Paranormal Activity - The Ghost Dimension - The Worst One Yet?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Paranormal Activity - The Ghost Dimension - The Worst One Yet?

Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension is the promised conclusion of the Paranormal Activity franchise. Please, oh please, let this be the last one.

Read Full Article

BayouStalker

May 31, 2011
Kinda sad really. I know they get a lot of crap, but I always felt the first and third one were decent enough. The second and forth were complete and utter trash though. Maybe I was hoping it was going to pull an odd = good, even = bad sort of thing. While I might have hoped for the best, the fourth movie pretty much made me go "Ahahahahahaaha nope." so my expectations were pretty low.

You know, I have a soft spot for shaky cam stuff. I know a lot of people hate it but I always liked the general feel of it overall. That said, there are very few shaky cam movies that I like because most tend to be crap.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
BayouStalker said:
Kinda sad really. I know they get a lot of crap, but I always felt the first and third one were decent enough. The second and forth were complete and utter trash though.
I totally agree with you.

For me, the first one actually gave me chills. It scared me as much as any horror film can, and was a crowning pinnacle to the mountain of found footage films, first effectively kicked off by Blair.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Hey now, there's still some entertainment value to these movies!

...that being that it's fun to watch the Cinema Sins channel ripping them to shreds! :3

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Oh no! What will the producers fall back on once they realise people are getting bored with the highly cost-effective method of found-footage style horror? I admit that it is an effective genre, when done right. But all I ever see are people using it as a cheap/effective marketing technique. I meam, come on! Just use your imagination, people. Take mine! I dont care, it's better than this :p

Edit: I get shown a lot of terrible low budget films by friends that have no taste. I understand the pain of having to go through this shit. Though i'm working on them paying me for it ;)

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I can't even remember how many they have made. Is this the 6th? I suppose it doesn't matter really does it?

As a broader question, are there any movies that use jump scares effectively? Personally, I have always found it to be a cheap tactic you use when you need to grab peoples attention.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
BayouStalker said:
Kinda sad really. I know they get a lot of crap, but I always felt the first and third one were decent enough. The second and forth were complete and utter trash though. Maybe I was hoping it was going to pull an odd = good, even = bad sort of thing. While I might have hoped for the best, the fourth movie pretty much made me go "Ahahahahahaaha nope." so my expectations were pretty low.

You know, I have a soft spot for shaky cam stuff. I know a lot of people hate it but I always liked the general feel of it overall. That said, there are very few shaky cam movies that I like because most tend to be crap.
I find the first three to be the strongest, with 4 having some REALLY solid moments that... don't salvage the rest of the film and Marked Ones being a even less interesting movie tone wise compared to 4.

I too have a soft spot for Found Footage. Even films people shit on like Cloverfield, Diary of the Dead and Quarantine... But the genre works for me! I'm willing to sit through the SHIT if it means I can get a really immersive and pseudo-documentary experience. And while we will still get total shit like As Above/So Below and Project Almanac, there are parts of it that will still work. And while we won't always get unique entries like REC or Blair Witch Project... We do get REALLY REALLY GOOD MOVIES that get what the genre is about, like fucking Grave Encounters or V/H/S, productions that really get what it's all about and try to sell the shtick that this style of film as hard as they can.

I will gladly continue to wade through the crap for the hopes of every once in a while getting something that's legitimately awesome.

ShadowGandalf01

Oct 3, 2011
I enjoyed the first 3 movies, I thought the 4th was rubbish and made no sense in context to 2's ending, and I didn't bother with The Marked Ones. I won't bother with this one either. Not because of this review, I don't let reviews influence my decisions, but because of the trailer. It looked rubbish. For me, this franchise ended with Paranormal Activity 3.