Paradox CEO Blasts GAME

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Marshall Honorof said:
The Paradox CEO cites the fact that EA and Nintendo have been unwilling to offer any assistance to GAME, despite the fact that the retail chain provides a good chunk of their sales in the region.
I wouldn't be surprised if EA are hoping their customers will all jump to Origin instead. Game may currently provide a big chunk of their income, but that chunk will only get bigger if they can get to their customers directly without needing a middleman.

TheKasp said:
I never paid more than 25? for my digital copies (those include titles like Serious Sam 3, Saints Row 3 [2 days after release], Bioshock, Warhammer 40k - Retribution and many more AAA games).

And you know what? If it weren't for retailers like GAME you would not see the 60$ on DD but a better deal all the time. Because those bastards refuse to stock games if you can get a better deal on DD platforms.
Indeed. It's the physical retailers that keep prices high. You have to be pretty much insane to buy even a brand new game for more than about £25 on Steam or from Amazon. It's exactly the same deal that happened with music - being able to walk into a shop and immediately pick up something physical is nice, but the ridiculous prices they insist on keeping mean it's just not worth it over waiting a bit for mail order or just downloading it.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
It really does serve them right... GAME had a clearance sale yesterday and didn't bother reducing any prices... That's not a sale.

And nobody is going to buy games like Farm Simulator or Truck Driver Simulator for £15... Stop stocking those or at least reduce prices.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
I like GAME. I don't know, maybe it was the fact that there was only one in my area, but I would always go there for console games. That or HMV. However, they've been in the shitter for a while now, and I was beyond disappointed that they didn't stock ME3. I wanted to pay for most of it on gift cards, because of money issues. Now I can't, so I'm going to go to HMV and trade in a few games to make up the difference.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
I used to love Game. Their customer support was top notch, I could talk to the staff about games for ages, and they genuinely loved games. However, not stocking Mass Effect 3 is going to kill them. Pre-ordered it in HMV earlier, the staff there were saying about how it's going to be the biggest game of the year, and I'm inclined to agree. Game are going to lose so much money just from this one release, and it'll be sad to see them go.

RIP Game. You will never be forgotten, but you will never be relied on for AAA titles again.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
For all the bad things people say about GameStop this end of the pond, GAME seems like so much worse. From what I've read, it's like they're charging $90 for a game when everyone else charges $60. That's insane.

If they're gonna be shady bout stuff like that, good riddance. I like my local GameStop. They've never been a problem.

PC Gamers have a right to be pissed though.
Not really. They charge £40 for new games over here, that's how much everyone else charges. I don't even know what's so shady about them. They charge next to nothing for most used games too. The only rip off is that if people trade in games for next to nothing, but that's their own fault really.

Orc Town Grot

Mar 11, 2011
Frederick Wester better watch his own bad karma. Paradox Interblahblah are rersponsible for plenty of BAD games.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
I always preferred Gamestation. I appreciate they're owned by the same company, but Gamestation always felt like it was for Gamers where as GAME felt like it was for parent's buying for their kids.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I have not bought anything from GAME in years because everything is cheaper online and the servise while not bad in my local GAME was nowhere near good. I will however remember it fondly through as I met my first girlfriend there :)

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
dogstile said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
For all the bad things people say about GameStop this end of the pond, GAME seems like so much worse. From what I've read, it's like they're charging $90 for a game when everyone else charges $60. That's insane.

If they're gonna be shady bout stuff like that, good riddance. I like my local GameStop. They've never been a problem.

PC Gamers have a right to be pissed though.
Not really. They charge £40 for new games over here, that's how much everyone else charges. I don't even know what's so shady about them. They charge next to nothing for most used games too. The only rip off is that if people trade in games for next to nothing, but that's their own fault really.
Some gamers can be very precious over little things, ie; a GAME employee not knowing what some obscure jRPG title is so vow to never shop there again in a hissyfit then subsequently ***** about it on forums with much pomp and hyperbole.

Their prices for brand new games on day one are pretty much identical or cheaper than the likes of Amazon and ShopTo (it's disappointing people shop with the latter after all the fraud), plus they usually have much better pre-order exclusives.

Gamestation will be an even bigger loss as they are pretty much the only company to stock retro gaming systems, people will eventually realise that despite some of their ills, the GAME group folding will only have negative impacts on gaming in general. Supermarkets leading the charge is folly, and the general public need to have a brick and mortar gaming presence on the high-street.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
In the GAME close to where I live, their PC section is tiny, it is literally 1 stack of shelves, and that's mostly World of Warcraft or BF3, and some stupid games like farm simulator, and console games have free reign of the rest of the store.

Comando96

May 26, 2009
Darth_Dude said:
Really? I've had the same disk since I bought it, waay back in...2008 I believe it was.

Although, the bastards never gave me a CD key, so I cant play online :(
Das Boot said:
You know I really have to question what you are doing to these disks to break so many of them.
RTW is my most played Total War game.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Comando96/games?tab=all
I don't own it on steam but have a look there to see what "most played" is up against :)

The first disk is easy to explain... I was younger and that disk spent a lot of time upside-down gathering dust on my desk.

The next disk which I looked after properly just... wore out... :s

Dosbilliam

Feb 18, 2011
Country
US
weirdguy said:
Might as well rename this article "Paradox CEO Blasts Dead Horse".
But since Magicka (only Paradox game I own) is effectively unplayable for about 87% of the people who own it, you could also rename it "Paradox CEO Blows it Out His @#$@" for about how many people will care about his opinion.>:p

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Marshall Honorof said:
but only if it closes up underperforming shops, liquidates most of its assets, and sells itself to U.S. analogue GameStop.
'cos nothing says "good business practise" and "positive karma" like fucking GameStop, amirite?

I'm not shedding any tears that GAME has closed its doors (though I'm not exactly giddy about those who worked there being let go. Being unemployed sucks :/) but GameStop is even worse.