Papo & Yo Review

D-Mc-G

Nov 17, 2009
Seems quite interesting, pity it's a ps3 only release as far as I can see.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Papo & Yo Review

Troubled but beautiful.

Read Full Article
I love your new avatar <3.

They way you describe the game, it kinda reminds me of Limbo, but waaay less somber, but still brutal. It's a shame it's a PSN exclusive, I'd definitely give this a chance.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
My wife was playing this game yesterday and got REALLY upset, like weepy. I didn't understand why until I took a look at it. Seeing how Quico loves that monster unconditionally despite how cruel it can be & how he might be better off without it strikes a very real chord for us because we're foster parents.

edit: The camera is your worst enemy for sure.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
This game looks really endearing, and one of those few examples where reviewers are universally insisting that the time and money is worth it despite technical and control issues. I also own a PS3, and would get a cut with plus. It's just...I'm afraid the subtext at hand may hit too close to home when push comes to shove and I'm engaged in the actual playing of it.

I second the notion that either way, it's very good that this game exists and with big backing, continuing Sony's tradition of Flower, Journey, and Everyday Shooter, essentially taking the high road. I downloaded the demo, so on a stronger day I'll probably dive in seeing as the praise is too hard to ignore.

Side note: When I first saw this game and the imagery for it, I thought that the leaving of key team ICO members caused Guardian to be cut and reduced to a PSN game. Boy and his giant monster and all that.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
That subtext seems really heavy, I'm going to play it anyway but I don't know how long I'll last.
It all seems a bit bitter-sweet.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
D-Mc-G said:
Seems quite interesting, pity it's a ps3 only release as far as I can see.
Ditto. As someone who faced abuse in my own youth, the concept makes me reflexively cringe- but were it available on PC, I might give it a try anyway, just to see how they handle the subject matter.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
I remember hearing about this game at least 2 years ago. I believe the person who came up with the idea of this game said something about it being about their alcoholic father. "Monster", as I am sure everyone could guess, was created as kind of representation of the dad.

It's a neat story really. Someone you love, who can't stop abusing something that turns them into your tormentor, and trying desperately to help them to quit.
I wonder if the people making it having firsthand experience with the topic helped them to make it so powerful with its delivery? Could someone who never experience this kind of thing have done as well?

D-Mc-G

Nov 17, 2009
Imp Emissary said:
I wonder if the people making it having firsthand experience with the topic helped them to make it so powerful with its delivery? Could someone who never experience this kind of thing have done as well?
I think they could have, the question I would ask is would they have gone through with the development/release at all if they hadn't had the experience. Given the sensitive issue of the subject, approaching it from the outside and turning it into a game, I could see it blowing up in their face publicity wise like so many other things.

JayElleBee

Jul 9, 2010
It's a great game, but definitely not one I'd be able to replay. I just finished it and I pretty much sobbed throughout the last level. It hit a lot closer to home than I was expecting it to. I'm glad I played it, but once was enough. ;__;

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
TizzytheTormentor said:
LUUUU LAAAA!

I had a friend who is planning to get this game and he played the demo and when you get the robot thing, we just spend ten minutes making her go LUUU LAAA!

Twas a fun evening.
Fortunately, except for that one section, you very rarely have to hear that LUUUULAAAAAA...which is enough to make you want to harm puppies. For the duration you have to put up with it, it's unendurable, but there are very few Lula switches after that.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Migs said:
Just a pity there is no Video Review of this...
I know. It was another time crunch. So either we'd post the review suuuuuuper late with a review, or in a more timely fashion without one. I chose the former. That was my call, and I do apologize for the lack of video.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
A buddy asked me my feelings on this game. I gave what I thought was a neutral assessment of the game. I told about the subject matter, the schizophrenic control setup, and how Monster ain't your friend, but rather indifferent/abusive to Quico.

He then asked me if I hated the game. I told him no. All of the problems with the game work in the subject matter.

Migs

Oct 13, 2010
Thanks for the report back Susan Arendt, much appreciate it.
As bad as it sounds, I barely read reviews anymore, but rather watch and hear reviews.
This way, I can see the gameplay and hear the critic of the game at the same time.

Often times, they simply don't match up, such as Mike Kayatta's review of Lollipop Chainsaw [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9756-Lollipop-Chainsaw-Review], The review came out undecided but leaning heavily on the no-fun-for-me-time-to-move-on scale - yet the gameplay shown just does't reflect that it is't a fun game at all...

This is why I rely on video reviews so heavily. Because often than not, its not always a review of A game but an opinion of someone who played the game.

The only rare occasion where an opinion matches up to the video game capture would be the very review you did almost a year ago. You said its a pretty bland and terrible game and the video footage clearly reflects that!(By the way, this is indefinably my most fave Escapist Video Review that puts me to giggles every*damn*time I watch it). [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/reviews/4775-X-Men-Destiny-Video-Review]