkphoenixi said:
That's my point though. It's just a select few, optional videos right now but what's to stop them building it up a few years down the line? Maybe even mess around with membership options to the point where you would have to pay for anything over a certain length of time.
The fact that its suicide. Most of the big Youtube content creators rely on easy access to their videos to build their audicence. They know that, so if Youtube tried to force subscriptions on them they will just leave.

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
Well from the looks of the channel list, I won't need to be worrying about this any time soon. Still not the biggest fan off this idea.

Simskiller

Oct 13, 2010
Looks like mostly tv channels, so it's like paying for a tv channel. But on the internet.

Also "gay direct"? Wtf? That's a thing? Seems a bit flamboyant, gays/bi's are normal people too you know, we're not special.

Captcha: French Fries

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Being that it's only up to the channel owner, I don't see a problem with it.
If a channel I enjoy starts doing it, I stop watching, and I'd imagine a lot of others would too, equating of course to lost subscribers, which no channel owner wants.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
You know what's upsetting me with these paid subscription channels? They're not available in my country. What bloody reason do they have for that?! Perfect chance for them to gain some extra cash and they TURN US DOWN. What copyright law is stopping them this time?

Otherwise, as long as the paid subscription thing doesn't become a mandatory thing, I'm fine with it. Of course, they probably still have commercials on those paid channels, in which case they can sit on it and twirl a long fucking time before they get a dime from me - although apparently they don't want my money. 'S fine, I'll just spend it all on hookers and blow[footnote]"Hookers and blow" in this case being codenames for "games and candy". I wouldn't even know where to find any hookers, let alone male ones.[/footnote]; take that, you exclusionary m-f:ers!

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I mean they already have movie rentals and stuff like that on youtube. A lot of these channels look to be the same as that but in a more "you get access to these movies/tv shows/whatever." I doubt they would force the model on anyone that makes content on yt.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
WELL this looks a bit scary honestly. Judging the by the channels, I haven nothing to worry about. However, I'm still a bit jumpy, that it might spread just maybe.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Kennetic said:
Well from the looks of the channel list, I won't need to be worrying about this any time soon. Still not the biggest fan off this idea.
Agreed, I don't recognize a single uploader except for The Laugh Factory.

FalloutJack said:
Since youtube's ability to code stuff together is shit, I'm sure this will give them no end of trouble anyway.
Wow, and here I thought I was the only one who thought this. It's such a pain to find things in order, even from the same uploader. I guess I never learned how to create playlists, but you'd think that with the uploader following a proper naming convention that YouTube would get them in order to begin with. Nope. Maybe that wasn't what you meant, but I agree with you nonetheless.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Youtube probably saw the insane amount of money Netflix is making and wanted in on some of that.

I haven't studied the subscription fee at all. I doubt Youtube is forcing any providers to be subscription-only. In which case, I guess it's fine. Those companies that would only use Youtube if it paid them lots of money can/will now do just that. And they wouldn't have for free.

It'll be a shame if lots of companies switch from free to subscription only. I could see a lot of people being legitimately disappointed by that. But I haven't studied it and honestly don't know what I don't know.

So yeah.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
FizzyIzze said:
Kennetic said:
Agreed, I don't recognize a single uploader except for The Laugh Factory.

FalloutJack said:
Wow, and here I thought I was the only one who thought this. It's such a pain to find things in order, even from the same uploader. I guess I never learned how to create playlists, but you'd think that with the uploader following a proper naming convention that YouTube would get them in order to begin with. Nope. Maybe that wasn't what you meant, but I agree with you nonetheless.
I refer to alot of things, just about any problem that you've observed, but mine are in the running of the vids and all the pitfalls they seem to have that didn't even occur before one of their grand updates.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
As long as the channels i watch don't become subscription, it's okay because it doesn't impact me, but once it does, those channels will be losing a subscriber

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
trollnystan said:
You know what's upsetting me with these paid subscription channels? They're not available in my country. What bloody reason do they have for that?! Perfect chance for them to gain some extra cash and they TURN US DOWN. What copyright law is stopping them this time?

Otherwise, as long as the paid subscription thing doesn't become a mandatory thing, I'm fine with it. Of course, they probably still have commercials on those paid channels, in which case they can sit on it and twirl a long fucking time before they get a dime from me - although apparently they don't want my money. 'S fine, I'll just spend it all on hookers and blow[footnote]"Hookers and blow" in this case being codenames for "games and candy". I wouldn't even know where to find any hookers, let alone male ones.[/footnote]; take that, you exclusionary m-f:ers!

That's a good question. I don't think I've ever seen a male hooker, just tons of ladies of the night. I wonder where they hide?

OP: Can't do anything about YouTube. I'll keep using it until I can't use it anymore, and that's that. It's a luxury that has always been a given anyway. It'd be crap to lose it but it's not like it's a right in the first place either.

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
trollnystan said:

That's a good question. I don't think I've ever seen a male hooker, just tons of ladies of the night. I wonder where they hide?

OP: Can't do anything about YouTube. I'll keep using it until I can't use it anymore, and that's that. It's a luxury that has always been a given anyway. It'd be crap to lose it but it's not like it's a right in the first place either.
Considering how some conservatives got in trouble for having sex with one I know male hookers exist somewhere. probably some specialty brothels or something. It always seems odd how male-hookers tend to service gay men when they are outnumbered by straight women. Then again, I guess the stereotype of more men liking casual sex is at least partially true. Wonder if its culture of nature.

Edit: On the OP, as has been said before (alot by Phillip DeFranco) it hardly matters. Don't want something? Don't buy it. Simple as that. Youtube and specific channels owe you nothing. And besides, free content is how youtube got big.