Paradox Interactive Acquires Overlord Developer Triumph Studios

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Paradox Interactive Acquires Overlord Developer Triumph Studios

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1416/1416650.jpgTriumph Studios, the developer behind Overlord and Age of Wonders, is now part of Paradox Interactive.

Paradox Interactive is pretty well known these days for the games it publishes, like Cities Skylines, Tyranny, Crusader Kings II, pillars of Eternity, and more. Its list of properties got a bit longer today, as the Swedish publisher announced that it has acquired Triumph Studios.

Triumph has developed some games you've likely heard of - Age of Wonders and Overlord. As part of the deal, the company's founders, Lennart Sas and Arno van Wingerden, will be staying on, and Paradox says that "all ongoing projects will remain in development." Obviously, those projects will now be published by Paradox.

In the official statement announcing the acquisition, Paradox CEO Fredrik Wester said, "Triumph Studios is a developer of our own heart. They are world-leading within their niche and have built a large and dedicated community over the years, counting quite a few Paradox employees among their hardcore fans. We have great faith in Lennart, Arno and the Triumph team, and our main focus now is to ensure that they can continue to create their magic under new ownership."

The statement also quotes Triumph Studios CEO and co-founder, Lennart Sas, who says of the acquisition, "We have been approached by others before with an interest to acquire us, but this is not merely a business transaction for us. This is a liaison with a partner that can help us grow sustainably by ensuring the stability and continuity needed for us to do more of what we do best - develop some of the best turn-based strategy games on the market today. Paradox is a good match for us both culturally and games-wise. They get it. It's as simple as that, and we are extremely excited about the acquisition."

There's no word on the financial terms of the deal, but it certainly seems like a good fit for all involved.

Gashad

Apr 8, 2009
ffronw said:
There's no word on the financial terms of the deal, but it certainly seems like a good fit for all involved.
Swedish media is reporting that Paradox paid 4 million euro cash, and they will pay up to 21 million euro more over the next years (the exact amount will be based on performance).

An english source:

https://www.nordnet.se/mux/web/analys/nyheter/visaNyhet.html?itemid=133541011&sourcecode=wkr

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Welp, new game, Mount and Overlord. Travel the lands, gather minions, and take over castles.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Saelune said:
Welp, new game, Mount and Overlord. Travel the lands, gather minions, and take over castles.
I'd be excited about that if there weren't the recent statements, policies and DLCs. I hope they won't fuck up M&B Bannerlord as they did their 4-years-old game, EU IV.

I hope they won't fuck up Cities: Skylines.

Different topic. Here's me hoping for a proper sequel to a very addictive game!

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Saelune said:
I... I had no idea how much I wanted that game until you said it. If it was primarily overlord gameplay and world style but with more M&B free form. Just....

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I'm a big fan of Age of Wonders III, so if it means they get more work on stuff like that, I'm all for it.

Or if they get the chance to make an Overlord game that is actually just a good game instead of a really good bad game, I'd look forward to that too.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
As a gaming site with a limited staff the Escapist obviously must curate what news they chose to publish. I have however noticed that for some reason most of the things that Paradox does warrant a news item. Is there any particular reason for this?

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
That's actually some good news right there. Maybe they'll be able to revive and fix the problems with the Overlord franchise now after they dumped it due to the travesty that was the co-op game.

Saelune said:
I'm pretty sure this would have been the perfect evolution of the franchise.