Parents on Facebook

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
My mom's not on Facebook, and my dad's no friend of mine, but I've got an ex whose mom is on FB and it's pretty horrifying.

My ex's status: I got caught in the rain. Fucking sucks.

Her mom: Hope you didn't get a cold! Hugs! <3 <3

Are any of your parents annoying you on Facebook? If so, how? Details, people! Anecdotes, people!

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
My mum's on Facebook, but she was cool with me ignoring the friend request and all my privacy is set to max so it's all cool, really.

My ex's mum and dad were on Facebook and that was interesting at times.
My current girlfriend's mum's on Facebook, but not as intrusive/active as my ex's parents.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Yeah, relatives on facebook are sort of changing the whole experience compared to what it was a few years ago. More often than not one of them will reply to something I put up which is leading me to make updates a lot less regular. I imagine the success of facebook in getting everyone to use it will be what kills it off in the end, as you simply don't want to share everything with everyone.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Luckily my parents aren't very tech savvy, and they don't really have any interest in Facebook or social networking, so it's not likely to be a problem for me any time soon. One of my Grans has FB and I'm friends with her, but again it doesn't really matter since she never uses it, she doesn't even have a profile picture uploaded.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Esotera said:
Yeah, relatives on facebook are sort of changing the whole experience compared to what it was a few years ago. More often than not one of them will reply to something I put up which is leading me to make updates a lot less regular. I imagine the success of facebook in getting everyone to use it will be what kills it off in the end, as you simply don't want to share everything with everyone.
You could simple make sure that the updates aren't visible to your parents. A friend of mine used that to come out of the closet.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Queen Michael said:
My mom's not on Facebook, and my dad's no friend of mine
'cause your dad don't dance and if he don't dance, then he's no friend of mine.

Queen Michael said:
Are any of your parents annoying you on Facebook? If so, how? Details, people! Anecdotes, people!
Nope. Had FB a few years ago, jacked it in, got it again later but made sure to only add *actual* friends this time. No more people from school I lost contact with because I genuinely didn't give a shit about them. My parents are not my friends on there either, but mostly for their own protection: I don't want them to see the kind of ridiculous shit my weirder friends might decide to post on my wall.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
My mum's on facebook, but I've blocked her. In fact, the first thing I did when I got facebook again last year was track down every aunt, uncle, cousin, cousin's partner, family friend, you name it, and block them all.

There are things you want to share with your friends, and things you want to share with your family. There's always going to be some overlap, but overall I think creating a place where everything is shared with both is a recipe for disaster. Bear in mind that on facebook it's not just down to you to keep things appropriate for your parents, any one of your friends could make an awkward or incriminating comment and... yeah, no. Count me out.

My sister is the one exception to the "no family" rule, and even then we take deliberate care not to stalk each other too much.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I don't really use it, but the above reasons are apparently why it is losing so much popularity. People used it to network with friends, but got fed up with family and such being nosy and getting involved with stuff.

After all, if somebody goes out and gets drunk, with their friends taking embarrassing pictures, how many are going to want their parents commenting on them?

I cannot speak for other countries, but employers can use it against you as well over here. If you had a bad day at work, vented on Facebook about it and your company saw it, that'd be grounds for disciplinary action.

So Facebook is generally best kept between real/close friends a far as I am concerned.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I have my parents on Facebook but seeing as none of us are on it regularly, nothing really comes of it.

Qwurty2.0

Apr 21, 2011
I never really got into social media because my intrusive dad was on facebook and basically stalked my sister's FB account. He would message and friend her freinds, and he would harass or punish her if she blocked him in any way.

So I was like, "Fuck that. :/" and never got one until college where he couldn't get me, lol.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
My mum is but she doesn't use it. Actually she doesn't know how to, she doesn't understand putting email addressees and passwords in so she doesn't go on it.
Her friends think she's really rude because she never talks to them on it but she just doesn't go on it.
It's good because me and my sister were planning her birthday party rather publicly a few weeks ago.
My Stepdad is on it and usually tells my mum anything major I put on it.

I've got all my aunties and uncles, my oldest auntie lectured me about using **** a while ago. In her words, "You can use fuck and bastard but not the c word please" LOL.
Apart from that, they don't really bother me. I don't see them often so I talk to them on there.

UniversalRonin

Nov 14, 2012
Well, my mums brown bread, so no worries there. My dad's on facebook, but never uses it, my step mum is on it, and uses it to keep in touch with friends, and to see baby pictures & etc, so no worries there either. But then, most importantly, I haven't used facebook for years. So, uh, yeah. No worries at all. But even when I was on it, it never bothered me, we're a tight family (Step mum included.) and like to keep our business between ourselves. So you knew that an 'odd' post would at worst warrant a concerned phone call.

Still, honestly I got bored of the constant format changes, bitching, one-upmanship, and just the general bollocks involved with being on there. Including those flipping application requests. 'Oh no- This little kitten needs a home! Will you look after it?' '.... Sure. Just get me a decent sack and a shovel......'

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Nope, my parent as not so adept when it come to new technologies. Granted I know a few of my relative do have a Facebook account but they aren't it all the time.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
No, because I refuse to use Facebook, and because my parents tend to just say it to me irl, they would never bother with doing it over social media, which I guess is good...?(Then again, they are blunt in their approach, so can't say)

I just don't see the appeal, the only kind of social media that I find useful is Skype and Twitter.

Everything else is irrelevant.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
My daughter is 13 and we made it a condition of being on Facebook that she friended us. We don't post on there (social death, obviously) but I just didn't think it was appropriate.

In all honesty, though, I'm not sure what the problem is. It seems pretty idiotic to me to use Facebook to post anything you'd be ashamed for your parents to see. Having said that, I get on well with my parents and my kids so what do I know?

Simonism451

Oct 27, 2008
My parents mistrust Facebook (and Google and Microsoft), so no.
I've got two aunts, a cousin and my sisters on there though. They either generally leave me alone or blanket like everything I post. It's a little weird but doesn't really bother me.
I don't tend to post stuff that I would mind my boss seeing on there, though, so maybe it's different for other people.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
My dad literally called me to tell me to delete a status where I swore. I blocked him from after I realized he also thought that the number of things I commented on was a fair measure of how long I stayed on Facebook.

Ashhearth

May 26, 2009
Funnily enough my mom got a facebook before I ever did and uses it to network with other professional flute players world wide XD I am actually friends with both my parents but since I rarely post my parents rarely comment. My brother and I use it to talk semi-regularly since I'm out of state though

Jayse

Sep 22, 2009
My mother actively uses Facebook and I've got her added.
Thing is, she's really cool when it comes to half the strange shit I say and more often than not, wouldn't even understand what I was going on about anyway (Or so she claims).
My friends seems to get a kick out of seeing her like certain posts. For example I once posted a pic of my new body pillow only to have her like the picture.