Panzer Dragoon Saga - What Happened?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Something for the Panzer Dragoon fans. It's bit sad about the development cycle, but it was not all for naught. Sega should really consider remaking all of the games, instead of just the first, and put them in a compilation pack at least.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Ive literally never heard of this franchise before. What system were these games on originally?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Ive literally never heard of this franchise before. What system were these games on originally?
Saturn. It was arguably one the defining franchises of the system. Likely Sega's answer to Star Fox, but imo the better games.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Saturn. It was arguably one the defining franchises of the system. Likely Sega's answer to Star Fox, but imo the better games.
Oh....that explains a lot then. Saturn was something i never got, I don't remember why because I almost always got the new consoles growing up because my divorced parents liked to buy my love. Wasn't that the system that came out just before the Playstation and the N64 where a thing and as a result just kinda faded away?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Oh....that explains a lot then. Saturn was something i never got, I don't remember why because I almost always got the new consoles growing up because my divorced parents liked to buy my love. Wasn't that the system that came out just before the Playstation and the N64 where a thing and as a result just kinda faded away?
Yes, it was a contemporary of the PS1 and N64, and yes, it wasn't a resounding success for Sega for variety of reasons, most of which were Sega's own fault.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
If you want to try the first Panzer Saga, the remake has been released on steam and consoles. I never really got into it and it seemed really short for the current price, although the xmas sale is like next week. Then again, I also only played it when I rented the saturn so maybe there is more to it then there seemed.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If you want to try the first Panzer Saga, the remake has been released on steam and consoles. I never really got into it and it seemed really short for the current price, although the xmas sale is like next week. Then again, I also only played it when I rented the saturn so maybe there is more to it then there seemed.
I'll be sure to pick this up on PS4 on a sale. Sega should have made them remake I & II. Zwei is the best game in the franchise followed by Orta. Branching paths, your dragon evolves in to different forms depending on the path you take, and excellent music. The difficulty is at the right challenge without being too easy nor too hard and frustrating. Orta is a great game, but suffers in the extremely hard category. Would gotten more bang for the buck.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Yes, it was a contemporary of the PS1 and N64, and yes, it wasn't a resounding success for Sega for variety of reasons, most of which were Sega's own fault.
The Sega Saturn...poor thing. Hoped it would be the Jupiter of consoles, but Sega had its head so far up Uranus, it fell back to the place of Neptune, before becoming as diminutive as Pluto.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Something for the Panzer Dragoon fans. It's bit sad about the development cycle, but it was not all for naught. Sega should really consider remaking all of the games, instead of just the first, and put them in a compilation pack at least.

Or at the very least re-porting them.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'll be sure to pick this up on PS4 on a sale. Sega should have made them remake I & II. Zwei is the best game in the franchise followed by Orta. Branching paths, your dragon evolves in to different forms depending on the path you take, and excellent music. The difficulty is at the right challenge without being too easy nor too hard and frustrating. Orta is a great game, but suffers in the extremely hard category. Would gotten more bang for the buck.
Well, I have good news for you. The dev posts on the steam forum and according to them a Zwei remake is already in the works.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Thank you. I want a physical version, and not just something from Limited Run Games.
Well, I mean that might not be an option, you could try posting there and asking them if they are planning on doing a physical release. But more and more games are only digital except for a few exceptions like the occasional 'fan gamer' or 'limited run games release'.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
I have Orta but never got to play any of the older ones, I just stumbled on that what happened episode the other day and am now very interested in trying Saga out. Too bad it's nearly unattainable.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
For those that need a fix, I highly recommend a similar rail shooter of equal quality such as Sin and Punishment: Star Successor. Be careful as this game is tough. Super tough. Developed by treasure. The same team behind Gunstar Heroes, Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun, and Ikaruga. I hope you kept your Wii or Wii U console. Wiimote and Nunchuck are the best way to play this game, but his versatile control options. You can even used Gamecube controllers.

There is also Asura's Wrath. It's more of a gameplay roulette, but has rail shooter sections that play similar to Panzer Dragoon. If you have an XBONE or Series X, the game and all of its DLC is backwards compatible.