Parents Group Denounces Supreme Court Decision

VGC USpartan VS

Feb 14, 2011
Dear PTC,

Be a parent and look at what your kids are playing, don't complain to the Supreme Court that games are going to hurt your children in some way.

Thanks,
Gamers Everywhere

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
I think this might come off as slightly immature but I believe this President Tim Winter might be... butthurt :p

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
You know, if you're genuinely worried about your kids having any contact with sex or violence, I'd make darn sure they avoid that... shady bible book.

There's more gratuitous sex and violence in it then any video game or movie I've ever seen.

Retronana

Nov 27, 2010
Chibz said:
You know, if you're genuinely worried about your kids having any contact with sex or violence, I'd make darn sure they avoid that... shady bible book.

There's more gratuitous sex and violence in it then any video game or movie I've ever seen.
Good point, presumably these parents are christian and expose their children to material that suggests it was okay for God to kill millions of evil people through a flood despite the fact there were undoubtedly young children and babies among the dead.

But no, one sign of nipple in a video game and PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Clive Howlitzer said:
It sounds more like the lazy parents group to me. They want the government to regulate everything for them so that they don't have to do any parenting.
Need more be said?

Also am I the only one who thinks the PTC are like the PETA of video games, but without all the hush-hush about murdering the animals they rescue?

The PTC needs to be taught a lesson in responsibility. Two decades ago.

Seieko Pherdo

May 7, 2011
"This ruling replaces the authority of parents with the economic interests of the videogame industry. With no fear of any consequence for violating the videogame industry's own age restriction guidelines, retailers can now openly, brazenly sell games with unspeakable violence and adult content even to the youngest of children"

If this is true then why do I have to show ID when buying an M rated game, when these group of parents who loathe taking the time to raise their own kids can give me a logical answer to this is when I will stop thinking these people are morons. Though I HIGHLY doubt that will ever happen.

jacobythehedgehog

Jun 15, 2011
I don't think this TV club knows what the bill is about... anyway it is rather interesting that they would fight hard to ban violent video games, but yet if the parent buys the child a violent video game the TV club has no say.

Cobalt180

Jun 15, 2010
I have not really read into their movement, but the fact that they are a fledgling organization that seeks to make games unobtainable for minors due to claims of 'excessive violence' and 'adult themes' is quite remarkable, as the ESRB has the task of determining how bad a game is based on it's content. For example, the Flood in Halo immediately gave the game an 'M' rating, due to their gory parasitic nature. That makes sense, as Tommy-4-year-old won't want to think that a spider-like creature could get him and turn him into a monster. However, a question I'd like to ask these parents is: "How old does a child have to be in order to play a game like Halo, where your objective can be simplified into, 'don't get killed by the aliens trying to kill you and kill them before they can'?"

I suppose I might be wrong, but I think that the ESRB has already been exposed for poor standards and enforcement of penalties, and based on the improvement to 80%, I'd say that's a positive step.

The Supreme Court had a valid reason for overturning this, it violated the Bill of Rights, the 1st Amendment of this nation's constitution, one of the principles many have said created this nation, and they would complain that it is an inconvenience and a danger to their children? A parent's involvement with their child should not be relaxed with federal rules that validate a parent's opinion on a media that they do not examine or attempt to regulate themselves. They should constantly watch and review the game in order to come up with real arguments as to object to the child's buying it.

One other thing I would like to point out, is if this can be said for video games, what of violent movies? Advertisements on television at primetime? Cartoons? Videogames are the newest and latest thing to be scrutinized and demonized, why, in the 1960's comic books of all things (superman/batman-esque) were said to be a breeding ground of delinquency, much like what was said here, and so much so that Congress backed those claims up.

What does that say about this argument here?

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
That means movies, books, music, and TV should be treated the same. This crap is getting old now, if those four have no problem video games shouldn't either

joemegson94

Aug 17, 2010
The PTC - the clowns of the internet.

Srsly though, they claim to be concerned for their kids, yet they apparently let them go to video game shops on their own and buy adult games, then let them play them. That's the only way it can happen: if they let it happen.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
believer258 said:
"This ruling replaces the authority of parents with the economic interests of the videogame industry. With no fear of any consequence for violating the videogame industry's own age restriction guidelines, retailers can now openly, brazenly sell games with unspeakable violence and adult content even to the youngest of children," Winter said.
[HEADING=1]THEN FUCKING WATCH WHAT YOUR KIDS PLAY, ASSHOLE![/HEADING]

Excuse me, couldn't help myself.

Really, these parents need to shutup. No one replaced the parents' authority to watch what their kids played.
this, so much this its not funny.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Jegsimmons said:
also, just because the court says they can sell video games to younger kids....doesnt mean they dont have a store policy saying they wont.

after all gamestop requires a guardians permission for games that are not age appropriate for younger kids.
i used to be asked ID when i bought M rated videogames (back when i looked younger), most stores don't sell M rated games to kids anyway so i don't see why they're even bothering to try to make a law about it